LBJ's "War on Poverty" has been a dismal failure

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/o...d-poverty-in-america.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

With all of that, why have we not achieved more? Four reasons: An astonishing number of people work at low-wage jobs. Plus, many more households are headed now by a single parent, making it difficult for them to earn a living income from the jobs that are typically available. The near disappearance of cash assistance for low-income mothers and children — i.e., welfare — in much of the country plays a contributing role, too. And persistent issues of race and gender mean higher poverty among minorities and families headed by single mothers.

hating and spitting on poor people instead helping them makes you shitty people.

It also doesn't end poverty

Anytime the US government starts a "war on xxxxx" program, you can be sure it is designed for one purpose and one purpose only. It is designed as a cash cow for the politicians implementing and running it, and paid for by the citizens it was falsely designed to help.

Last edited:
One burning question:

If the war on poverty actually succeeded, why are there 91 million people sitting at home right now not working?

Oh yeah that's right. You'd rather build the fire for the man and keep him warm for a day, not teach him to build it and be warm for the rest of his life.

The "war" was a failure. Perpetuating poverty was not accomplished, rather poverty itself has become institutionalized. Obama is doing his level best to extend this trend by championing the welfare state at the cost of the only thing that has ever proved effective in creating wealth; the free market.

The typical right wing mantra...social Darwinism...survival of the richest.

Contumacious, Meathead, TemplarKormac, HelenaHandbag and friends...

bD437.jpg

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.
President John F. Kennedy
Typical sweeping generalization smear from the left, when they've exhausted their intellectual ammunition, presuming they had any for starters.

You cannot help the poor by being one of them yourself.

BTW, I thought leftists believed in Darwinism.

One burning question:

If the war on poverty actually succeeded, why are there 91 million people sitting at home right now not working?

Oh yeah that's right. You'd rather build the fire for the man and keep him warm for a day, not teach him to build it and be warm for the rest of his life.

Because there hasn't been enough bureaucracy and money thrown at it, even after the erection of uncountable agencies, programs and the expenditure of tens of trillions of dollars.

We just have to put the *right* Marxist central planners in place, then everything will be sunshine and peace beads. :doubt:

Government Action Is Literally The Only Reason We Have Less Poverty Now Than In 1967

Everything you need to know about the war on poverty
But we don't have less poverty.

Try to 'grasp' this reality. We don't live in a vacuum, or a static nation. Without those programs the poverty rate would be much higher.

Indeed we don't.

Do you have any idea where those funds are obtained?

They are forcefully extracted from taxpayers and producers.

They can be murdered or jailed for refusing to "volunteer" their income.

So the only way of earning a living is being a CEO?!?!?!?!

You such a moron! -- it's not about simply earning a living. It's about having a job with a pay that keeps up with productivity growth. And modern economy creates very few such jobs. And it would not create any more of them even if everyone earns a PhD.

The market economy creates an ever more unequal income distribution, and education won't change that trend. The only way to fix the outcome would be more income redistribution by the government.

Why , are you wearing cement shoes? Are you a plant?

Quit the bullshit and relocate where the jobs are.

Man, you are naive... You think there is some magical city with tons of high paying job vacancies?

For the third time: this economy creates VERY FEW high paying jobs. There is simply not enough of them to employ everyone, no matter how educated everyone becomes.

Answer this question -- do you want to live in a country where most of national income goes to a tiny rich elite, while the rest have to live on stagnating or even falling real incomes? Do you think this is what Founding Fathers had in mind?

Last edited:

You can only help them by teaching them how to free themselves from the shackles of poverty.

What makes you think it is even possible? You think people work at Walmart because they are to lazy to go in college?

Imagine for a second that everyone in this country got college degree. Who do you think then would work at Walmart and McDonald's?

Last edited:

You can only help them by teaching them how to free themselves from the shackles of poverty.

What makes you think it is even possible? You think people work at Walmart because they are to lazy to go in college?

Imagine for a second that everyone in this country got college degree. Who do you think then would work at Walmart and McDonald's?

I never said anything about attending college or getting a degree. I never went to college. Instead, I used my worth ethic to secure a job in a field that I liked. Then I educated myself as much as possible about the job and developed my skills in performing the job. I worked at that job for 20 years, and then I went out on my own and started my own business in that same field. I owned that company for 18 years and used it to support my family and better myself and improve my lifestyle.
If I can do it, so can you and everyone else. You don't need a college education to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and make your life better. All it takes is a little hard work and a lot of determination.

I never said anything about attending college or getting a degree. I never went to college. Instead, I used my worth ethic to secure a job in a field that I liked. Then I educated myself as much as possible about the job and developed my skills in performing the job. I worked at that job for 20 years, and then I went out on my own and started my own business in that same field. I owned that company for 18 years and used it to support my family and better myself and improve my lifestyle. I sold my company last year and made enough money from it to support me and my family in my retirement years.
If I can do it, so can you and everyone else. You don't need a college education to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and make your life better. All it takes is a little hard work and a lot of determination.

I never said anything about attending college or getting a degree. I never went to college. Instead, I used my worth ethic to secure a job in a field that I liked. Then I educated myself as much as possible about the job and developed my skills in performing the job. I worked at that job for 20 years, and then I went out on my own and started my own business in that same field. I owned that company for 18 years and used it to support my family and better myself and improve my lifestyle. I sold my company last year and made enough money from it to support me and my family in my retirement years.

No, you are wrong -- we can't all become business owners. Only some of us can.

It's like a race -- yes, you can beat others by working harder, but there is not enough room on the podium to accommodate every participant. No matter how hard every participant tries, only very few of them end up as winners.

Last edited:

It's like a race -- yes, you can beat others by working harder, but there is not enough room on the podium to accommodate every participant. No matter how hard every participant tries, only very few of them end up as winners.

Then why be content to remain one who can't? The economy is not a 'zero-sum' game. Just because one person makes a lot that doesn't mean that someone else has to make less. What you can accomplish, and earn, is up to you and not someone else. All you have to do is to make yourself, your product or service more valuable so that others are willing to pay for it.

I wanted to come back and address this post with another thought. Yes, there will always be winners and losers in life. Not everyone can be a CEO, or a business owner or a supervisor of computer programmers. Every person can, however, do as much as their education, talents and determination will allow them. Otoh, no matter how much technology is improved upon in our lives, and no matter how much easier those improvements make our lives, there will always be a need for basic laborers. There will always be a need for cashiers, for food workers, for cab drivers and for ditch diggers. No one should ever be ashamed for filling the needs of others, no matter what that need may be. So whatever your particular niche in life may be, do the best you can, and do it with pride. You CAN make whatever improvements in your life that your particular job or payscale will allow. You DON"T have to sit at home and collect welfare.

Forum List

Back