Liberal book burners get "Huck Finn" Banned at Philadelphia school

[/QUOTE]What a shame. You know America is fucked when Mark Twain is taboo.[/QUOTE]
Amen.

Racial makeup of the school is 77% white, 12% black. Odds are 3 to 1 white students were the main complainents. 11th grade is not too young to read Huck Finn, especially at a gifted and talented school.
That is either an example of a supremely effective brainwash or the most stupidly naive example of pandering imaginable.

Huck Finn is a great story and should be taught in American Literature, but whatever. There are only so many books you can read in 4 years, and the Frederick Douglass book I'm sure is well worth the time.

Would be a shame if nothing by Mark Twain is read, though. One of the greatest American writers ever.

Absolutely- Huck Finn is great American literature- and I think it should be taught.

But if a private religious school decides to not teach it and instead leaves the book in its library- why would I object?

More importantly though- why would the RWNJ lie about this being a book banning?

I just want to remind some of you that "conservatives" have been banning books, or attempting to, for years, and not just in private schools. Please don't blame this disgusting practice on liberals only.
Check out the American Library Association's website of frequently challenged classics and the reasons.

http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics/reasons

For example:

The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Burned in Alamagordo, NM (2001) outside Christ Community Church along with other Tolkien novels as satanic.
Of Mice and Men, by John Steinbeck
  • Challenged in Greenville, SC (1977) by the Fourth Province of the Knights of the Ku Klux KIan; Vernon Verona Sherill, NY School District (1980); St. David, AZ (1981) and Tell City, IN (1982) due to "profanity and using God's name in vain."
  • Removed from the Northside High School in Tuscaloosa, AL (1989) because the book "has profane use of God's name."
  • Challenged, but retained in a Salina, KS (1990) tenth grade English class despite concerns that it contains "profanity" and "takes the Lord's name in vain."

This is part of the Lefts attempt at rewriting the past. Slavery,and Jim Crow are the history of the Democratic party for over 200 years of this countries existence. Only an idiot would believe that at sometime the parties magically switched sides so Democrats have to suppress and/or delete their bigotry and hatred from history.

I just want to remind some of you that "conservatives" have been banning books, or attempting to, for years, and not just in private schools. Please don't blame this disgusting practice on liberals only.
Check out the American Library Association's website of frequently challenged classics and the reasons.

http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics/reasons

For example:

• Burned in Alamagordo, NM (2001) outside Christ Community Church along with other Tolkien novels as satanic.
  • Challenged in Greenville, SC (1977) by the Fourth Province of the Knights of the Ku Klux KIan; Vernon Verona Sherill, NY School District (1980); St. David, AZ (1981) and Tell City, IN (1982) due to "profanity and using God's name in vain."
  • Removed from the Northside High School in Tuscaloosa, AL (1989) because the book "has profane use of God's name."
  • Challenged, but retained in a Salina, KS (1990) tenth grade English class despite concerns that it contains "profanity" and "takes the Lord's name in vain."
Those people are not true Conservatives

This is part of the Lefts attempt at rewriting the past. Slavery,and Jim Crow are the history of the Democratic party for over 200 years of this countries existence. Only an idiot would believe that at sometime the parties magically switched sides so Democrats have to suppress and/or delete their bigotry and hatred from history.

By "Left" you mean a single religious school in one city decided to remove Huck Finn from it curriculum.

But not one comment from you about the "Right"- i.e. the OP- deliberately lying about Huck Finn being banned and equating this to book burning.

Only an ignorant idiot would not recognize that the South has been Conservative since before 1860- and to this day remains Conservative- all that has happened is that the party that they vote for has changed.

Banned and/or Challenged Books from the Radcliffe Publishing Course Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century | Banned & Challenged Books

For example:

Those people are not true Conservatives
I stand corrected, but I'd like to think the liberals trying to ban books aren't true Liberals, either.

Forum List

Back