Lawn mowing nightmare......

Dried enough for me to mow about half the yard... it is a bit better now. Although it was supposed to be overcast, the sun has been out for the past hour or so and that did the trick.
Now sitting here in the A/C with a fam blowing on me with iced tea cooling off.
The older you get, the longer it takes to cool off.

Something like that was unheard of 30 years ago, but in areas that get little rain...

---Las Vegas declares turf war on lawns as drought worsens---

I grew up in NM and AZ in the 60s when we could still have grass. I visited those places a couple years ago and saw the natural state. You can have it. The desert is a beautiful place to visit but I don't want to live there anymore.

Pic of mower? You probably got the "clog 'em" deck which is to be avoided at all costs.

It looks like this:

d0bef900-42e2-4864-913c-3a04ea98c994.404350b82c1f71a7fc16c4348485d7fd.jpeg

or this:

193028008636.jpg

Anything with that high and right chute design is going to clog after only a few feet of mowing.

Side discharge is the way to go, or any deck that doesn't look like the above 2.

I learned this several years back.

This is OK:

d5ee2ba2-709a-4774-929a-e43f6d4bb415_1.57afa6f81c2a8a89f4ce7e0bf29419bd.jpeg

The only way to go.

1691945259381.jpeg

the problem with gravel or rocks in the front yard is it gives bad people ammunition to throw at your house,,

and the picture above is a perfect example of what not to put in the front of your house during civil unrest

Ah! Good point!

But I live in a very well-armed town, so there would be ammo on both sides. More on ours and it's more deadly than 1" gravel.

Ah! Good point!

But I live in a very well-armed town, so there would be ammo on both sides. More on ours and it's more deadly than 1" gravel.

only works if youre there when they start throwing,,

I always told my wife no rocks in the front yard,, we moved to a new house that had a gravel driveway and a big picture window we sat in front of and low and behold 2 months in some punk kids walking down the street decided to throw rocks at the window,,
I tried to chase them but they were long gone,, then the dumb fucks did it again the next day while my wife was unloading the car,,
my shop was a mile away so she called me and said they went to a house around the corner,
just so happens my step dad and a friend of his was there and we showed up 5 minutes later from both directions and blocked the street,
there were about 10 teens hanging out and the one that did it hid in one of the cars,,

lets just say it never happened again,,

my wife now understands what I meant,,

only works if youre there when they start throwing,,

I always told my wife no rocks in the front yard,, we moved to a new house that had a gravel driveway and a big picture window we sat in front of and low and behold 2 months in some punk kids walking down the street decided to throw rocks at the window,,
I tried to chase them but they were long gone,, then the dumb fucks did it again the next day while my wife was unloading the car,,
my shop was a mile away so she called me and said they went to a house around the corner,
just so happens my step dad and a friend of his was there and we showed up 5 minutes late from both directions and blocked the street,
there were about 10 teens hanging out and the one that did it hid in one of the cars,,

lets just say it never happened again,,

my wife now understands what I meant,,

Good to know.

If I knew who tossed a rock through my window, I would call the police and have him or her charged with vandalism, destruction of property. If the damage exceeds a certain amount, it is a felony. Replacing a double pane picture window can easily exceed that amount.

Last edited:
If I knew who tossed a rock through my window, I would call the police and have him or her charged with vandalism, destruction of property. If the damage exceeds a certain amount it is a felony.
easier to deal with it yourself and leave the cops to,, what ever it is they do,,

besides luckily they didnt break a window,,

what I did had a longer lasting impact,,

For some maybe, not me.
most wild kids just need to be challenged a bit to straighten out stupid thinking,,

calling the cops can create resentment that last a lifetime,,

I recall the exact same thing happen to me for throwing snowballs and people not in the fight,,

most wild kids just need to be challenged a bit to straighten out stupid thinking,,

calling the cops can create resentment that last a lifetime,,

I recall the exact same thing happen to me for throwing snowballs and people not in the fight,,
Kids these days will never know the joy we had back in the day of bombing cars with snowballs during a winter storm.

You know, video games & all.

Inch of snow in my yard.
No mower required for a while, but better get that snowblower ready for the season.
Supposed to hit 47 here this week and after last years burial in snow, winter can take its sweet ass time getting here.

Forum List

Back