Libertarians Are The True Political Moderates

Half of Americans consider themselves moderates, and yet Libertarian candidates rarely win more than single digit support in elections.

That's because the Libertarian message boils down to "You're on your own and I don't give a fuck". It's politics, for teenage boys who think Ayn Rand was a god.

Government not doing it for you means "You're on your own." Liberty is not even conceivable to a liberal. It's all about government.

Actually, libertarians do believe in government. Not being the sharpest knives in the drawer (which is why you say government not doing it for you is leaving you on your own), you don't grasp that. We believe government should be there, but it should be the last choice, not the first. We just say you do it first, then ask your family, friends and community, then charities. Then we'll discuss government. Pretty moderate of us. You say Government first, foremost and always and no government solution means we're screwed. You're the extremist.
Liberals founded the place with Liberty in mind but do you remember the We The People part, Libertarians replace that with Me The Myself, which is why they can't win.

They are people who think you are an obsessive control freak, if your children have bedtimes and curfews.

Last edited:
Calling narco libertarians centrist is hysterical. They are the most radical movement out there short of Marxists, their 2nd cousins.

Actually, I specifically said I am referring to small government libertarians, not anarchists who call themselves "libertarians." Did you read the OP?

Utter nonsense. Nuff said. Carry on...

Supporting policies that promote cradle-to-grave support from the State, necessarily increasing energy prices, and other policies that ultimately tear down the Middle Class is not exactly moderate.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Liberals founded the place with Liberty in mind but do you remember the We The People part, Libertarians replace that with Me The Myself, which is why they can't win.

They are people who think you are an obsessive control freak, if your children have bedtimes and curfews.

Exactly.

And the "liberals" define "Liberty" nowadays as the right of the political majority to be fed, insured, have their thirst quenched and their neighbors disarmed.

That's because the Libertarian message boils down to "You're on your own and I don't give a fuck". It's politics, for teenage boys who think Ayn Rand was a god.

Government not doing it for you means "You're on your own." Liberty is not even conceivable to a liberal. It's all about government.

Actually, libertarians do believe in government. Not being the sharpest knives in the drawer (which is why you say government not doing it for you is leaving you on your own), you don't grasp that. We believe government should be there, but it should be the last choice, not the first. We just say you do it first, then ask your family, friends and community, then charities. Then we'll discuss government. Pretty moderate of us. You say Government first, foremost and always and no government solution means we're screwed. You're the extremist.

LOL, achieving liberalism through authoritarian leftism is "moderate." Sure it is.

And again you show your utter sell out to government that government is the ONLY solution. Period. You can conceive of nothing else ever. If government doesn't do it, then it won't get done by anyone. We can't do anything on our own, we can't help each other. It's government, period. That's the limit of your world.

Supporting policies that promote cradle-to-grave support from the State, necessarily increasing energy prices, and other policies that ultimately tear down the Middle Class is not exactly moderate.
Dealing with Reality is moderate. Most Americans would like it if their elected officials did only that but promising to do that doesn't win elections.

LOL, achieving liberalism through authoritarian leftism is "moderate." Sure it is.

And again you show your utter sell out to government that government is the ONLY solution. Period. You can conceive of nothing else ever. If government doesn't do it, then it won't get done by anyone. We can't do anything on our own, we can't help each other. It's government, period. That's the limit of your world.
Also utter nonsense, but entirely expected. It's why I didn't bother with you. You need to be rational first and that will be a while, obviously.

Moderates do not support getting the government entirely out of programs for the elderly, such as SS and Medicare, or programs for the needy.

Libertarians do. That is extreme, not moderate.

Calling narco libertarians centrist is hysterical. They are the most radical movement out there short of Marxists, their 2nd cousins.

Actually, I specifically said I am referring to small government libertarians, not anarchists who call themselves "libertarians." Did you read the OP?

can you distinguish "small government libertarians" from others? I am referring to the internet variety of narco libertarians seen. They are among the most radical political movements out there. Which is why their standard bearer, Ron Paul, never won an election outside of his district.

Also utter nonsense, but entirely expected. It's why I didn't bother with you. You need to be rational first and that will be a while, obviously.

And of course and individual is "rational" when he/she has accepted Communism as the ONLY valid socioeconomic system.

And of course and individual is "rational" when he/she has accepted Communism as the ONLY valid socioeconomic system.

And another one who isn't rational. Carry on...

Dealing with Reality is moderate. Most Americans would like it if their elected officials did only that but promising to do that doesn't win elections.

LOL, liberals are dealing with reality. That's just so naive it's sad.

Small government libertarians believe people should first help themselves, then go to their families, friends, community, churches and charities. Then go to government.

You believe government is the one and only solution.

The extremist is clearly you.

Libertarians have spent decades trying to sell an agenda that rarely gets double digit support any time the voters get to vote on it,

if you want to talk about naive and out of touch with reality.

People get sick, old, and die is reality. Capitalism works great but has issues is reality. America needs security but isn't the world's policeman is reality. Carry on...

can you distinguish "small government libertarians" from others? I am referring to the internet variety of narco libertarians seen. They are among the most radical political movements out there. Which is why their standard bearer, Ron Paul, never won an election outside of his district.

Dr Ron Paul was not a miracle worker. He can not deprogram Americans during an political campaign

Every politically controlled educational system will inculcate the doctrine of state supremacy sooner or later. . . . Once that doctrine has been accepted, it becomes an almost superhuman task to break the stranglehold of the political power over the life of the citizen. It has had his body, property and mind in its clutches from infancy. An octopus would sooner release its prey. A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state.

–Isabel Paterson, The God of the Machine (1943)

Sure. Here's the OP post which is exactly that question.

Libertarians want government limited to those functions which only government can do. Most of us would generally agree with police, military, civil and criminal courts, roads, management of limited resources and recognition of property rights. I am not referring to anarchists who want no government here who like calling themselves libertarians, I am referring to the masses of us who want government limited, not eliminated.

Fiscal polices. We want taxes, but we want them low, flat and for the good of the people as a whole and not used for income redistribution. The left are the extremists here not only punishing success and harming employers, but even using tax COLLECTION as a welfare program with refundable tax credits. We are moderates, taxes should be reasonable and to fund the government, not implement social policy. And spending should be within our means.

Social policies. Socons go to church (or other religious institutions) then go to government to implement morality by force. Clearly they are the extremists. Libertarians believe they should have the right to persuade people to live moral lives, they should not have the right to force their morality on them. We are, the moderates.

NeoCons. We want the military used for the defense of the United States. We don't want to be policeman to the world like the right, we also don't blame our troops for the failures of our politicians like the left. And we don't want them in everyone's back yard, like both sides do. We are moderates, protect and defend, don't use force to make other's decisions just like we don't want government making our decisions here.

Republicans and Democrats are just so deep into the question of what government can do to impose their social and fiscal wills on us, they have stopped even asking the question, should government even do that? Do we have the right to make that choice for everyone and use force to impose it on all our citizens? Libertarians are the moderates, that is the first question we ask, that is the right question to answer before proceeding any further.

Forum List

Back