Should Drugs Be Legalized in America?

• Yes, All drugs should be legalized

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Yes, but only soft drugs should be legalized

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No Drugs should be legalized

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
There are many pragmatic arguments for legalization of recreational drugs (already defined in various statutes). When I was an undergrad in 1971, my Penology professor (who worked at Western Penitentiary- Pennsylvania), claimed that 80% of the inmates were in prison for either direct or indirect "drug crimes." "Indirect" being crimes committed in order to obtain money for drugs.

He speculated that if you "legalized drugs" (to be defined) you could cut the entire criminal justice system in half (of course, he failed to see that NOTHING results in government getting any smaller).

His idea was to make ANYTHING available by prescription. He believed that the actual cost of producing these drugs was minimal, and even with a hefty retail markup and taxes, they would still be cheap as dirt, compared to street prices.

As for the scourge of addiction, what better way to identify addicts and line them up for treatment, than to force them to go to a doctor for a prescription?

I'm game. It can't cost any more than the perpetual "War on Drugs."

Most drugs should be as legal as is beverage alcohol. But legalization should be preceded and accompanied by intensive public education emphasizing the danger of addiction and graphically revealing the harm it can do.

Forum List

Back