Liberty depicted as black woman on $100 gold coin

Liberty is a western concept. I can't wait for the social justice warriors to come out complaining about cultural appropriation . Oh, wait...
In what way do you think so?

Yeah, the whole "cultural appropriation" thing is bullshit. A white woman wears dreadlocks and is accused of "cultural appropriation" yet a black woman who wears a bra and western clothing is just "modern". The hypocrisy of those who scream "cultural appropriation" is both sad and disheartening.

Liberty is a western concept. I can't wait for the social justice warriors to come out complaining about cultural appropriation . Oh, wait...

Yeah, the whole "cultural appropriation" thing is bullshit. A white woman wears dreadlocks and is accused of "cultural appropriation" yet a black woman who wears a bra and western clothing is just "modern". The hypocrisy of those who scream "cultural appropriation" is both sad and disheartening.

Locke, Marx, John Stewart Mill, Jefferson, Cicero, Hobbes, etc. All modern definitions of liberty pursued by the the majority of the world, both negative liberty and positive liberty, have their roots in western civilization. There are no African, Asian, or Middle Eastern dissertations on a concept of liberty pursued by modern man today. Even the social justice concept that led to creating lady liberty in blackface is a western idea. You can dress the coin up any way you like, but the foundation of what that coin means and represents was created and currently upheld by white folks. Call the coin what it is, lady liberty in blackface.

Last edited:

Locke, Marx, John Stewart Mill, Jefferson, Cicero, Hobbes, etc. All modern definitions of liberty pursued by the the majority of the world, both negative liberty and positive liberty, have their roots in western civilization. There are no African, Asian, or Middle Eastern dissertations on a concept of liberty pursued by modern man today. Even the social justice concept that led to creating lady liberty in blackface is a western idea. You can dress the coin up any way you like, but the foundation of what that coin means and represents was created and currently upheld by white folks. Call the coin what it is, lady liberty in blackface.
Obviously Eastern philosophy has some major differences from Western philosophy, but the fact we're dealing with human beings, all of whom are over 99.5% genetically identical, means human desires and concepts would be common across our species.

This article discusses some Asian differences and similarities.
Human Rights and Asian Values
Contemporary ideas of political and personal liberty and rights have taken their present form relatively recently, and it is hard to see them as "traditional" commitments of Western cultures. There are important antecedents of those commitments in the form of the advocacy of tolerance and individual freedom, but those antecedents can be found plentifully in Asian as well as Western cultures.

The recognition of diversity within different cultures is extremely important in the contemporary world, since we are constantly bombarded by oversimple generalizations about "Western civilization," "Asian values," "African cultures," and so on. These unfounded readings of history and civilization are not only intellectually shallow, they also add to the divisiveness of the world in which we live.

Obviously Eastern philosophy has some major differences from Western philosophy, but the fact we're dealing with human beings, all of whom are over 99.5% genetically identical, means human desires and concepts would be common across our species.

Contemporary ideas of political and personal liberty and rights have taken their present form relatively recently, and it is hard to see them as "traditional" commitments of Western cultures. There are important antecedents of those commitments in the form of the advocacy of tolerance and individual freedom, but those antecedents can be found plentifully in Asian as well as Western cultures.

The recognition of diversity within different cultures is extremely important in the contemporary world, since we are constantly bombarded by oversimple generalizations about "Western civilization," "Asian values," "African cultures," and so on. These unfounded readings of history and civilization are not only intellectually shallow, they also add to the divisiveness of the world in which we live.

The point still stands, all modern definitions of liberty pursued by most of the world today is derived overwhelmingly from western thought. Many Asian countries went through a steep westernization phase largely after western colonization. After colonization ended their definition of liberty incorporated the values of western civilization. Now they may have mixed some of their own values into the pot, but it still stands that the majority of countries striving for liberty today overwhelmingly choose the liberty promoted by western style governance and definitions. Modern thoughts of liberty for the past 300 years are overwhelmingly western.

Good idea , portray what America is , not what it once was

The U.S. Mint has unveiled a commemorative $100 gold coin that features an image of Liberty as a black woman.

he coin will be released on April 6. The mint says it's the first in a series of 24-karat gold that will also depict Liberty in designs representing Asian-Americans, Hispanic-Americans and Indian-Americans. The mint says the goal of the coins is to reflect the "the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States."

Liberty depicted as black woman on $100 gold coin :: WRAL.com

No negro in this country deserves to even be on a penny. Right now there are about 42 million negroes in the U.S. and about 196 million Whites. How does that make them deserving to be on money. I could see their having had Indian heads on nickles. They were at least native to this country. As to "ethnic diversity," that is the root of all our problems in the U.S. Of which there are MANY.

We also share many cultural similarities with chimpanzees. Is it time to start putting them on our money?

No negro in this country deserves to even be on a penny. Right now there are about 42 million negroes in the U.S. and about 196 million Whites. How does that make them deserving to be on money. I could see their having had Indian heads on nickles. They were at least native to this country. As to "ethnic diversity," that is the root of all our problems in the U.S. Of which there are MANY.
Disagreed with your racism. OTOH, I also disagree with the PC bullshit about the Liberty dollar. Blacks are only 13% of the population yet Hispanics are more populous at 17%. Hispanics get far less attention from the Left. Why? Native Americans have been decimated by time and history, but their tie to this land is much stronger than any other culture. We used to give more credence to them, such as the aforementioned Indian head nickel. Now almost nothing. Did they piss off the Lefties? WTFO?

The LWers are quick to bury our history of the Civil War, but quick to praise a minority over all others for PC reasons. I strongly disagree with this philosophy they have taken.

Population estimates, July 1, 2016, (V2016)

We also share many cultural similarities with chimpanzees. Is it time to start putting them on our money?
What cultural similarities to you share with chimps? Flinging poo? Masturbating in public? Smoking cigarettes? I'm honestly curious. Please tell me.

rwmt2it8vtb2nl0j680z.jpg

Disagreed with your racism. OTOH, I also disagree with the PC bullshit about the Liberty dollar. Blacks are only 13% of the population yet Hispanics are more populous at 17%. Hispanics get far less attention from the Left. Why? Native Americans have been decimated by time and history, but their tie to this land is much stronger than any other culture. We used to give more credence to them, such as the aforementioned Indian head nickel. Now almost nothing. Did they piss off the Lefties? WTFO?

The LWers are quick to bury our history of the Civil War, but quick to praise a minority over all others for PC reasons. I strongly disagree with this philosophy they have taken.

Population estimates, July 1, 2016, (V2016)

Did what I said seem "politically correct" to you? Also, I wasn't talking about percentages. I said that there were 42 million negroes in the U.S. and 196 million Whites. As for the spiktinos, who gives a shit about them.

What cultural similarities to you share with chimps? Flinging poo? Masturbating in public? Smoking cigarettes? I'm honestly curious. Please tell me.

rwmt2it8vtb2nl0j680z.jpg

We share more cultural similarities with them than we do with bonobos.
I have no doubt you do, but I'm still curious about which particular ones you share.

If you don't want to answer, obviously you don't have to do so. I'm simply curious.

Good idea , portray what America is , not what it once was

The U.S. Mint has unveiled a commemorative $100 gold coin that features an image of Liberty as a black woman.

he coin will be released on April 6. The mint says it's the first in a series of 24-karat gold that will also depict Liberty in designs representing Asian-Americans, Hispanic-Americans and Indian-Americans. The mint says the goal of the coins is to reflect the "the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States."

Liberty depicted as black woman on $100 gold coin :: WRAL.com
Barack on a gold coin..priceless

Forum List

Back