Legal Drinking Age to Be Lowered?

It should be lowered because if you're old enough to join the military, you should be old enough to drink a beer.

Exactly

And you can do many more dangerous things at eighteen like:

Drive, Vote, and Sign Contracts

:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
The drinking age should be lowered to 16

The driving age raised to 24

The voting age should be raised to 30 and you ought to have to pass a literacy test (in English) to be allowed to vote, too.

A test is unconstitutional. Why? Because there is no way to make a test for voting that is not politically motivated to eliminate some group or groups. You can forget about that idea or have you forgotten the Civil Rights fights we already went through and the "tests" for literacy that the South used to prevent blacks from voting?

Your other other claim of 30 is just as capricious, no evidence exists to prove at 30 everyone is ready to vote either.

Your ideas are absolutely bizarre , shall I remind everyone what you think the Government has the power to do?

Last edited:
Public transportation?

Then you clearly were not qualified to vote.

To make public transportation work we'd have to spend a lot more money on it. You willing to pony it up?

And how pray tell can you determine who is 'ready to vote'?

It's 18 in Great Britain, we have a lot of bother with younger kids drinking on the streets, the police do very little.

The drinking age should be lowered to 16

The driving age raised to 24

The voting age should be raised to 30 and you ought to have to pass a literacy test (in English) to be allowed to vote, too.
I posted this on another board about drinking and driving and ages,

----------------------
Everybody pretty much agrees that drunk driving is a bad thing.
And, we all know that many teens drink alcohol long before they are legally allowed to drink at the magical age of 21.
Most states grant a drivers license at age 16.

We have things backwards.
We are giving inexperienced teens the keys to a car and thinking that they wont drink illegally, then drive while illegally drunk.
How stupid is that?

How about if we change the drinking age to 13? And change the driving age to 18?
Give these kids a few years experience getting drunk before we hand them keys to a car.
At least that way they will already know the effects of alcohol on themselves before they do something stupid like drunk driving.

Or, we could just keep doing what we are doing, and keep wondering why people end up dead when teens drive drunk.

To make public transportation work we'd have to spend a lot more money on it. You willing to pony it up?

Sure. Although I'm not sure a pony powered public transit system was what I had in mind.

And how pray tell can you determine who is 'ready to vote'?

Can they read at a 6th grade level?

That's about as high a bar as I think is necessary.

Last edited:
When I was 11, 12 and 13 yrs old, I lived in Italy and at restaurants, my sister and I were served wine mixed with some gingerale or cola at the restaurant table with my parents there....so, back then, I don't believe Italy had a drinking age limit?

and also, coming from a family where my mother was Italian born, on sunday, with the family dinner with my Italian grandparents, we were allowed to have wine mixed with a soda, with dinner at home during my entire teens....

I never felt drinking was a big deal so there was no need to run out and get drunk at 18 or 21...

When I was 11, 12 and 13 yrs old, I lived in Italy and at restaurants, my sister and I were served wine mixed with some gingerale or cola at the restaurant table with my parents there....so, back then, I don't believe Italy had a drinking age limit?

and also, coming from a family where my mother was Italian born, on sunday, with the family dinner with my Italian grandparents, we were allowed to have wine mixed with a soda, with dinner at home during my entire teens....

I never felt drinking was a big deal so there was no need to run out and get drunk at 18 or 21...

I actually *crawled* home on my 21st birthday.. That, combined with a few stupid stunts as a kid makes me unsympathetic to anyones plight over a drinking age.. Far as I'm concerned, we can all live without booze. :D

Tho, I do agree.. If you're old enough to make the decision on your own to join the Military, you're old enough to decide whether or not you want to drink.

NIAAAFatalities082208.jpg

- Mothers Against Drunk Driving - Amethyst Initiative Underage Drinking Response

It should be lowered because if you're old enough to join the military, you should be old enough to drink a beer.

Then think of lowering it as a reward for such service... but not to those who don't..

Not going to happen though... nor should it

And plenty of out 18-20 year old soldiers do legally drink in places such as Germany

Forget lowering the drinking age... up the voting age

^ I see no rational purpose of raising the voting age, and far more rational purposes in lowering it.

There is no rational purpose to raising the voting age. Young people that care nothing for politics or government policies already don't vote. All raising the voting age does is alienate those young people who do take an interest in politics, and probably make them care less about it in the future.

The argument for raising the voting age is that young people don't have enough life experience to make a rational choice. However, what they mean to say is that young people don't have enough life experience to vote the way we want them to vote.

Teenagers have no idea what they are doing in the voting booth. So don't twentysomethings or most voters.

Do you mean that we may take longer using the machines because it may be our first time voting, or that you don't agree with our political views so we must have no idea what we're voting for?

Forum List

Back