LCD, plus another question(s)

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
Just bought an LCD because the wife could no longer stand the monstrocity that was my former 19inch (she wants to put an L desk in and the monster would not fit).

I need some help here:

It is a samsung 930B. The pictures are amazing (I immediately checked out DMP's pics of the NW). However, the font(s) seem a bit fuzzy. The native resolution on this 19inch is 1280X1040 (or something like that). I no longer have eyes of steele, so I can't go higher than 1024X7something.

Is there a way to make the fonts, I know the pixels matter, more sharp?

I have an AMD ath 2000+ with NV FX 5200 128 meg card. Motherboard is cheap as it was free my my pop. I have 768 ram (512 ddr) the other is old school.

My thoughts:

I want to upgrade my system (have WD 120G Gold 7200 HD). There is a 2.8 intel with pro MB at frys for $119, BUT, here is the thing, I was just told at bestbuy that the new graphics cards are PCI express and they are the bomb. Been so long since I have been involved in building systems that I actually thought PCI express meant PCI slot :slap: . So, the $119 combo has AGP, not PCI E.

Questions:

Will an upgrade (motherboard/cpu alone) make any difference with the pixelation as I am not running native resolution?

If I upgrade motherboard/CPU, should I buy a PCI express capable MB as this appear to be the next generation. Bestbuy has one on sale (GF FX 6600 256) for $129.

Or should I buy the $119 combo (increase perf) and then wait a wee bit until the AGP cards go on sale?

I am not a big gamer, more like a tourist. I have CIV IV, Star wars stuff, but the last big action game I bought was RTW II. I think that game is 4 years old, but great game.

Any suggestions?

Forum List

Back