Less Outsourcing of 'Chores'?

I had cut way back on dry cleaners, bought the dryer ones. Then a One-Price cleaners opened and I'd say the cost has gotten pretty close-and they do a better job.

Instead of having the carpet cleaning service over the holidays, did them myself, with some furniture moving by 'the boys.' ;)

We're eating out a lot less and making more 'special dinners' at home. It's way less expensive, more relaxed, and private.

Will these jobs become 'gone' or will the challenges make them more competitive? Will 'service' change? I've long argued that part of the reason online shopping and 'outlets' have thrived is the poor service given in most service industries. It's not 'fun' to shop most places.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/17/business/17services.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

You make a great point. Until this downturn recovers and that might be a while, services like this will suffer greatly and many will fail. So will other things like entertainment, dining out and so on. This will work it's way through many other sectors of our economy as those business owners don't purchase as much, fail and their employee's become unemployed.

It's getting really tough right now, even for businesses who have longevity behind them.

I think everyone is having to cut back. I started brownbagging my lunch again. THAT is drastic.
I wonder .. why dont politicians do the same? Instead they dine at fancy restaurants costing hundreds when there are people starving and on our dime!
You see them constantly pop out of the back of a chauffeured vehicle ... the bus/taxi isnt good enough?

I to do it myself if I can and we have always been the family that makes 1.00 more putting us out of reach of any government/state help. Not that we would take it, but watching so many other abuse it makes one mad! It doesnt help the situation we are in either and they are the same ones that will be getting the help when its handed out AGAIN!

With that said, this poor economy doesn't affect us any different. My jobs are are fewer and I have to work harder to get them, but we are still working and paying our bills.

This ecomomy hasn't really effected us much,since we already were on a budget. We don't really eat out a lot,just once on the weekends while out running errands (usually lunch). I take my lunch to work,buy new work and kids school clothes once a year,with savings budgeted from the previous year and don't go over the set amount. Shop during sales and on tax free weekends etc..

I did just get a 8K a year promotion, so I will be pinching less penny's in 2009...however,I do plan on saving a lot more,instead of just going on huge shopping sprees.

Never have had a dog babysitter/daycare or maid...what's that like I wonder :lol:

Why do you think everybody is having to cut back?
Are you making less income than you were 6, 9, 12 months ago?
Are you cutting back because you are suffering financially? Or for some other reason?

This is the "rub" about most any recession. The VAST MAJORITY of us are not only NOT unemployed (about 93%), are NOT making LESS money. No the vast majority of us are employed and making AT LEAST as much and many of us more than we were a year ago.

What we have lost is confidence. Many of us FEAR possible future unemployment. We looked at our credit card balances and 2nd mortgages and took a reality check and said ENOUGH. We also watched the value of our retirement accounts get cut in half.

So most of us are making as much or more than a year ago. Most stuff costs considerably LESS than it did a year ago, especially gasoline and heating fuel. But we have no CONFIDENCE. Thus we are paying down debt, and mainly waiting until we have the cash in hand before spending it.

Batboy, one of the Hotrod magazines just tested some HHO sytems and got a 60% increase in mileage on a hopped up small block Chevy. The patents on these systems were taken out between WW1 and WW2. So why are not these systems in wide use today? How about wind power? As more of the big turbines are built, the price is per kw of energy of the mills is declining, much below coal when all costs are considered. Yet you constantly read how expensive wind is.

There are many alternatives to what we do today. Many that are less expensive and far less destructive of our environment. But all too many of them lessen the incomes of some very powerful people. People supported by, and who own, most of our media.

2kwh residential wind turbines still run about $50,000 installed.... that's a fair chunk of change for most people. Not to mention they violate most neighborhood aesthetic covenants.

This is the "rub" about most any recession. The VAST MAJORITY of us are not only NOT unemployed (about 93%), are NOT making LESS money. No the vast majority of us are employed and making AT LEAST as much and many of us more than we were a year ago.

What we have lost is confidence. Many of us FEAR possible future unemployment. We looked at our credit card balances and 2nd mortgages and took a reality check and said ENOUGH. We also watched the value of our retirement accounts get cut in half.

So most of us are making as much or more than a year ago. Most stuff costs considerably LESS than it did a year ago, especially gasoline and heating fuel. But we have no CONFIDENCE. Thus we are paying down debt, and mainly waiting until we have the cash in hand before spending it.

Very valid points!

And when we stop spending it, we only make the problem larger and longer!

Very valid points!

And when we stop spending it, we only make the problem larger and longer!

True dat. On the other hand, what a pickle if we kept spending and down the road the job went kaput! If I was a 'kid', might not worry so much, but I'm not, so I do.

We haven't been cut back yet, but I am watching what we spend just in case. We, School Board, will be layin off some of our temporary workers very shortly. They keep saying no layoffs of permanent personnel, but I have heard that in too many previous companies. It's the easy way out and is usually one of the first short terms means of saving money. The problem is that the easy way out often leads right back in.

Now I don't feel so bad. I had one of my dogs ate one of my hearing aids. When I went to VA, she said that was one of the most common losses of hearing aids.

I really want Obama to start some of the old WPA efforts. It would give jobs and would begin rebuilding our crumbling infrastructure.

The get rid of the obscene RR Trickle Down Theory and get back to the strong middle class bubble up theory. If 70 - 80 percent of our middle class are working for a reasonable wage, they will spend and the economy will prosper.

P.S. I never use dry cleaning. The chemicals that are left in the clothing are carcinogenic. You should hang them out in the open for a day or more with no plastic on them.

If you eat them Yes. Otherwise in the trace amounts present on your garments after dry cleaning you are more likely to get cancer from over exposure to the sun than from the trace amounts of chemiclas left in your dry cleaning.

By the way the chief reason there is more death from cancer today than ever before is because there is less death from Cholera typhus and Pneumonia andother things.

Forum List

Back