Lie of the year, 2011 yeah it's democrats

Aetna and Cigna have always been private companies. When were they "privatized?"

He's talking about private companies getting their hooks into more and more of the senior healthcare business.

So "privatized" means trying to grow your business?

It's about the 80 year old grandmother having to fight tooth and nail (or have someone fight for her) to get her healthcare bills paid by companies whose business model, whose means of making as much profit as they can,

is based on collecting as much premium as possible and paying as few claims as possible.

So the fact that they don't give it away for free means they are evil?

Is the grocery store evil because grandma has to "fight tooth and nail" to get food? Can you name one company who's business model doesn't include making as much as they can while keeping their expenses as low as possible?

My credit union. My electric co-op. That's 2. Both of them are designed to break even and because of that,

both of them offer better service at a lower price than do their for-profit counterparts.

Citgo is an oil company. They certainly sell something.
You probably mean Cigna. Cigna provides insurance. They are not "middlemen" as they sell a product, namely insurance.
By your "logic" lawyers, accountants and engineers are middlemen too.

The "product" provided by any insurance company is a bureaucracy to track money.

We pay the health insurance executive class 6 to 8 figures yearly to do something any 10th grader with a computer could do.

If we can't have a true public option those bastards need to be forced to compete at least as intimately as We regulate the Auto Insurance Industry to compete.

Tying our health coverage to our employer was also the most stupid idea since war, by the way.
You don't know much about insurance, do you?
I agree that giving a tax break to companies for providing insurance is dumb. People need to be responsible for their health insurance just like their car insurance.

You know one party wanted to allow sales across state lines to increase competition, right?

I know a LOT about insurance. I work for one of the biggest bureaucracies in America.

Besides, if you start off with "You don't know much about insurance, do you?" it's customary to counter the argument or at least post a point to ponder.

"People need to be responsible..." is simply an indisputable truth that says nothing about the business or structure of any insurance bureaucracy.

As far as the one party that at one time was allowed by the health industries lobbies to blow some smoke about competition across state lines...
*yawn* Not impressed.

If you think that all an insurance company does is provide a bureaucracy to track money then you clearly are ignorant.
WHich party opposed allowing free competition? Yeah, the Democrats.

Politifact, which is supposed to police false claims in politics, has announced its Lie of the Year — and it’s a statement that happens to be true, the claim that Republicans have voted to end Medicare.

Steve Benen in the link above explains it, but let me just repeat the basics. Republicans voted to replace Medicare with a voucher system to buy private insurance — and not just that, a voucher system in which the value of the vouchers would systematically lag the cost of health care, so that there was no guarantee that seniors would even be able to afford private insurance.

The new scheme would still be called “Medicare”, but it would bear little resemblance to the current system, which guarantees essential care to all seniors.

How is this not an end to Medicare? And given all the actual, indisputable lies out there, how on earth could saying that it is be the “Lie of the year”?

The answer is, of course, obvious: the people at Politifact are terrified of being considered partisan if they acknowledge the clear fact that there’s a lot more lying on one side of the political divide than on the other. So they’ve bent over backwards to appear “balanced” — and in the process made themselves useless and irrelevant.

Way to go, guys.

The answer is, of course, obvious: the people at Politifact are terrified of being considered partisan if they acknowledge the clear fact that there’s a lot more lying on one side of the political divide than on the other. So they’ve bent over backwards to appear “balanced” — and in the process made themselves useless and irrelevant.

What a crock of shit.

If you think that all an insurance company does is provide a bureaucracy to track money then you clearly are ignorant.

Both parties did EXACTLY what the Insurance Lobby told them to do. Any smoke blown up the skirt of America about health insurance bureaucracies being more competitive was a joke allowed solely to garner votes.

Educate me.

What exactly does your health care bureaucracy do for you besides track how much money you and your employer give them in a year against how much money the government and/or a team of attorneys and a judge forced them to pay out in claims on your behalf?

Both parties did EXACTLY what the Insurance Lobby told them to do. Any smoke blown up the skirt of America about health insurance bureaucracies being more competitive was a joke allowed solely to garner votes.

Educate me.

What exactly does your health care bureaucracy do for you besides track how much money you and your employer give them in a year against how much money the government and/or a team of attorneys and a judge forced them to pay out in claims on your behalf?
You clearly do not understand what insurance is. Therefore you are a noob. It is not my job to educate you. I can ridicule you so maybe you'll be ashamed enough to go learn it yhourself.

So the fact that they don't give it away for free means they are evil?

Is the grocery store evil because grandma has to "fight tooth and nail" to get food? Can you name one company who's business model doesn't include making as much as they can while keeping their expenses as low as possible?

My credit union. My electric co-op. That's 2. Both of them are designed to break even and because of that,

both of them offer better service at a lower price than do their for-profit counterparts.

Your electric co-op is a government protected and government subsidized monopoly. That's hardly what I call a "private business."

Credit unions also receive all kinds of special treatment from the government. They still only give slightly better rates than private banks. Furthermore, they aren't available to the general public. Only select groups of employees in certain businesses can belong.

If healthcare was run like a credit union, then it will still exclude people with existing conditions. It wouldn't insure anyone who didn't pay the premiums. It would still leave people free to purchase insurance elsewhere.

If that's the model you want, fine with me.

You didn't answer the question as to whether the grocery store is evil since it's run on exactly the business model you claim you despise.

Last edited:

Educate me.

You clearly do not understand what insurance is. Therefore you are a noob. It is not my job to educate you. I can ridicule you so maybe you'll be ashamed enough to go learn it yhourself.
The programmed answer of a typical ELITIST CON$ervative ALINSKYITE.

December 06, 2011
RUSH: Part and parcel, folks, of being an elite is thinking everybody else is dumber than you are! Part and parcel of being an elite or an elite wannabe is thinking everybody's stupid compared to you.

Rule 5: Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. It’s hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

November 11, 2009
RUSH: I think that's the fastest way to persuade people, you know, is to ridicule and make fun of the people that you're having problems with.

Educate me.

December 06, 2011
RUSH: Part and parcel, folks, of being an elite is thinking everybody else is dumber than you are! Part and parcel of being an elite or an elite wannabe is thinking everybody's stupid compared to you.

Rule 5: Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. It’s hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

November 11, 2009
RUSH: I think that's the fastest way to persuade people, you know, is to ridicule and make fun of the people that you're having problems with.
Ed the liar at his very best at failing.

December 06, 2011

November 11, 2009
Ed the liar at his very best at failing.

How the fuck can ANY lies be involved? The only thing out there for comment is a couple of opinions from myself, one from ed, and a couple of well-worn talking points by The Rabbi.

Why is it people insist on calling opinions that they disagree with "lies"? :dunno: It's laughable.

Most of those who said the Ryan Medicare plan ended Medicare said that it ended Medicare as we know it.

Replacing the current system with a mandatory voucher system that requires seniors to buy coverage from private companies is in no way 'Medicare as we know it'.

Not a lie. The absolute truth.

PolitiFact | Lie of the Year 2011: 'Republicans voted to end Medicare'

Republicans muscled a budget through the House of Representatives in April that they said would take an important step toward reducing the federal deficit. Introduced by U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, the plan kept Medicare intact for people 55 or older, but dramatically changed the program for everyone else by privatizing it and providing government subsidies.

Democrats pounced. Just four days after the party-line vote, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee released a Web ad that said seniors will have to pay $12,500 more for health care "because Republicans voted to end Medicare."

Yeah over here in Oregon there are LOTS of ads on TV by Democrats running for office that make that claim. In fact I would say nearly all of them say something like "I will stand up against the Republicans' effort to kill Medicare." It's unreal, but you know....people believe it so it gets votes.

Forum List

Back