Liberal views based on empathy and conservatives based in logic

musingsofacac

musingsofacac
Dec 3, 2012
south east Michigan
I remember this interview the actor Rob Lowe did on Hannity(and he did one on Oreilly too).

West Wing Star Rob Lowe Praises Conservatives? Right-Wing Politics Based on 'Logic' | NewsBusters.org

I just was talking about it the other day with a friend and I thought I would re-hash it here and see your various views. Rob Lowe use to be very liberal(like most actors in hollywood) and he stated as he got older he found his views becoming more conservative. He now considers himself a "centrist".

Oreilly said he was over simplying it - but I actually think Rob Lowe hit the nail on the head. Basically he said - Liberalism is based on empathy and Conservatism is based on logic.

It really makes sense. A conservative walks by and sees a begger on the street - and he will do one of two things - give the guy a few bucks, or give him nothing thinking he is lazy and should get a job.

The true blue liberal - would say we need a government program to make sure there are no poor people on the streets. FDR back in the depression actually advocated for a second bill of rights - one in which not only do we have the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness - but also where we are guarenteeed minimal results.

Here are some of the rights FDR mentioned every American should have:

The right of every family to a decent home;

The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;

The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;

The right to a good education.

Second Bill of Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are these not things that liberals argue for today? free housing, free medical care, pensions, unending unemployment benefits and free college education?

The problem is NOTHING is FREE. Someone has to pay for it. And no even if you take all the money that the top 2 percent make - its not enough to pay for FDRs second bill of rights. He tried it - he raised the top brackets to something like 94 percent! Then he wanted to make it 100% for top income earners.

But even with a 94% top tax bracket(soaking the rich for all they had) FDR was still unable to solve the nations economic woes, and he certainly was not able to give free housing, medical care and education for all.

FDR's own treasure secretary said

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and if I am wrong … somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosperous. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. … I say after eight years of this Administration we have just as much unemployment as when we started. … And an enormous debt to boot"
Henry Morgenthau, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sound familar like what we face today?

It was only after the death FDR, and ending of WWII that great depression actually ended. It was due largely in part to something liberals hate - lowering of corporate taxes(like on excess profits) and lowering of marginal rates(in 1945,1946 and 1948). Kennedy also figured that out and did the unliberal thing of cutting them big again - and he saw good economic turn arounds as well.

That's basically absurd. We are all human beings both left and right. We all use logic and emphathy because we are human. We aren't somehow stripped of our humanity because we follow a certain political philosophy. We just place different emphasis on both and have had different life experiences that determine how we see things whether accurate or not.

I can also say I've seen liberals who are completely heartless and conservatives who are completely illogical. In fact, it's often the case.

Conservative principles are logical. They are also very empathic depending on ones viewpoint because they work.

I can also say I've seen liberals who are completely heartless and conservatives who are completely illogical. In fact, it's often the case.

Conservative principles are logical. They are also very empathic depending on ones viewpoint because they work.

Hey Avatar - by the way I used to love that avatar cartoon - watched it with my boys all the time when it was on(the movie was a bit of a let down though).

As to your comments - I agree there are always exceptions. I may not have used a good example of what I meant by this. As a conservative(and most of my conservative friends feel the same) - we accept the reality of inequality of income - where there will always be some who are rich, some who are in the middle somewhere, and some who are poor.

It is true that in many societies there is almost no middle class, but that is because often times these societies do not have the religious and political freedom we have and often times have a great deal of corruption.

But in our society we accept the reality of the different classes, yes we give to the poor through our church charities and do what we can. But we don't believe it is the government's job to try and wipe out the concept of the poor(people on the bottom of economy) - because in a free - capitalistic economy you will NEVER do that.

The liberal - based on his emotion at seeing the poor, believes we can bring about income equality by simply taking from rich and middle classes and giving it to the poor. In the conservative mind - this is tanamount to legalized theft and conservatives understand that eventually this type of thinking will destroy an economy.

The reason that liberalism will always fail is - it is at war with nature itself. Nature produces inequality - conservatism accepts this reality, while liberalism with its emotionalism trys to fight it.

Benghazi

Hey Avatar - by the way I used to love that avatar cartoon - watched it with my boys all the time when it was on(the movie was a bit of a let down though).

As to your comments - I agree there are always exceptions. I may not have used a good example of what I meant by this. As a conservative(and most of my conservative friends feel the same) - we accept the reality of inequality of income - where there will always be some who are rich, some who are in the middle somewhere, and some who are poor.

It is true that in many societies there is almost no middle class, but that is because often times these societies do not have the religious and political freedom we have and often times have a great deal of corruption.

But in our society we accept the reality of the different classes, yes we give to the poor through our church charities and do what we can. But we don't believe it is the government's job to try and wipe out the concept of the poor(people on the bottom of economy) - because in a free - capitalistic economy you will NEVER do that.

The liberal - based on his emotion at seeing the poor, believes we can bring about income equality by simply taking from rich and middle classes and giving it to the poor. In the conservative mind - this is tanamount to legalized theft and conservatives understand that eventually this type of thinking will destroy an economy.

The reason that liberalism will always fail is - it is at war with nature itself. Nature produces inequality - conservatism accepts this reality, while liberalism with its emotionalism trys to fight it.

This is interesting.

You religious?

This is interesting.

You religious?

Yes I am religious - what is your point?

This is interesting.

You religious?

Yes I am religious - what is your point?

And..this is natural..how?

An example of CON$ervoFascist "logic."

"Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money."
- George Carlin

An example of CON$ervoFascist "logic."

"Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money."
- George Carlin

"Give" the rich more money? I've never heard a conservative say that.

Liberalism is trust of the people tempered by prudence.* Conservatism is distrust of the people tempered by fear.*
~William E. Gladstone

Forum List

Back