Left Wing Media Befriends Westboro Baptist Church

WBC does not object to DADT, they object to the existence of homosexuals period. They protest service members funerals because the US government does not outlaw homosexuality entirely, and execute each and every pervert in the country.

Actually they protest funerals hoping to incite somebody to violence so they can sue and get a big payday, but carefully and scrupulously avoid the Brandenburg line. Homosexuality is a ruse. Or perhaps its six of one, half dozen of the other. I don't pretend to fully understand minds that diseased.

Either way, I fail to see how stripping rights from others in the name of making them pay a judgment (since a Snyder victory here still won't stop them) is doing anything but cutting off our own noses and giving them a status they don't deserve. Their sicko followers and sycophants will just give them more money, and they'll be right back to doing what they've always done.

Honestly, I also have an issue with expanding the underlying tort of IIED. It's already too subjective, and the implications of somebody getting an IIED award for voluntarily viewing third party media content is troubling in itself. How can or should it be possible for a third party to intentionally inflict distress on a person for something they voluntarily seek out? But maybe that's a different thread.

Let's see....permanent loss of First Amendment rights for many others vs. temporary financial setback for a small group of scumbags. Once again, not exactly rocket science.

Last edited:
Why would you title this LEFT WING MEDIA GROUPS? Sheesh chanel

the article in the stars and stripes states MEDIA GROUPS and there are CLEARLY RIGHT WING media groups in the list that are trying to safeguard FIRST AMENDMENT rights????

The Bill of Rights was put into place to protect you from the Government not the private sector. The Bill of Rights was not intended for you to be able to protest private funerals or even private business. I am growing tired of people over extended their rights and trampling the rights of others by doing so.

I am getting tired of people who think they can infringe on my rights because they think other people are offensive. I happen to enjoy being offensive, especially to idiots who think that the government banning speech is not government banning speech. The only way your rights are infringed if I am protesting idiocy is if you try to stop me from protesting, because I will infringe your right not to get slapped and slap you silly.

If the government, in any way shape or form, including through rulings of the judicial branch of the government, restricts anyone's right to say whatever they want, they are violating the Constitution. Or did the court system suddenly become part of an alien organization while I was not looking? No one who attended the funeral even knew those protestors were there, so their rights, whatever you imagine they are, were not infringed in any way.

I doubt that very much. Unless you can state this for certain I wouldn't go around making such a claim. Perhaps you're just listening to fabrications from those who defend these people. I'm sure the friends and family not only saw their signs as they were arriving for the funeral but the media coverage that followed the event that was splashed all over the 24 hour news cycle.

Do you think you should have the freedom to lie about someone in a manner that causes them psychological or financial harm? There are laws against slander and liable you know.

Is it okay to use malicious lies to tarnish the image of a private citizen? If this is the case then who can stop someone from doing the same to a politician or anyone who is in the public eye.

Is this the kind of country you want to live in where common-sense and decency are thrown out in favor of someone's so called right to say inflammatory statements intended to cause turmoil?

Personally I think that trying to get along with each other is more important then everyone's alleged right to spit in someone's eye figuratively or otherwise.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is you think it's okay for anyone to publicly lie about their military service. They have the right to make any claim they want and not face legal repercussions.

Oh wait....a court has established precedence on this already. Turns out they can.

This is one fucked up country.

Last edited:
The Bill of Rights was put into place to protect you from the Government not the private sector. The Bill of Rights was not intended for you to be able to protest private funerals or even private business. I am growing tired of people over extended their rights and trampling the rights of others by doing so.

I am getting tired of people who think they can infringe on my rights because they think other people are offensive. I happen to enjoy being offensive, especially to idiots who think that the government banning speech is not government banning speech. The only way your rights are infringed if I am protesting idiocy is if you try to stop me from protesting, because I will infringe your right not to get slapped and slap you silly.

If the government, in any way shape or form, including through rulings of the judicial branch of the government, restricts anyone's right to say whatever they want, they are violating the Constitution. Or did the court system suddenly become part of an alien organization while I was not looking? No one who attended the funeral even knew those protestors were there, so their rights, whatever you imagine they are, were not infringed in any way.

I doubt that very much. Unless you can state this for certain I wouldn't go around making such a claim. Perhaps you're just listening to fabrications from those who defend these people. I'm sure the friends and family not only saw their signs as they were arriving for the funeral but the media coverage that followed the event that was splashed all over the 24 hour news cycle.

Do you think you should have the freedom to lie about someone in a manner that causes them psychological or financial harm? There are laws against slander and liable you know.

Is it okay to use malicious lies to tarnish the image of a private citizen? If this is the case then who can stop someone from doing the same to a politician or anyone who is in the public eye.

Is this the kind of country you want to live in where common-sense and decency are thrown out in favor of someone's so called right to say inflammatory statements intended to cause turmoil?

Personally I think that trying to get along with each other is more important then everyone's alleged right to spit in someone's eye figuratively or otherwise.

Next thing you're gonna tell me is you think it's okay for anyone to publicly lie about their military service. They have the right to make any claim they want and not face legal repercussions.

Oh wait....a court has established precedence on this already. Turns out they can.

Actually if you'd read the lower court case or the court documents, you'd know the family testified they were not even aware of WBC's presence until they were alerted to the media coverage after the fact. Thank you, counterprotesters and time, place and manner restrictions. ;)

I'm sympathetic to the families, but when the biggest part of the suit is based on Mr. Snyder's voluntary actions in seeking out the coverage including WBC's own website, this is not the case they should be bringing. There are better ways.

Actually if you'd read the lower court case or the court documents, you'd know the family testified they were not even aware of WBC's presence until they were alerted to the media coverage after the fact. Thank you, counterprotesters and time, place and manner restrictions. ;)

I'm sympathetic to the families, but when the biggest part of the suit is based on Mr. Snyder's voluntary actions in seeking out the coverage including WBC's own website, this is not the case they should be bringing. There are better ways.

Perhaps in this particular case you may be partly correct...however this family isn't the only one to get this treatment from these nut-cases. It seems they've been doing this all over the country. Somebody had to draw a line....and Mr. Snyder was the one who chose to partly in support of all of the other families that these weirdos have harmed.

I'm not stretching it when I say weirdos. The cult leader looks like he's possessed by a demon and after listening to him for awhile one gets the impression that not everything is right with the man. He is just about as paranoid a person one would meet outside an insane asylum.

Perhaps in this particular case you may be partly correct...however this family isn't the only one to get this treatment from these nut-cases. It seems they've been doing this all over the country. Somebody had to draw a line....and Mr. Snyder was the one who chose to partly in support of all of the other families that these weirdos have harmed.

I'm not stretching it when I say weirdos. The cult leader looks like he's possessed by a demon and after listening to him for awhile one gets the impression that not everything is right with the man. He is just about as paranoid a person one would meet outside an insane asylum.

That's my whole point, mud. THIS case is not the answer. Those other families have to step up and take the WBC on themselves though. The Snyders don't have standing to ask the Courts to address any situation but their own.

A nice fat IIED award for shit the WBC pulls up close, personal and in the families' faces? I'd love to see that. And that wouldn't have the same chilling effect this case would, nor would it expand IIED beyond its current bounds in the States I'm familiar with anyway, the laws are slightly different from State to State. They'd have to be in a somewhat sympathetic jurisdiction...but again, the tort stuff is probably a separate issue. ;)

But this particular case doesn't address a family being subject to WBC's filth in person. It addresses the equivalent of you being distressed by a video you go look up and watch on youtube, or see on the evening news, or something you look up on a website. And at this level, again, it's the issues that matter because of the scope of the precedent. Not the players involved.

Bottom line, they need to ditch this one and find somebody to bring a better case with better facts and a more narrowly defined issue.

I know what you're saying about these people. I've seen them in action, up close and personal. They're repulsve - and that's puting it mildly. But whatever is done about them has to be done right.

If they win; they will be empowered to stage more scenes, and families will not learn about it "after the fact." They will anticipate and fret over it. The newspapers advertise for them. This is from our local paper:

Westboro Baptist Church plans to protest outside funeral for St. Augustine Prep grad killed in Afghanistan

Westboro Baptist Church plans to protest outside funeral for St. Augustine Prep grad killed in Afghanistan - pressofAtlanticCity.com

No shit. And how do you think the counterprotesters and groups like Rolling Thunder and the Society of Friends and others who assist the families know where to show up? :rolleyes:

You seem to have a problem with the entire concept of free speech. Good thing you have people like the ACLU to protect you from your own ignorance, because I can guarantee that someone would find your ideas just as offensive as the ones you are ranting against, which would make them illegal if you actually got your way.

If they win; they will be empowered to stage more scenes, and families will not learn about it "after the fact." They will anticipate and fret over it. The newspapers advertise for them. This is from our local paper:

Westboro Baptist Church plans to protest outside funeral for St. Augustine Prep grad killed in Afghanistan
Westboro Baptist Church plans to protest outside funeral for St. Augustine Prep grad killed in Afghanistan - pressofAtlanticCity.com

Why not contribute to Rolling Thunder? They will again show up to protest WBC, and some of the travel hundreds of miles. Do0esn't that make more sense than trying to shut someone up just because you do not like what they have to say, thus putting your own right to say things at risk?

Why not contribute to Rolling Thunder? They will again show up to protest WBC, and some of the travel hundreds of miles. Do0esn't that make more sense than trying to shut someone up just because you do not like what they have to say, thus putting your own right to say things at risk?

Good idea. Better yet if you have the time and see the announcement that WBC is expected, instead of turning up your nose why not turn up there yourself? Many counterprotesters show up as part of a group, but not all. Yes, WBC are vermin - but that's the whole point. A human wall between them and the families is not much to ask, but it can be a big help.

Forum List

Back