Libya To Be Governed By Sharia Law

For those of you who don't understand, that means the Koran will be their "Constitution" of sorts. Good thing we supported Al Qaida there right?

It seems you don’t understand. Your ‘headline’ says noting about Al Qaida, or American support thereof.

You also post as if there’s something to be done about it.

Or is Libya next on the neo-con hit-list of nations to ‘democratize’?

Please refrain from using adult words like neocon that you don't even understand.

Gaddafi was a total loon.

His so called "Green Book" had zero to do with Islam.

It was just his peculiar brand of weirdo secularism he tried to force on the Libyian people.

Sort of like Chairman Mao's "Red Book" :cuckoo:

Sort of like Allah's Quran.

Quran: We are clear of you and of whatever ye worship besides Allah: we have rejected you, and there has arisen, between us and you, enmity and hatred for ever,- unless ye believe in Allah and Him alone"

Pray all you like, it will do no good.

Democracy and shira are like oil and water. They are not compatible.

I do believe that modernity can come to Islam.

It came to both Judaism and Christianity. Islam needs it more. :razz:

So, let's 'give it to them'. <-- My Prayer ...

Sure it will come.... in say about another thousand years.

Not if my prayer comes true. Then it will be served, not begged...

File this under "Didn't see THAT one coming!" Just a headline now:
Libya's transitional leader says Islamic Sharia law will be the "basic source" of all law - Yahoo! News
Libya's transitional leader says Islamic Sharia law will be the "basic source" of all law.
For those of you who don't understand, that means the Koran will be their "Constitution" of sorts. Good thing we supported Al Qaida there right?

Isn't that their right or should we tell everyone how they should live?

It was just his peculiar brand of weirdo secularism he tried to force on the Libyian people.

Sort of like Allah's Quran.

Quran: We are clear of you and of whatever ye worship besides Allah: we have rejected you, and there has arisen, between us and you, enmity and hatred for ever,- unless ye believe in Allah and Him alone"

Replace Allah with God and it sounds like every evangelical church I ever attended.

Do I remember you saying you are a wahhabi/salafi Sunni?

Yes, that is the "madhab" that I find closest to my personal philosophy concerning Islamic Fiqh (religious jurisprudence) :cool:

Right. That would result in very severe Sharia Law I think. If I am wrong and this does not go with your views let me know.

The thing is until I was in my 20's or so, the only country acting in this way was Saudi Arabia and I am sure you will agree we saw this taken to it's absolute extremes among the Taliban - those given an extreme Wahhabi education during the Afghan war and also among those who became known as Al Qaeda. Now I know you are not a terrorist and I know from things you have written that you also believe in beneficial aspects of Islamic justice but I am confused because you often agree with brutality which really stems from Wahhabi or worse and which arguably is not Islam but unfortunately is the Islam which has been sponsored around the world in the second half of the 20th Century.

Something happened to Islam I believe and I think that this article describes it well and the mistakes we have made in the West in our assumptions about Islam

- now, no offence made, stay with me, this article explains what has happened really well

Yet there was no longer a legitimate force to oppose this trend. In the place of traditional Islamic learning--which had once allowed, even encouraged, science and advancement--there was nothing. The old religious authorities had been hounded out of public life, back into the mosque. The Caliphate was dead; when Ataturk destroyed it in Turkey, he also removed it from the rest of the Islamic world. Into that vacuum roared a fundamentalist reaction led by brilliant but aberrant amateurs like Egypt's Sayyid Qutb, the founding philosopher of Ayman Zawahiri's brand of Islamic radicalism who was hanged by al-Nasser, and later, Osama bin Laden, who grew up infected by the Saudis' extreme version of Wahhabism. Even the creator of Wahhabism, the 18th-century thinker Mohammad Ibn Abd al-Wahhab, was outside the mainstream, notorious for vandalizing shrines and "denounced" by theologians across the Islamic world in his time for his "doctrinal mediocrity and illegitimacy," as the scholar Abdelwahab Meddeb writes in another new book that rebuts Lewis, Islam and its Discontents.

Wahhabism's fast growth in the late 20th century was also a purely modern phenomenon, a function of Saudi petrodollars underwriting Wahhabist mosques and clerics throughout the Arab world (and elsewhere, including America). Indeed, the elites in Egypt and other Arab countries still tend to mock the Saudis as déclassés Bedouins who would have stayed that way if it were not for oil. "It's as if Jimmy Swaggert had come into hundreds of billions of dollars and taken over the church," one Arab official told me. The hellish culmination of this modern trend occurred in the mountains of Afghanistan in the 1980s and '90s, when extremist Wahhabism, in the person of bin Laden, was married to Qutb's Egyptian Islamism, in the person of Zawahiri, who became bin Laden's deputy.

Critics were right to see the bin Laden phenomenon as a reaction against corrupt tyrannies like Egypt's and Saudi Arabia's, and ultimately against American support for those regimes. They were wrong to conclude that it was a mainstream phenomenon welling up from the anti-modern character of Islam, or that the only immediate solution lay in Western-style democracy. It was, instead, a reaction that came out of an Islam misshapen by modern political developments, many of them emanating from Western influences, outright invasion by British, French, and Italian colonialists, and finally the U.S.-Soviet clash that helped create the mujahadeen jihad in Afghanistan.

"Bernard Lewis Revisited" by Michael Hirsh

It is a very good article and I hope you will take the time to read it all.

Basically Islam has been skrewed by Imperialism and lost itself and instead Wahhabi has taken over and seen as the norm rather than traditional Islam (which I know you personally do not like)

The Arab spring is going to be a challenge for Muslims to re-find and heal themselves. Because they have had a far harsher experience of Al Qaeda types they seem to be well aware of the dangers of extremist Islam. They also know what happened in Iran and I am sure do not want that. You will see that in Tunis although they have a moderate Islamist party who want something similar to Turkey and do not intend on imposing their moral views, you can see that those wanting a secular state are as suspicious of what this might entail as some Americans

Huge turnout in Tunisia's Arab Spring election - The Times of India

My hunch is that it will be OK in Tunisia. Libya is more worrying but I think, if you read the article that part of the journey people are going to go on is rediscovering themselves.

My hope is that this will result in them rediscovering Traditional Islam.

This is not just written for you but I think it is something we all need to think about as we give people time to find their own way.

My hunch is that it will be OK in Tunisia. Libya is more worrying but I think, if you read the article that part of the journey people are going to go on is rediscovering themselves.

My hope is that this will result in them rediscovering Traditional Islam.

This is not just written for you but I think it is something we all need to think about as we give people time to find their own way.

The only hunch is on your back, hun. There is no such thing as "traditional Islam" except in your fertile imagination.

Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan: "The Term &#8220;Moderate Islam&#8221; Is Ugly And Offensive; There Is No Moderate Islam; Islam Is Islam"
Speaking at Kanal D TV&#8217;s Arena program, PM Erdogan commented on the term &#8220;moderate Islam&#8221;, often used in the West to describe AKP and said, &#8216;These descriptions are very ugly, it is offensive and an insult to our religion. There is no moderate or immoderate Islam. Islam is Islam and that&#8217;s it.
Milliyet, Turkey, August 21, 2007

Last edited:
GayStone has spoken so it must be a fact. :ll: :cucko:

It must hurt the disobedient, inferior Muslima when she is beaten by her superior husband, yes, islamonazi?

Quran 4:34: Allah has made men superior to women because men spend their wealth to support them. Therefore, virtuous women are obedient, and they are to guard their unseen parts as Allah has guarded them. As for women whom you fear will rebel, admonish them first, and then send them to a separate bed, and then beat them. But if they are obedi-ent after that, then do nothing further; surely Allah is exalted and great!

Last edited:
I do believe that modernity can come to Islam.

It came to both Judaism and Christianity. Islam needs it more. :razz:

So, let's 'give it to them'. <-- My Prayer ...

Schmeckle, allah wills totalitarian regimes upon his slaves of allah. Mahomet was the chief fascist.

Schmeckle, allah wills totalitarian regimes upon his slaves of allah. Mahomet was the chief fascist.

Served.

virtuatenniswii_2.jpeg

Can you move into the abstract thought processing JStone?

Libya is already an Islamic state and anyone thinking that a majority Muslim country will not follow Sharia is fooling themselves.

The law of Libya follows the Sharia way. Qadhafi integrated the thinking of Mohammed into the Green Book which lays down the guiding principles of the Jamahiriya, the state of the masses for the people.

Green Book - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Democracy?

Well I do :eusa_pray:

Pray all you like, it will do no good.

Democracy and shira are like oil and water. They are not compatible.

That's true.

Muslim nations will adopt democratic principles when the Muslim people demand them. In today's world the rights of the poor, women and minorities (color, creed, ethnicity) in Western democracies will become more widely understood in Sharia ruled nations and will ferment discontent.

Of course if the New Right has their way, and our nation devolves (further) into a Plutocracy, the oppressed around the world will lose the greatest role model in history.

Torah: Proclaim Liberty Throughout The Land

Can you show us where the Quran proclaims liberty throughout the land? No, I didn't think so.

I'm just curious as to why you are making comparisons between Judaism and Islam? It seems as though you're trying to sell a used car to someone who has already bought the Cadillac. Is support for Judaism fading? If it is, I'm not aware of it...except in extremist groups.

Am I missing the point of your post?

Forum List

Back