Let's Go Over the "Cliff"

Both sides are at fault.

Time to go over the cliff, and pick those politicians from both parties for politicial extinction.

Let's do it. As Romney correctly pointed out, it's time to start evaluating government expenditures on the basis of whether they are worth borrowing more money from the Chinese to pay for them.

Both sides are at fault.

Time to go over the cliff, and pick those politicians from both parties for politicial extinction.

Agree - both sides are at fault. Agree, I'd like to see plenty of folks in D.C. go the way of the dinosaurs. But their constituents are the only ones who get to make that call.

But I disagree about "time to go over the cliff" It's not the smart way to address the problem. It DOES address the problem and I'd rather see that than nothing at all. And I'd rather go over the cliff that swallow some "kick-the-can-down-the-road" band-aid.

But there are much smarter ways to seriously address the issue. THAT would be my first choice.

No tax increase, I tell ya!

'“When the dust settles and everything’s said and done, federal individual income taxes are not going to go up on almost all Americans next year. That’ll either be settled this weekend by our votes or it’ll be settled after the first of the year,” Sen. Lamar Alexander told reporters.'

Leaders search for last-minute 'fiscal cliff' deal - Washington Times

There is one tax increase I would support: Lift the cap on earnings subject to SS taxes. This is our most regressive tax policy (and would accomplish tax "fairness" more efficiently than Obama's proposal).

I think everybody's taxes should go up by at least 50% of your income. Fuck it. We all have too much money as it is anyway. Then we could all be Democrats.

“When the dust settles and everything’s said and done, federal individual income taxes are not going to go up on almost all Americans next year.

So Republicans aren't going to agree to Obama's plan until AFTER we go off the cliff.

Interesting.

“When the dust settles and everything’s said and done, federal individual income taxes are not going to go up on almost all Americans next year.

So Republicans aren't going to agree to Obama's plan until AFTER we go off the cliff.

Interesting.

Actually it was obvious from the start. Teabagers can't vote for rising taxes, but after the cliff they will vote for cutting them. Politics.

My opinion? Every time a bill comes to the floor, Republicans should vote "present" and allow the dems to FINALLY have to take responsibility for the last four years (six years if you count the last 2 years of the Bush admin).

Why do you think they are not doing just that?

The answer is simple -- the economy would thrive, exposing the lies that Republicans have been telling for the past 30 years.

Of course there are smarter ways, but with the ultra left and the ultra right making compromise impossible for the center, over the cliff is the only way.

It punishes the folks most at fault: the voters who keep electing these fools.

Both sides are at fault.

Agree - both sides are at fault. Agree, I'd like to see plenty of folks in D.C. go the way of the dinosaurs. But their constituents are the only ones who get to make that call.

But I disagree about "time to go over the cliff" It's not the smart way to address the problem. It DOES address the problem and I'd rather see that than nothing at all. And I'd rather go over the cliff that swallow some "kick-the-can-down-the-road" band-aid.

But there are much smarter ways to seriously address the issue. THAT would be my first choice.

It has little to do with the tax structure.

In Europe, for example, Labor's share of national wealth is at a 60 year low.

That is exactly why we need more progressive tax structure -- to make up for declining labor share in GDP.

We cannot stop the income inequality from growing, but we can tax the rich more and less so the rest, so the outcome is more equal.

Of course there are smarter ways, but with the ultra left and the ultra right making compromise impossible for the center, over the cliff is the only way.

It punishes the folks most at fault: the voters who keep electing these fools.

Both sides are at fault.

You may be right. But I'll still push for better.

That is exactly why we need more progressive tax structure -- to make up for declining labor share in GDP.

We cannot stop the income inequality from growing, but we can tax the rich more and less so the rest, so the outcome is more equal.

Clueless. Europe has it, and it does not work to grow prosperity.

Europeans generally live longer, more healthily, and for less medical cost, SF.

We should take the best of what works for them, that's the American way.

Clueless. Europe has it, and it does not work to grow prosperity.

How do you know that?

We'll see. Personally, I think we should go "over the cliff." If the GOP is serious about deficit reduction, this is exactly how it looks.

Also, the current tax structure seems to result in an astounding concentration of wealth into the hands of a very few. If that continues, our economy is finished. It may be that a more progressive income tax structure is the only remaining tool to correct this vast inequality (ineffective though it is), since labor unions have been effectively outlawed and wages are suppressed.

Either way, working Americans will certainly be screwed. That's our economic system.

It is about opportunity and free enterprise, both of which progressives snuff out wherever they go.

They like to snuff unborn life as well. :cool:

How the heck did this turn into an abortuin discussion? Thats the problem with your kind of people is, you turn discussions about actual problems into something as stupid as abortion..God, its never going to be turned over, get over it and focus on what important. If wee go over the fiscal cliff Middle income tax payers will pay for it. Dont believe me? Didnt think so, just come back in 3 months.

You simply have no idea, by that post, what "central planning" really is. Live in the 19th century and die like an individual from the 19th century.

Your post is one of your more stupid ones.

Europeans generally live longer, more healthily, and for less medical cost, SF.

We should take the best of what works for them, that's the American way.

Thanks, central planner, but I'll pass.

Forum List

Back