Less Outsourcing of 'Chores'?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I had cut way back on dry cleaners, bought the dryer ones. Then a One-Price cleaners opened and I'd say the cost has gotten pretty close-and they do a better job.

Instead of having the carpet cleaning service over the holidays, did them myself, with some furniture moving by 'the boys.' ;)

We're eating out a lot less and making more 'special dinners' at home. It's way less expensive, more relaxed, and private.

Will these jobs become 'gone' or will the challenges make them more competitive? Will 'service' change? I've long argued that part of the reason online shopping and 'outlets' have thrived is the poor service given in most service industries. It's not 'fun' to shop most places.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/17/business/17services.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,731

We are do it yourself people. Always have been. We built our home literally. Only jobs we contracted out was the bricking and the really heaving initial plumbing. We did the rest. Don't have carpet. Floors are easier to keep clean. We have the Pergo. We eat at home, only rarely go to a restauraunt. We eat better too. We have a big garden winter and summer, we have cabbages and collards right now, I do get my hair cut professionally, but I cut my husbands hair. I don't own clothes that need dry cleaning. And best of all we are debt free. I hate hate hate starbucks coffee. What a total waste of good money. I'm cheep! :eusa_shhh::lol:

3. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    The self-fulfilling prophecy of a recession is upon us. The MSM has been screaming at the top of their lungs for a year that we are in a recession, and finally, some people started to listen. Many of these people weren't experiencing a decline in their income, nor financially suffering. Yet, as soon as they cut back, the results were obvious. The businesses that they stopped patronizing did start suffering, and laying people off or shutting their doors. The domino effect is is starting to get into full swing.

i think I will go shopping today and help stimulate the economy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I think everyone is having to cut back. I started brownbagging my lunch again. THAT is drastic.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Why do you think everybody is having to cut back?
    Are you making less income than you were 6, 9, 12 months ago?
    Are you cutting back because you are suffering financially? Or for some other reason?

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Just in case you missed it, the economy is stagnant. I'm not making less, but I also am not making more.

I am not suffering, but I don't have the expendable income I did a year ago.

7. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,823
    I have to agree with some of what you've said here. If people are still employed and making the same income, cutting back hurts the economy. It's almost a patriotic duty for people in this position to keep on spending money.

:lol:

I think I'll go out to lunch today.

8. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,731

There you go with the patriotic duty again. I think people are leery of spending just to spend. I betcha the smart ones are getting the hell outta the stock market business and into the coffee can business. A penny saved blah blah blah.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    The high gas prices of spring/summer ate into my 'savings' meager though they were. Now I'm just working at paying off debt, without becoming a huge tightwad. ;)

Today though, thanks to the dog, going to throw $700 into the economy for my replacement hearing aid. :(

10. WillowTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,731

don't do it. You won't have to hear him bark!:lol:

ps cats don't eat hearing aids, and they don't eat dog poop either.