Libya: Whats Next?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Charles_Main, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    So the Bastard is dead, and that is Great. Kudos to Obama, and everyone involved for getting his ass.

Now, Are we going to stay Involved or just let events run their course?

My Predictions if we do not make a substantial effort to stop it is this.

Libya has 13 Major Tribes and 3 Distinct Regions. I don't think we have seen the end of the fighting. Libya is another country put together by Colonial Powers, that has no real reason to be a country, nothing that Unites them as a people, there is in fact a lot of conflict and Rivalry among the Tribes, and a Huge Difference between the 3 Regions of the Country. The Oil the Country has is all on one Area. It is hard to see them different Factions not fighting over control of the Oil and the Country.

I Predict the end result will be either Libya Split into more than once Country, or Libya United By Force by one Groups Oppressing the others. I give the chances of a stable Democracy coming out of this, with out Massive engagement by the west, about .000001%.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,393
    Chances of any country in which there is a low level of education becoming a democracy are low. I don't think that most Libyans want us or the europeans deciding there future. And, given past efforts to control the course of other nations politics, I say let the Libyans decide the fate of Libya. They put up the fight that ousted Gaddafi, they deserve a chance at real self determination.

3. FactFinder

FactFinder VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +237
    What's next? They will bumble about between tribes and attempt to elect a leader. The West will try to install the former princes but the people/rebels may reject that and then God forbid, The Islamic Brotherhood may come into power. In the meantime we should mind our business. Let them do what they will. It is their country. Why should we give a crap. Noone yet has provided even an unreasonable answer.

4. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    A reasonable prediction in the short run. Stable democracies take time, though. I think in the long run (many decades) the odds of a stable democracy are much higher.

5. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    Maybe, But like I said, the People of libya do not really have any Reason to stay United.

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,887
    Yea, well he didn't deserve a normal Muslim burial `cause he wasn't a good, peaceful Muslim...
    :tongue:
    Libyan official says Gadhafi buried at dawn
    – Longtime Libyan dictator Moammar Gadhafi, his son Muatassim and a top aide were buried in an Islamic ceremony at dawn Tuesday in a secret location, with a few relatives and officials in attendance, officials said.

7. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,887
    Guess dis pretty well sums it up...
    :cool:
    Summary of the American and International Press on the Libyan Revolution
    27/10/2011 - NATO postpones formal decision to conclude Libya mission due to consultations with UN, Libya
    See also:

What Libya has inherited from Moammar Gaddafi
    October 27`11 - Young men in fatigues hang around outside the offices of the Transitional National Council, carrying rifles and flashing V (for victory) signs at visitors. Inside, older men in leather jackets sit on sofas drinking tea, while temporary officials cope with clashing appointments and race up and down the hallways. It’s just how one imagines the Smolny Institute, Lenin’s St. Petersburg headquarters, in 1917: amateur, enthusiastic, disorganized, rumor-filled and slightly paranoid, all at once. In Smolny, though, there were no ringing cellphones to add to the general cacophony.

8. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Sure they do. They've been a country for quite some time. And they "united" as a country to get rid of Gaddafi. Messy as it was, they did most of the fighting. That will make a huge difference.

9. francoHFW

francoHFW Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,630
    Fear mongered whiners and dittoheads. Libyans are pretty educated, just fought together, this is the information age. I predict you will look like idiots, won't admit to your history, and would have let BOOOOSH ruin the Arab Spring on p. 8 if you had had your way. Tories!! tyvm lol Obamahh...support the magic negro.

10. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    There will probably be lots of bumps in the road till they get it right. Hopefully they will seek help on the formation of a government. But it shouldn't be forced upon them.