Liberal radio is airing bad jokes and worst taste

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MtnBiker, May 12, 2004.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The United States "is on the slippery slope to theocratic fascism." "The Catholic Church has been secretly encouraging oral sex for years."
    Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld "ought to be tortured." President Bush should be taken out and shot.

Instead, I got 10 hours of rancid venom directed at the President, Rumsfeld, Rush Limbaugh, the Catholic Church and anyone else the hosts felt like slamming. If you're a card-carrying lib who likes crude sex jokes and a cartoonish echo chamber, Air America is for you.

Take one host's linking the talk of "pulling out" the troops with the claim that "that's what the Catholic Church says about premarital sex." Ha, ha.

The network aims to give Dems a media organization to counter Limbaugh and others on the right who dominate talk radio. (What, National Public Radio and The New York Times aren't enough?)

The signing of comedian and best-selling author Al Franken gave Air America a liberal drawing card. But if his three-hour show on Monday was typical, he could sink the ship instead of saving it.

Two attempts at humor were offensive. In his "oy, oy show," set to Israeli music, a sidekick reads news reports - in this case, the murder of the Russian-backed president of Chechnya. Franken's role is to pipe up with a lighthearted "oy, oy, oy." Yep, nothing tickles the ribs like assassination.

Rock bottom came when she compared Bush and his family to the Corleones in the "Godfather" saga. "Like Fredo, somebody ought to take him out fishing and phuw," she said, imitating the sound of gunfire.

During a day of torture by radio, I heard ads for Hewlett-Packard, Greyhound and, especially, General Motors. I asked GM why it appeared in such shows.

Ryndee Carney, GM's manager of marketing communications, said the ads were wrongly picked up from an earlier deal with WLIB. She said the station was ordered to "cease and desist" yesterday, and added: "GM will not advertise on any Air America affiliates."

Full Story

2. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    liberal radio won't last long because of this.

3. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I too wish peop would stick to the issues.
    Calling for the killin of our president, even when joking, is not good for anyone.

I like Lettermans' "Bush jokes that aren't really jokes."

A little harmless humor.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    There's just no market for shows comprised of lies and koolaid aid perspectives.

5. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hmm... I'd say there is a market for most anything in the US. But I suppose you mean a large one.

6. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Oh, come on....you don't think conservatives on radio, including Limbaugh and Hannity do this same kind of stuff every day? It's talk radio aimed at an audience. As for oy, oy, oy Al Franken is Jewish and fond of poking fun at his heritage. As for their being no market for lies....Limbaugh, Hannity O'Reilly, 'nuff said.

acludem

7. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Like when O'Reily said he and his former show won 2 People's Choice awards or something.

Actually, they won one SIMILAR award a YEAR AFTER he left. Idiot.

8. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    O'Reilly claimed that Inside Edition won two Peabody awards while he was working for them. IE has never won a Peabody award. They won two other awards, but only years AFTER O'Reilly left. Limbaugh won't even tell us whether he graduated high school.

acludem

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    First, I never heard Rush, Bill, or Sean call for the assassination of any President, or the torture of a Cabinet member. While they do poke fun at liberals (Rush especially) everything they talk about is backed up by fact. In fact, Sean Hannity is one of the best fact-checkers out there. To dismiss his show as "lies" is intellectually dishonest.

10. deciophobic

deciophobic Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    they should get rid of yalk radio for both sides. it just creates more seperation between people and hate...america doesn't need that right now!