Lets discuss the movie....Its a Wonderful Life....and Trump!!

tigerred59

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2015
The other day, I was watching Its a Wonderful Life and it struck me how so similar that movie correlates into todays political genre'. Two key characters....Bailey and Mr. Potter both wanting financial control over the community and its workers. Bailey wanting to do it the right and fair way and Mr. Potter, the greedy way. What struck me in similarities...was the out come.....when Bailey took over, the people were happy and town prospered....Mr. Potter on the other hand without Bailey....turned the town and the people into a cesspool of trash.....two prominent business men....one got his hands dirty right along with the people and understood, the other....never got his hands dirty, never really identified with the little guy and was detached....thus the Trump soon to be legacy!!

images
images
images

The other day, I was watching Its a Wonderful Life and it struck me how so similar that movie correlates into todays political genre'. Two key characters....Bailey and Mr. Potter both wanting financial control over the community and its workers. Bailey wanting to do it the right and fair way and Mr. Potter, the greedy way. What struck me in similarities...was the out come.....when Bailey took over, the people were happy and town prospered....Mr. Potter on the other hand without Bailey....turned the town and the people into a cesspool of trash.....two prominent business men....one got his hands dirty right along with the people and understood, the other....never got his hands dirty, never really identified with the little guy and was detached....thus the Trump soon to be legacy!!

images
images
images

one got his hands dirty right along with the people and understood,

When is the last time we had a candidate like that?

If it were Trump.......Potter would be married to Violet as a trophy wife

images
images
images

Bailey and Mr. Potter both wanting financial control over the community and its workers.

George Bailey did not want financial control over anyone.

when Bailey took over, the people were happy and town prospered....

George never took over. You're confused.

....never got his hands dirty, never really identified with the little guy and was detached

Are you talking about Hillary now?

In reality, a mortgage lender during the Depression would be the most unpopular man in town. You can't just NOT foreclose on people who can't pay their mortgages. That's fraud against the depositors, and if you didn't foreclose, the regulators would shut you down.

• Banned

images
images
images

one got his hands dirty right along with the people and understood,

When is the last time we had a candidate like that?

We've yet to have a real businessman as president.....Potterville ie Trumpville, here it comes.

• Banned
In reality, a mortgage lender during the Depression would be the most unpopular man in town. You can't just NOT foreclose on people who can't pay their mortgages. That's fraud against the depositors, and if you didn't foreclose, the regulators would shut you down.

Oddly enough, this wasn't during the depression era...as a matter of logistics it was really during an economic boom, WWll.

Oddly enough, this wasn't during the depression era...as a matter of logistics it was really during an economic boom, WWll.

Oddly enough, the early part of the movie was during the Depression.

The story the movie was based on was written during the Great Depression. Much of the era was dominated by stories in which the rich were demonized.

It may have been written during the depression era, but if you watch the movie carefully, everyone seem to be prospering....there were no foreclosures or people stressing over money. The only real stress came was Uncle Billy lost the depositors money and when Potter took over...otherwise, everyone seem to be doing quite well...people were buying homes, business's were doing good....this was a post war movie....remember the scene when both George and his girl was talking to Sam on the phone about investing in plastics?

Perhaps, but what struggles did the move show? NONE...the family had a maid.

images
images
images

Bailey and Mr. Potter both wanting financial control over the community and its workers.

....never got his hands dirty, never really identified with the little guy and was detached

My whole thesis on this was to show...business leaders that come through the ranks like Trump and Mr. Potter....make horrible choices for others in life.

George cancelled his honeymoon and used his own money to stop the Savings and Loan from failing.

images
images
images

My whole thesis on this was to show...business leaders that come through the ranks like Trump and Mr. Potter....make horrible choices for others in life.

Your thesis is stupid.

The story the movie was based on was written during the Great Depression. Much of the era was dominated by stories in which the rich were demonized.

Just for the record, the rich was demonized by their opulent behavior. That guiled era showcased just how detached and surreal wealth and opulence was for a nation that was drowning in poverty and no one cared until FDR came along.

And deservedly so. the rich caused the worst depression in history, one that resulted in fascism almost taking over the world.

The problem with the modern GOP is that it watches this movie and cheers for Mr. Potter.

George cancelled his honeymoon and used his own money to stop the Savings and Loan from failing.
Where did they get the money to do that, and buy a very large home on the same day?

Ya know, I forgot about that part....but wasn't that due solely to Potter calling in a loan that he had given the S&L??? Had nothing to do with poverty, rather than the greed of Trump, I mean Mr. Potter

Where did they get the money to do that, and buy a very large home on the same day?

George saved his money. They were about to go on a long honeymoon.
They didn't buy that home on that day.
You're not very familiar with the movie.

Forum List

Back