Zone1 Lawsuit alleges Harvard gives preferential treatment to legacy admissions, who are ‘overwhelmingly’ White

In other words Harvard did not say Blacks were not serious students.
They said that Asians were too serious, which they used against them, implying that blacks are less serious. Pretty nasty of Harvard to be making wide-spread racial stereotypes like that, wouldn’t you say?

Oh. So Blacks aren’t serious students now.
To continue, Harvard must have decided that blacks have just the right degree of seriousness! That’s how they justified admitting ones with scores so much lower than Asians.

No, not if they’re already enrolled and in the middle of their program.

But for those who got admitted due to their being black, and a white or Asian being rejected due to their being their races, yes. They haven’t started yet, and it’s not fair to punish the better students just because Harvard didn’t want “their kind.”
So (assuming you can figure out WHO was admitted because just because they were Black) you are advocating rescinding their admissions despite the fact they applied in good faith under the existing rules, have already made their plans and turned down offers…because you guys don’t want “their kind”. Pretty damn cold.

As for Harvard “not wanting their kind”…27.9% of th icoming class is Asian, double the Black admits. Looks to me like they want Asians.

They said that Asians were too serious, which they used against them, implying that blacks are less serious. Pretty nasty of Harvard to be making wide-spread racial stereotypes like that, wouldn’t you say?
Stereotypes are often nasty. It’s not just Harvard.

So (assuming you can figure out WHO was admitted because just because they were Black) you are advocating rescinding their admissions despite the fact they applied in good faith under the existing rules, have already made their plans and turned down offers…because you guys don’t want “their kind”. Pretty damn cold.

As for Harvard “not wanting their kind”…27.9% of th icoming class is Asian, double the Black admits. Looks to me like they want Asians.
The Asians and whites ALSO applied in good faith. Why don’t you feel it’s unfair to punish THEM, since they were the better students who were rejected due to their race? Pretty damn cold.

And remember - Asians in particular were rejected because Harvard deemed them “too serious” and unlikeable - smearing an entire race due to negative subjective personality judgments.

I want to do what’s fair. The black applicants with the lowest scores and grades who got in only because they were black got in for unconstitutional reasons. Let’s do right by the Asians unfairly rejected.

Stereotypes are often nasty. It’s not just Harvard.
It is remarkable, is it not, that a liberal bastion like Harvard engages it racism? I thought liberals were opposed to racism.

Harvard was 100% wrong on this

The Asians and whites ALSO applied in good faith. Why don’t you feel it’s unfair to punish THEM, since they were the better students who were rejected due to their race? Pretty damn cold.

And remember - Asians in particular were rejected because Harvard deemed them “too serious” and unlikeable - smearing an entire race due to negative subjective personality judgments.

I want to do what’s fair. The black applicants with the lowest scores and grades who got in only because they were black got in for unconstitutional reasons. Let’s do right by the Asians unfairly rejected.
So you think it is fair to expel them because of their race?

So you think it is fair to expel them Because of their race?
I said no to expulsion. Did you not read my answer?

I sad yes to those admitted who haven’t yet started. They were admitted using their race as a factor.

Do you not think it is unfair to refuse to admit the Asians and whites who were denied for an unconstitutional reason? Why are you so willing to punish the Asians and whites who would have gotten in and defend the blacks who only got in because their skin was dark?

I said no to expulsion. Did you not read my answer?

I sad yes to those admitted who haven’t yet started. They were admitted using their race as a factor.
There is no real difference once they are admitted and plan on coming. They’ve already made plans, set up financing and housing, turned down other offers. You have no problem destroying their future because they are the wrong race. They didn’t do anything wrong. Cold.

Do you not think it is unfair to refuse to admit the Asians and whites who were denied for an unconstitutional reason?
How exactly will you determine who was admitted or denied solely on the basis of race?

Why are you so willing to punish the Asians and whites who would have gotten in and defend the blacks who only got in because their skin was dark?
I don’t think it is me punishing anyone here. You are the one wanting to retroactively apply this and destroy what these students worked so hard for, and applied and were accepted, in good faith. THAT is punishment.

There is no real difference once they are admitted and plan on coming. They’ve already made plans, set up financing and housing, turned down other offers. You have no problem destroying their future because they are the wrong race. They didn’t do anything wrong. Cold.

How exactly will you determine who was admitted or denied solely on the basis of race?

I don’t think it is me punishing anyone here. You are the one wanting to retroactively apply this and destroy what these students worked so hard for, and applied and were accepted, in good faith. THAT is punishment.
Destroying their future?? What an exaggeration! Why can’t they go to a different school? One that they would have gotten into regardless of race - and not admitted due to their “blackness”?

After all, isn’t that what you said my dad could have done if there had been Affirmative Action back in the 40s and he might have been rejected for his “whiteness?” You said he was smart and could have been successful at a lesser school and still have had a good life. So why not say the same thing about black applicants?

And you don’t think the Asians and whites rejected for being the “wrong“ race worked hard to get into Harvard?

You think you are morally superior to me, but your bias toward blacks and against BETTER Asians and whites (academically speaking) is obvious. Whitey and Sulaun can go to lesser schools, but the blacks with worse SATs and grades….dang….they deserve Harvard!

As I said, thank Gd there was no Affirmative Action when my very poor but very bright dad got a free college education due to his standing on the Regents and his GPA. The libs would be happy to kick his white Jewish butt to a lesser school and make sure a black with worse grades and score got his place.

As I said, thank Gd there was no Affirmative Action when my very poor but very bright dad got a free college education due to his standing on the Regents and his GPA. The libs would be happy to kick his white Jewish butt to a lesser school and make sure a black with worse grades and score got his place.
I can't wait until these bigots get rid of legacy admissions. I don't care. No one in my family has ever benefited from preferential treatment. We worked hard and paid our own way. LMAO, legacy admissions go away and black legacies are refused as well. Critical thinking doesn't seem to be a thing in modern society.

This caught me by surprise. I knew certain things were going to occur however I thought the lawsuits would be by non-minorities complaining that universities are still letting in "too many Black people" and discriminating in favor of Blacks in direct violation of SCOTUS's latest ruling.

This will be interesting to see how it things play out.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/03/us/harvard-college-legacy-admissions-lawsuit/index.html

CNN - Three minority advocacy groups are suing Harvard University’s governing body, accusing the school of discrimination by giving preferential treatment to children of wealthy donors and alumni, and are citing the recent US Supreme Court ruling that gutted affirmative action to bolster their lawsuit.​
The lawsuit, filed by the Lawyers for Civil Rights group on behalf of the Chica Project, the African Community Economic Development of New England, and the Greater Boston Latino Network, alleges the students who receive that preferential treatment are “overwhelmingly White,” and make up as much as 15% of admitted students.​
“This preferential treatment has nothing to do with an applicant’s merit. Instead, it is an unfair and unearned benefit that is conferred solely based on the family that the applicant is born into,” Lawyers for Civil Rights said in a news release. “This custom, pattern, and practice is exclusionary and discriminatory. It severely disadvantages and harms applicants of color.”​
The lawsuit comes less than a week after the Supreme Court gutted affirmative action in college admissions, ruling schools can no longer take race into consideration as a specific basis for accepting a candidate.​
The lawsuit cited that ruling and quoted the Supreme Court’s majority, which said, “College admissions are zero-sum, and a benefit provided to some applicants but not to others necessarily advantages the former at the expense of the latter.”​
Nobody should be able to buy their way into college. If the student qualifies via highest test scores and other measurable criteria used to evaluate a student,s likelihood of achieving academic success, that student should be admitted whether he/she is white, black, brown, Asian, straight, gay, pink, polka dot.

Destroying their future?? What an exaggeration! Why can’t they go to a different school? One that they would have gotten into regardless of race - and not admitted due to their “blackness”?

You claimed to have worked in admissions. As such you would know that at this point students who have been admitted and accepted he offer (April 5th is usually around when they must make a decision to accept) are well into the process of planning for the start of their schooling. Other offers have been declined. Housing has been set up, advising and registration, student loans, support networks etc. You think so little of them that you insist their acceptances be reversed (due to their “blackness”) and leave them far too late to make other academic arrangements. And they did nothing wrony.
After all, isn’t that what you said my dad could have done if there had been Affirmative Action back in the 40s and he might have been rejected for his “whiteness?” You said he was smart and could have been successful at a lesser school and still have had a good life. So why not say the same thing about black applicants?
In 40’s…in fact prior to the late 60’s there were few to no Black students admitted to the Ivy League schools. At least your father would have had a chance. But I thought you said it was your grandfather who was tbe impoverished 4th floor tenament dweller?

And I don’t believe I suggested that he (or ANY student) have their admission be rescinded because some one changed the tools and wanted to retroactively apply them to punish the student for getting admitted.

And you don’t think the Asians and whites rejected for being the “wrong“ race worked hard to get into Harvard?

Everyone did. All 61,456 applicants.

You think you are morally superior to me, but your bias toward blacks and against BETTER Asians and whites (academically speaking) is obvious. Whitey and Sulaun can go to lesser schools, but the blacks with worse SATs and grades….dang….they deserve Harvard!

I’m not the one assuming a Black student got in without merit and that getting in meant he displaced a better applicant. Nor am I the one that wants to retroactively punish them for getting in.

You claimed to have worked in admissions. As such you would know that at this point students who have been admitted and accepted he offer (April 5th is usually around when they must make a decision to accept) are well into the process of planning for the start of their schooling. Other offers have been declined. Housing has been set up, advising and registration, student loans, support networks etc. You think so little of them that you insist their acceptances be reversed (due to their “blackness”) and leave them far too late to make other academic arrangements. And they did nothing wrony.

In 40’s…in fact prior to the late 60’s there were few to no Black students admitted to the Ivy League schools. At least your father would have had a chance. But I thought you said it was your grandfather who was tbe impoverished 4th floor tenament dweller?

And I don’t believe I suggested that he (or ANY student) have their admission be rescinded because some one changed the tools and wanted to retroactively apply them to punish the student for getting admitted.

Everyone did. All 61,456 applicants.

I’m not the one assuming a Black student got in without merit and that getting in meant he displaced a better applicant. Nor am I the one that wants to retroactively punish them for getting in.
But you’re fine punishing Asians and whites who were rejected for an unconstitutional reason.

And just FYI, my dad was the kid in the tenement. Of course my grandfather and grandmother lived there too.

Not to mention the 23% International students that Harvard admitted who also get legacy admissions. The fact of the matter is NVM and Coyote are bigots who live for racist click bait.

The study, published earlier this month in the National Bureau of Economic Research, found that 43 percent of white students admitted to Harvard University were recruited athletes, legacy students, children of faculty and staff, or on the dean’s interest list — applicants whose parents or relatives have donated to Harvard.

That number drops dramatically for black, Latino and Asian American students, according to the study, with less than 16 percent each coming from those categories.

The study also found that roughly 75 percent of the white students admitted from those four categories, labeled 'ALDCs' in the study, “would have been rejected if they had been treated as white non-ALDCs,” the study said.

Almost 70 percent of all legacy applicants are white, compared with 40 percent of all applicants who do not fall under those categories, the authors found.

Coyote

i decided you’re right. Let the 2023-2024 class proceed. It would be to much of a mess to change things for this year.

But next year, when race cannot be a factor, the Asians and whites who were rejected unfairly should reapply. They can take a gap year for this coming year.

But you’re fine punishing Asians and whites who were rejected for an unconstitutional reason.

Were they admitted to Harvard? No. There were 6,000 or so not admitted. Most likely they applied to other top level schools as well and gotten accepted in at least one if they are that stellar. All that by early Spring.

How does that compare to pulling the acceptance from a student, after he has committed to housing, loans, courses and prep for the start of classes? AFTER being accepted? That is punishing someone who did nothing wrong.

Coyote

i decided you’re right. Let the 2023-2024 class proceed. It would be to much of a mess to change things for this year.
Thank you.

But next year, when race cannot be a factor, the Asians and whites who were rejected unfairly should reapply. They can take a gap year for this coming year.
There is no guarantee they will be accepted. It will be the same for everyone. It isn’t just test scores and GPA.

• Winner
Reactions: IM2

Forum List

Back