Let's have a reasonable and open-minded objective discussion about marijuana.

Feb 28, 2009
I'm not against the legalization of marijuana. I'm neither an advocate for it or a crusader against it. I have a open mind on the topic and really want to see reasonable discussions about it without the typical BS.

What would it be? What would it look like? How would it be administered? Would it follow the tobacco model, the alcohol one, or parts of both? Or would it be a unique model?

Would we be allowed to grow it? Give it to our friends? Smoke it in public places where we can't smoke tobacco?

Legalization and decriminalization advocates, let's hear your ideas. I really believe I would vote for this if it's done intelligently.

Would "big tobacco" take on the market? Or would they by law be excluded, allowing a whole new industry to crop up? (puns, love 'em) What would "big weed" be?

GO!

I think that the marijuana industry could be successfully regulated. I think it would need to be as regulated as the tobacco industry with no advertising on tv and such restrictions, but sold like alcohol. 18years old or states could set their own age restrictions if voters think it should be higher. People could become licensed distributors and would have to pay small business licensing fees and things of the like. A business license and background checks for non-marijuana related charges would probably need to be required to qualify. That way, sellers who have a history of violent or illicit drug crimes would not be able to legally sell. Regulating it would definitely take away from the profitability of such dealers and we could begin to focus our drug war attentions to worse drugs. Also, marijuana smuggling from out of the country would definitely take a hit. The number one reason marijuana is still smuggled into our country? Because people here smoke it. If they can buy it from a corner neighborhood store instead, the demand would drop for smuggled drugs. Limits could be set on amounts that could be purchased at one time. I think that the extra licensing fees could really benefit municipal and county government while the state and federal government would get their piece of the pie in the form of tax dollars. While that would increase the price of what is normally bought as a "10 bag" I think people would easily pay the extra 90 or so cents if they knew that what they were buying was perfectly legal and they couldn't get in trouble for it, as opposed to saving a dollar but risking getting a hypothetical "buying of illegally grown marijuana". I think that the smoking of would have to be regulated. You wouldn't want people smoking in public places and getting bystanders a contact high. It would have to be something done in private owned homes or smoke shops designated as marijuana smoking establishments.

• Banned
I think that the marijuana industry could be successfully regulated. I think it would need to be as regulated as the tobacco industry with no advertising on tv and such restrictions, but sold like alcohol. 18years old or states could set their own age restrictions if voters think it should be higher. People could become licensed distributors and would have to pay small business licensing fees and things of the like. A business license and background checks for non-marijuana related charges would probably need to be required to qualify. That way, sellers who have a history of violent or illicit drug crimes would not be able to legally sell. Regulating it would definitely take away from the profitability of such dealers and we could begin to focus our drug war attentions to worse drugs. Also, marijuana smuggling from out of the country would definitely take a hit. The number one reason marijuana is still smuggled into our country? Because people here smoke it. If they can buy it from a corner neighborhood store instead, the demand would drop for smuggled drugs. Limits could be set on amounts that could be purchased at one time. I think that the extra licensing fees could really benefit municipal and county government while the state and federal government would get their piece of the pie in the form of tax dollars. While that would increase the price of what is normally bought as a "10 bag" I think people would easily pay the extra 90 or so cents if they knew that what they were buying was perfectly legal and they couldn't get in trouble for it, as opposed to saving a dollar but risking getting a hypothetical "buying of illegally grown marijuana". I think that the smoking of would have to be regulated. You wouldn't want people smoking in public places and getting bystanders a contact high. It would have to be something done in private owned homes or smoke shops designated as marijuana smoking establishments.
Not sure about the "private dealer" thing, and also not all that sure we would see a major decrease in crime.

But, good solid no BS suggestion making. Just what I asked for.

I have faith in a free market finding the solution on who would sell it;be it tobacco companies or others; but regulations like those with alcohol could easily be imposed.

Now, it can be grown but beer can be micro brewed so it's not going to "cure our ills" such as children having access but I do think it would help make it harder. I know it was easier for me to get pot at 15 than beer and that was in the 70's.

A few rules that, I feel, are crucial:

1) Cough to your right and pass to the left
2) No bogarting
3) If you don't cough you don't get off
and finally;
4) Roach-clips are for pussies
(btw, they're called roach-clips because "pot holder" was already taken)

:eusa_whistle:

• Banned
I have faith in a free market finding the solution on who would sell it;be it tobacco companies or others; but regulations like those with alcohol could easily be imposed.

Now, it can be grown but beer can be micro brewed so it's not going to "cure our ills" such as children having access but I do think it would help make it harder. I know it was easier for me to get pot at 15 than beer and that was in the 70's.
Yes, would the law be okay with home grown strictly for personal use, like home brew beer? Would grow your own kits crop up at wal-mart? Would it be sold "loose" like RYO tobacco? For bong use? Bongs, pipes and other and paraphernalia would then be legal too?

Lotsa questions. Great input.

We should force politicians to cut spending before we let them create a new method of taxation. The debate about marijuana is only necessary because the politicians know you aren't smart enough to talk about issues that matter.

Like, fersure dude.

Uh, what were we talking about?

Yo man, is there any of that pizza left in the fridge dude?

Yes, would the law be okay with home grown strictly for personal use, like home brew beer? Would grow your own kits crop up at wal-mart? Would it be sold "loose" like RYO tobacco? For bong use? Bongs, pipes and other and paraphernalia would then be legal too?

Lotsa questions. Great input.

Lots of great questions and;like I stated; I have more faith in the free market system finding solutions than I do government. Each individual will have different ideas in a free market;regulated to strive to keep minors from having as much access of course; but other than that and having laws much like drunk driving laws, government should stay out as much as possible.

Last edited:
What more can really be said?

Both sides are at impasse.

One of the safest drugs known to man -- one with enormous medical benefits -- is outlawed when tens of thousands of drugs with terrible contraindications are handed our like water to us and our children by big PHARMA and the medical cabal.

What is the justification for this?

Basically it comes down to this...marijuna is a litmus test of the authoritarian cranks.

If you sign on to the insane prohibition, (be you leaning right OR left) then you're on their authoritarian side of the human rights issue.

If you are a user? Then you are targeted from POLITICAL harassment using this insane law to do the dirty work.

Marijuana is illegal for POLTICAL REASONS, not medical, not social, but entirely for political reasons.

Last edited:
MJ can trigger mental illness. Am I going to be paying for other people' self inflicted mental instability?

What about driving under the influence of MJ? Is it gonna be acceptable to kill other people because of your inability to lay off the weed?

I have enough shit picking up the tab for other people's obesity, and alcohol problems. I don't see why I should have to take on yet more shit because other people want to get stoned.

Get stoned. Kill yourself. I don't care. Just keep it out of my life, you self-centered SOBs.

MJ can trigger mental illness. Am I going to be paying for other people' self inflicted mental instability?

What about driving under the influence of MJ? Is it gonna be acceptable to kill other people because of your inability to lay off the weed?

I have enough shit picking up the tab for other people's obesity, and alcohol problems. I don't see why I should have to take on yet more shit because other people want to get stoned.

Get stoned. Kill yourself. I don't care. Just keep it out of my life, you self-centered SOBs.

Whoa damn... Guess I better hold off on my cocaine decriminalization thread :eusa_whistle:

Whoa damn... Guess I better hold off on my cocaine decriminalization thread :eusa_whistle:

The best thing about people doing coke is that they kill themselves. Less expense for the rest of us. Please feel free to kill yourself... just please do not take anyone else with you.

While I agree with your sentiment, we're already paying for the ill effects of drug use which is a by product of our welfare state which needs to be abolished too.

I am not a proponent of legalizing marijuana. I really don't see any positive use for the product (I've never used it myself) from what I have witnessed and read over time. I have see negative side-effects to the product. I'm just not sure it has any place in society, just like consumed alcohol and tobacco.

I know a guy who is a hard-line Atheist and Libertarian. He believes ALL drugs should be legal. He says it's a freedom question, believes we should all be free to put whatever we want, into our body and the G has no business regulating any of it. He then goes on to say that Darwin's theories are real, and that in his idea of a free society, the addicts would weed themselves out of the gene pool within two generations.

He also says we should withdraw ALL troops from foreign soil and place them instead on our own borders. Close all bases, cede all islands to the natives of them, sell Alaska to the highest bidder, use our Navy only for defense of our waters, and essentially close this country off from the rest of the world and say "screw you." Cutting trillions off of foreign aid, "defense" and other wasteful stuff over his first four year term. And increasing GDP and revenue by becoming the world's largest supplier of drugs, cocaine, heroin, weed.... Wants a massive trade imbalance on this in our favor.

At last knowledge, he plans to run for President on the Libertarian ticket in 2016, the first election when he will be old enough to be POTUS.

An insider look at one of the most virulent, radical, pro-marijuana legalization zealots we have.

I know a guy who is a hard-line Atheist and Libertarian. He believes ALL drugs should be legal. He says it's a freedom question, believes we should all be free to put whatever we want, into our body and the G has no business regulating any of it. He then goes on to say that Darwin's theories are real, and that in his idea of a free society, the addicts would weed themselves out of the gene pool within two generations.

He also says we should withdraw ALL troops from foreign soil and place them instead on our own borders. Close all bases, cede all islands to the natives of them, sell Alaska to the highest bidder, use our Navy only for defense of our waters, and essentially close this country off from the rest of the world and say "screw you." Cutting trillions off of foreign aid, "defense" and other wasteful stuff over his first four year term. And increasing GDP and revenue by becoming the world's largest supplier of drugs, cocaine, heroin, weed.... Wants a massive trade imbalance on this in our favor.

At last knowledge, he plans to run for President on the Libertarian ticket in 2016, the first election when he will be old enough to be POTUS.

An insider look at one of the most virulent, radical, pro-marijuana legalization zealots we have.

Regarding drug legalization, you just described Walter Williams, Milton Friedman and former Ronald Reagan Secretary of State George Schultz.

You know what is interesting about those studies, they don't take into fact that, that is the age when you develop mental illness and that people with a mental illness self medicate. ;)

It is kind of like saying vaccines cause autism.

It is an intoxicant. Therefore, I would use the alcohol model. The country seems pretty comfortable with the sale of intoxicants with certain basic assurance of a minimum control.

Make it available for sale in the same outlets as alcohol. They are accustomed to stricter regulation and the collection and payment of special taxes. For public consumption, bars or "cafes" with similar restrictions as bars would be ok.

I think you should be able to consume Marijuana in all of the places that you can consume alcohol legally. You may not be able to smoke, but ingestion is just as effective and the result is the same.

Tax it, regulate it, take the "smuggling profit" out of it. In other words, it has to be cheap and available enough for it to no longer be a profitable product for drug gangs/cartels to ship.

Growing? Hmmm.... You can't make your own liquor. Even in small craft batches it's illegal. But, you can make beer and wine. Does that mean you can grow ditch weed but not Maui Gold? Not sure. I'm inclined to allow a small pot garden of less than 5 plants. But, I would only spend money busting large pot farms, not the guy that has 50 plants instead of 5.

Forum List

Back