Latin

. . . interesting. That Firefox Pocket app recommended that article to me too. I didn't read it though. lol

. . . I shall skim upon your recommendation.

Rather than start a new thread ...

25 Words That Don’t Mean What They Used To​

It’s inevitable that words will change over time. In some instances, words gain new meanings entirely different from their original definition.

(1) It would be nice if advanced elementary and secondary students were offered a chance to study Latin.

(2) First, it would help them to guess at the meaning of some words in the huge English vocabulary.

(3) It would also help students to learn how to correctly pronounce the names of famous people in ancient history.

a. I am currently reading a book about the Roman emperors and their assistants and friends. I have to regularly stop and go to the Web in order to know how to pronounce their names correctly.

(4) As an 86-year-old, I realize the validity of tempus fugit.

Rather than start a new thread ...

25 Words That Don’t Mean What They Used To​

It’s inevitable that words will change over time. In some instances, words gain new meanings entirely different from their original definition.

To stultus es.

which do you understand?
I understand the translation of all of them. About 7 of the 10 I've known for a long time and have often used.

Latin is frequently used still in the sciences, and often in past scientific writings.
I had a loose familiarity back in the late 1950s early 1960s when I was an altar boy and the Catholic Church still used Latin in the mass.

In hoc signo vinces. On Pall Mall cigarette packs.
Part of the trademark for Pall Mall cigarettes. "PALL MALL IN HOC SIGNO VINCES 'WHEREVER PARTICULAR PEOPLE CONGREGATE'"[9][10]
ALSO
"In hoc signo vinces" (Classical Latin: [in ho̞ːk s̠íŋno̞ː wíŋke̞ːs̠], Ecclesiastical Latin: [in ok ˈsiɲo ˈvint͡ʃes]) is a Latin phrase conventionally translated into English as "In this sign thou shalt conquer", often also being translated as "By this sign, conquer".

The Latin phrase itself renders, rather loosely, the Greek phrase "ἐν τούτῳ νίκα", transliterated as "en toútōi níka" (Ancient Greek: [en túːtɔːi̯ níːkaː], Modern Greek: [en ˈduto ˈnika]), literally meaning "in this, conquer".

Forum List

Back