Least favorite repair task...drilling broken bolts

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Good news, bad news story... unbeknownst to me, I had the socket to remove these reverse Torx head bolts...still don't know the actual name, but the head of the bolt looks like a Torx head driver.

IMG_20221229_151800557.jpg

So I don't have to drive to Springfield for a tool. I have a Torx and Allen head socket set from Kobolt that included these E type socket drivers. The E14 fit perfectly.

IMG_20221229_151721920.jpg

IMG_20221229_151737346_HDR.jpg

Unfortunately, these fastener bolt were stuck fast and I broke them both off.

May times this is a welcome development. Nuts and bolts are cheap. But these the threads were machined into the part. Luckily they were through bolts and not blind.

IMG_20221230_112403967_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221230_111059971_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221230_114230668_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221230_123222846_HDR.jpgIMG_20221230_134731767_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221230_123136542_HDR.jpg

Drilling them out damaged the old threads so they received a retapping and some extra-long Allen head fasteners with locknut backing just in case.

16725053098688435762746106624336.jpg

Good news, bad news story... unbeknownst to me, I had the socket to remove these reverse Torx head bolts...still don't know the actual name, but the head of the bolt looks like a Torx head driver.

View attachment 743603

So I don't have to drive to Springfield for a tool. I have a Torx and Allen head socket set from Kobolt that included these E type socket drivers. The E14 fit perfectly.

View attachment 743601

View attachment 743604

Unfortunately, these fastener bolt were stuck fast and I broke them both off.

May times this is a welcome development. Nuts and bolts are cheap. But these the threads were machined into the part. Luckily they were through bolts and not blind.

View attachment 743605

View attachment 743606

View attachment 743607

View attachment 743609View attachment 743610

View attachment 743608

Drilling them out damaged the old threads so they received a retapping and some extra-long Allen head fasteners with locknut backing just in case.

View attachment 743612
No EZ outs? I usually drill them and then let them soak with some penetrating oil. A lot of times the broken bolt will back right out with an EZ out.

If I get one that looks like it's going to be a real booger....I split the nut.
But by then I've sometimes had to remove the head and a bunch of chit <headache>
I'm going to remember that.

As a backyard mechanic it would never occur to me to start with a nut splitter.

I go through the same ritual every time.

Standard force
Penetrating oil (repeated use between all other steps)
Tappy tap tap
Cheater bar
Heat
Differential heat.

Usually before I get to differential heat, it either breaks loose...or breaks off.

👍👍👍👍 I don't even try to remove exhaust manifolds anymore. That is one job I leave to the professionals.
I had to do it a few times at my shop. One was impossible to get to without taking the manifold off so I sent to another shop to do it. I had too much tranny work to do.

Standard force
Tappy tap tap
Cheater bar
Heat
Differential heat.

Usually before I get to differential heat, it either breaks loose...or breaks off.

on some smaller bolts, i was lucky to be able to spin them out just using a left hand drill bit, and on some of the larger ones, depending on how they broke and the location, i could weld an extension of some sort to put a wrench on , and that worked a couple times

Freeze spray isn't just for diagnosing electronics. Expand the outer part with heat. Freeze the inner part. Seldom room to mount a nut splitter in reality. A hammer and chisel works more often. I've extracted a lot of nasty things with just a spring loaded center punch.

Last edited:

Standard force
Tappy tap tap
Cheater bar
Heat
Differential heat.

I hate it when it happens. I used to work on bottle fillers and had a broken bolt as a result of corrosion in the front table of the machine--after all the attendant cussing at every step, we finally ended up putting a helicoil in the hole.

Forum List

Back