Last Vietnam-era Draftee Retiring from Army

SFC Ollie

Still Marching
Oct 21, 2009
Extreme East Ohio
July 04, 2011
Associated Press|by Kimbery Hefling

FORT BELVOIR, Va. - A homemade wind chime with the word "Whining" under a red slash is made from metal parts put in his leg after a parachute accident. Every Sunday he trims his crew cut. He didn't join the Army willingly, but as Command Sgt. Maj. Jeff Mellinger prepares to retire, he's grateful he found his calling.

Mellinger was drafted to fight in the Vietnam War, and the Army believes he's the last draftee to retire, after 39 years. Most did their two years and left. But Mellinger had found home.

My salute to a Job well done. :salute:

Yes, well done soldier.

Its always the jackasses ala the kids that took off to Canada or something that seem to get the notice.

Good for him.

:salute:

gotta be honest - i don't believe the story.

not that he isn't a draftee, just that he isn't the last.

i was just at the retirement ceremony for two draftees two weeks ago, and they mentioned that in their brigaide there was at least one more.

the brigaide commander also mentioned that the army times had run a story about the last one retiring some time before that, and these guys were still in.

I gotta believe there are a few more still out there.

Even if there is a few left, no one can take away his 39 year commitment to the USA.

You have to be approved at the DA level to serve over 30 years, and get another DA approval to serve over 35 years. Those approvals are not given lightly.

I think he may very well be the last draftee....

Even if there is a few left, no one can take away his 39 year commitment to the USA.

You have to be approved at the DA level to serve over 30 years, and get another DA approval to serve over 35 years. Those approvals are not given lightly.

I think he may very well be the last draftee....

probably the last to be serving in the active duty army.

the retirment ceremonies i was at were for guard members.

and i'm not trying to take away from anyone, i'm just betting there are more out there - at least in the guard.

First of all I salute this soldier who served for 39 years.

But I also have great respect for those people who fled to Canada to avoid the draft.

It took a lot of courage in order to follow their conscience and leave their family and country.

History has proven the draft dodgers to be on the right side of this issue.

First of all I salute this soldier who served for 39 years.

But I also have great respect for those people who fled to Canada to avoid the draft.

It took a lot of courage in order to follow their conscience and leave their family and country.

History has proven the draft dodgers to be on the right side of this issue.
:eusa_liar:
More proof that you lied about serving in Vietnam. You are so full of shit! I wouldn't doubt that you were too young to serve in that war!

Why do you make up such stories?

and i'm not trying to take away from anyone, i'm just betting there are more out there - at least in the guard.

The guard was a refuge for people who didn't want to go to Vietnam but were too cowardly to go to Canada.

btw George Bush was an example of this.

these two were drafted to active duty and served their time in the guard.

anyhow, i think it's overstating it to say that every branch and unit of the guard was a refuge for those avoiding active service.

The guard was a refuge for people who didn't want to go to Vietnam but were too cowardly to go to Canada.

btw George Bush was an example of this.

Not anymore, the National Guard and Reserve are all over Iraq and Afghanistan serving with their Active Duty counter parts.

For certain people, this thread was not supposed to be political. But haters will hate.

And to keep the record straight there were pilots from Bush's TANG unit that were sent to Nam. He wasn't hiding. And I know there isn't one person in here who has ever taken off and landed a jet fighter. And probably wouldn't have the guts to do it either.

Realistically - if you were born after 1950 - the chances of serving in Nam were non-existent.

I Have heard Americans who who born around 1953 that claimed to have served in Nam in combat - but I don't buy it.

One thing that really pizzes me off is the disrespect for the National Guard (and ROTC)- calling draft -dodgers who fled to Canada braver than those who served in the NG.

July 04, 2011
Associated Press|by Kimbery Hefling

FORT BELVOIR, Va. - A homemade wind chime with the word "Whining" under a red slash is made from metal parts put in his leg after a parachute accident. Every Sunday he trims his crew cut. He didn't join the Army willingly, but as Command Sgt. Maj. Jeff Mellinger prepares to retire, he's grateful he found his calling.

Mellinger was drafted to fight in the Vietnam War, and the Army believes he's the last draftee to retire, after 39 years. Most did their two years and left. But Mellinger had found home.

My salute to a Job well done. :salute:

I read about this guy yesterday. They did a story on him in the local paper. I did a little over 20 years in the service. I should have stayed in until they threw me out. Damned good life being in the military. I am sure he will be quite bored around the house after all those years in the service. What a fantastic career this guy had. I personally salute him!

Forum List

Back