Zone1 Let's Talk About "Merit"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A prime example of the length and consistency of a big lie is the distortion of Affirmative Action. Whites have been given what the right complains about blacks getting since the beginning of this country. The discomfort some whites have in recognizing how they benefit from race-based law and policy is evident in any discussion a person of color has with a person who opposes equal rights legislation. Do they not understand how long whites were hired, promoted, admitted into colleges, and even allowed citizenship rights only because of the color of their skin? Do they not question the qualifications of white legacy students?

Then a simple enough solution. Let's get rid of legacies. That just means the rich white person who got in on a legacy will be replaced by an Asian kid who got in on test scores and GPA. Really won't do that much to help blacks.

Conversely, who is benefiting from AA now? Is it the black kid from the ghetto? Nope, it's usually the middle class or affluent black kid who comes from good circumstances because his parents did the hard work, but didn't get as good of grades and test scores as the Asian Kid who worked hard. Meanwhile, a lot of black kids are going to get free rides to college on Athletic Scholarships, even though if you watch some athletes on TV when they are being interviewed, they can't put together a coherent sentence in the King's English.

Final point. The ONLY reason why any cares about Harvard is that it and other Ivy League Schools are given an outsized role in business and politics. You have a Harvard Degree, that's a golden ticket for life, while the kid who did something like joined the military to pay for college and worked two minimum wage jobs while in attending classes will be happy to just get a state college degree.

So a simple enough solution-

Get rid of Legacies.
Ger rid of Athletic Scholarships
Get rid of Affirmative Action
Stop giving preferential hiring treatment to Ivy League schools.

I have an A.A. B.S. and M.A. I helped build or develop 3 NFP'S. Do not come here using a tweet from some black idiot that has nothing to do with the thread topic.
iu

That’s not affirmative action. As I said, one is to financially support the college; the other is to benefit or disadvantage applicants according to race.

Bullshit. Giving admission to stupid white people because their daddy's graduated from there is probably the worst kind of affirmative action- affirmative action for people who don't really need it.

Seems to me that if Harvard was all that great, it should have no problem supporting itself on tuition alone.

Seems to me that the majority of blacks squandered every opportunity that they, as a ethnicity, have been given.

I'm in no mood to give them anything else.

Um, Slavery, Jim Crow, Miscengation Laws, Poll Taxes, Literacy Tests, Debt Peonage... it seems like we put a lot more effort into keeping black people down than we ever put into raising them up.

The problem you have is that you think giving them something takes something away from you.

Um, Slavery, Jim Crow, Miscengation Laws, Poll Taxes, Literacy Tests, Debt Peonage... it seems like we put a lot more effort into keeping black people down than we ever put into raising them up.

The problem you have is that you think giving them something takes something away from you.
OK, give them all of yours first, show us the receipt, and then we will talk.

All from long ago. Whiney people of all ethnicities need to let the past go. THEY weren't victimized. The people who were victimized are now, for the most part long dead, and many of them succeeded in bettering their lives in spite of the terrible things they suffered.

And, they never cried about it. They DID things about it.

We’ve also spent untold trillions on the black community, not just taxpayer money on social welfare the last century, but also private donations, affirmative action, scholarships, media, political movements, all doing things to ”help the black community“ and yet they are still the lowest IQ, least educated, highest unemployed, poorest, most obese and unhealthy, most addicted to drugs, most violent, most criminal group in America.

So you are okay with affirmative action letting less qualified people in as long as it benefits the affluent?

Interesting. But not surprising.
Universities benefit by admitting the legitimate children of rich parents. Universities do not benefit by lowering standards to admit the illegitimate children of poor and often criminal black parents, unless those illegitimate blacks are good at basketball and football.

We’ve also spent untold trillions on the black community, not just taxpayer money on social welfare the last century, but also private donations, affirmative action, scholarships, media, political movements, all doing things to ”help the black community“ and yet they are still the lowest IQ, least educated, highest unemployed, poorest, most obese and unhealthy, most addicted to drugs, most violent, most criminal group in America.
Let's not forget about the vast sums of money blacks steal from whites.

Why are American Negroes more affluent and in better health than Negroes in every black majority, black run countries in Sub Saharan Africa and the Caribbean?

Would American Negroes be better off if all the whites left? How?

Why are American Negroes more affluent and in better health than Negroes in every black majority, black run countries in Sub Saharan Africa and the Caribbean?

A lot of South African blacks have learned what happens when the whites are gone.

In a television program about sub Saharan Africa I actually heard a high status black man say, "They say it was better with the white man and he should come back."

I am looking for the video I saw of a black South African leader saying that very thing, but of course it's been memory-holed.

Blacks should be thanking their lucky stars that their ancestors were forced to make the trip here. Because of that, they (today’s blacks) were born into a country with opportunities - even preferential treatment - they have could have not have even imagined had they been born in Africa.

Let’s consider the OP, who whines and cries about what we “owe” him. He claims to have a Masters - which, according to statistics, he most likely got because he is black. Had his ancestors never been sold by African blacks, OP probably never would have even gone to college at all.

My grandparents all arrived in the early 20th century, and I thank my lucky stars. Had they remained in Europe, they would have been murdered by Hitler - as were my relatives who did remain - and I never would have been born at all.

Shut up and discuss why whites complain about merit when it's obvious that a whole lot of whites are entering college and it ain't based on merit.

Really? By merit, do you mean qualification? Like better grades and that sort of thing? Show me where a lot of "whites" are entering college NOT based on merit? Because many colleges have already admitted picking students NOT based on merit, passing over better qualified students picking others instead based on racial and political agendas. Why don't we talk about that?

Shut up and discuss why whites complain about merit when it's obvious that a whole lot of whites are entering college and it ain't based on merit.

I didn't see merit mentioned anywhere in your OP and you've deflected from that, but maybe we should discuss why some colleges trying to accept and graduate more Black students have actually LOWERED standards for them to help them graduate and meet quota! Now THAT is merit. Then those kids with lowered standards go on to take jobs based on their lowered standards degrees that other people only got by passing more rigorous tests, then these low standard graduates get hired by companies, then perform more poorly.

Do you think that could be why this country is turning to shit? Because it is being run now by a bunch of bozos who only got through college based on lowered standards then passed along and hired to meet a minority quota?

Perhaps the real problem this country faces is that we are no longer hiring based on picking our best and brightest and hardest working because more of them turn out not to fit into the progressive leftwing racial equity agenda?

I didn't see merit mentioned anywhere in your OP and you've deflected from that, but maybe we should discuss why some colleges trying to accept and graduate more Black students have actually LOWERED standards for them to help them graduate and meet quota! Now THAT is merit. Then those kids with lowered standards go on to take jobs based on their lowered standards degrees that other people only got by passing more rigorous tests, then these low standard graduates get hired by companies, then perform more poorly.

Do you think that could be why this country is turning to shit? Because it is being run now by a bunch of bozos who only got through college based on lowered standards then passed along and hired to meet a minority quota?

Perhaps the real problem this country faces is that we are no longer hiring based on picking our best and brightest and hardest working because more of them turn out not to fit into the progressive leftwing racial equity agenda?
Agree. We have to stop pretending that diversity for diversity’s sake will improve a product or service. I was just reading about some technology company that said it was trying to improve diversity (translation: hire more black people) since that would improve the products. My question is why? Why wouldn’t hiring the best, brightest, most innovative people regardless of race be the way to improve the products?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back