Let's Go Over the "Cliff"

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Isn't it time to end the charade about pretending to cut the deficit? Obama's "tax the rich" mantra is a campaign slogan about "fairness" rather than a serious attempt to raise government revenue. At the same time, his "spending cuts" are ephemeral "savings" that will never materialize.

The whole idea of the "fiscal cliff" was to impose budgetary discipline on a dysfunctional political system. It's time for everyone to understand that the free ride is over. If there are specific national security or equivalent problems that arise as a result of going over this cliff, they can be dealt with on a case by case basis.

It is interesting that the Democrats are the ones screaming the loudest about this impending "catastrophe." They need the GOP to give them cover for reneging on their unrealistic campaign promises, as well as someone to blame when the economy goes back into recession. I say let them eat their cake and choke on it.

Last edited:
Isn't time to end the charade about pretending to cut the deficit? Obama's "tax the rich" mantra is a campaign slogan about "fairness" rather than a serious attempt to raise government revenue. At the same time, his "spending cuts" are ephemeral "savings" that will never materialize.

The whole idea of the "fiscal cliff" was to impose budgetary discipline on a dysfunctional political system. It's time for everyone to understand that the free ride is over. If there are specific national security or equivalent problems that arise as a result of going over this cliff, they can be dealt with on a case by case basis.

It is interesting that the Democrats are the ones screaming the loudest about this impending "catastrophe." They need the GOP to give them cover for reneging on their unrealistic campaign promises, as well as someone to blame when the economy goes back into recession. I say let them eat their cake and choke on it.

Game, set, match! :clap2: Spot-on

Couldn't agree more. This is not really about "Taxes", but rather "cover" for he democrats. They need someone to blame (other than themselves) for the sorry state of affairs. Any additional tax revenue received would NOT be used for deficit reduction but rather to expand the size of the government.

My opinion? Every time a bill comes to the floor, Republicans should vote "present" and allow the dems to FINALLY have to take responsibility for the last four years (six years if you count the last 2 years of the Bush admin).

I mean, when, EXACTLY, does this economy become the property of Barry Obama? or does he get to spend the NEXT 4 years STILL blaming Bush??

31262097.jpg

But seriously, folks.

The sequester will hit, but the tax increases won't.

Tea Party wants no new taxes, and Obama needs a debt ceiling deal.

But seriously, folks.

We'll see. Personally, I think we should go "over the cliff." If the GOP is serious about deficit reduction, this is exactly how it looks.

Also, the current tax structure seems to result in an astounding concentration of wealth into the hands of a very few. If that continues, our economy is finished. It may be that a more progressive income tax structure is the only remaining tool to correct this vast inequality (ineffective though it is), since labor unions have been effectively outlawed and wages are suppressed.

Either way, working Americans will certainly be screwed. That's our economic system.

But seriously, folks.

We'll see. Personally, I think we should go "over the cliff." If the GOP is serious about deficit reduction, this is exactly how it looks.

Also, the current tax structure seems to result in an astounding concentration of wealth into the hands of a very few. If that continues, our economy is finished. It may be that a more progressive income tax structure is the only remaining tool to correct this vast inequality (ineffective though it is), since labor unions have been effectively outlawed and wages are suppressed.

Either way, working Americans will certainly be screwed. That's our economic system.

It has little to do with the tax structure.

In Europe, for example, Labor's share of national wealth is at a 60 year low.

It is about opportunity and free enterprise, both of which progressives snuff out wherever they go.

But seriously, folks.

It is about opportunity and free enterprise, both of which progressives snuff out wherever they go.

They like to snuff unborn life as well. :cool:

But seriously, folks.

I don't care. If inequality becomes too perverse (and it MAY, even if you think that one person's wages should rightfully be 10,000x that of another "lowly" person), society tends to make "corrections." Human history is filled with revolution.

I don't even know what a Progressive is, although I am certain you would label me as that. Because I am not one your one-size-fits-all "conservatives."

"Progressives" probably don't "snuff unborn life." That is individual women that do that . . . and their well-paid doctors. AND, don't forget how many tens of thousands of innocent women and children have died worldwide over the last few decades because of Washington Bullets that you support. (You never lose any sleep over THAT, do you? Hypocrite.)

"Progressives" probably don't "snuff unborn life." That is individual women that do that . . . and their well-paid doctors. AND, don't forget how many tens of thousands of innocent women and children have died worldwide over the last few decades because of Washington Bullets that you support. (You never lose any sleep over THAT, do you? Hypocrite.)

Not a bit. Any other straw man questions, Sandra? No one controls who gets their hands on bullets/guns. Laws don't prevent it. Want to link that to your lame and unrelated retort?

Last edited:

I don't care. If inequality becomes too perverse (and it MAY, even if you think that one person's wages should rightfully be 10,000x that of another "lowly" person), society tends to make "corrections." Human history is filled with revolution.

I don't even know what a Progressive is, although I am certain you would label me as that. Because I am not one your one-size-fits-all "conservatives."

Our poverty families pull down the equivalent of 60K per year, and struggle with obesity.

We are a loooooong way from the 'poor' revolting.

I've been saying this all along.

If this is what it takes to cut spending...then this is what it takes.

I'm willing to pay a little more in taxes when the cuts are guaranteed.

Cut government and public union salaries and benefits by the U-6 unemployment figures for the next 4 years to start..

It would be a good way to get their attention..

Both sides are at fault.

Time to go over the cliff, and pick those politicians from both parties for politicial extinction.

New Topics

Forum List

Back