Largest iceberg on record breaks off and heads out into the ocean.

This means penguin immigrants to South America. I wonder how fast it will float. If the penguins go fishing, will they be able to find "home" when they return, or will it have floated away?
It WILL be interesting to know how long it takes to melt.

This means penguin immigrants to South America. I wonder how fast it will float. If the penguins go fishing, will they be able to find "home" when they return, or will it have floated away?
We are already in South America. Who do you think taught them the Macarena?

It IS disconcerting that enough ice melted that such a huge piece of it broke loose.

It won't float far. I see it as a win-win situation. For one thing, CowboyTed has just given data in another thread that suggests that ice melt is slowing down and possibly coming to an end. But let's say that it continues and all the sea ice melts! I estimate that the sea will rise by 230 feet. Lots of warning to indigenous people in places like Indonesia and the Philippians, etc., to GET OUT NOW. Who will remain? Where do all the wealthy socialites, rich elite liberals and Hollywood types all live? ALONG THE COAST. Seattle, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City. Remind me why this is a bad thing?

It IS disconcerting that enough ice melted that such a huge piece of it broke loose.
That didn't take long at all.

17 years ago a piece TWICE that size broke off. Things are improving. Things are getting smaller. Just ask Cowboy Ted.

rising-oceans-jpg.131423

Can't put it back in the bottle now, though. The people with brains and a sense of responsibility are doing what they can to slow things down. The sea lanes opening in the Arctic are also interesting. They will be a bustling place in a few more decades. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to navigate from the Atlantic to the Pacific in North America? So many looked and tried so hard to do that. They just needed for the ice to melt.
I think--that's right, isn't it?

Can't put it back in the bottle now, though. The people with brains and a sense of responsibility are doing what they can to slow things down. The sea lanes opening in the Arctic are also interesting. They will be a bustling place in a few more decades. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to navigate from the Atlantic to the Pacific in North America? So many looked and tried so hard to do that. They just needed for the ice to melt.
I think--that's right, isn't it?

Ever since I heard New York City and Washington DC will be under water, I've done my part by eating a can of baked beans every day and ran out and bought the biggest SUV I could find.

That's not what happens when ice bergs calve. They calve when they get too big.

That didn't take long at all.
??? What? It took however many thousands of years since the Larsen Ice Shelf's formation for that chunk to break free.

Last edited:

17 years ago a piece TWICE that size broke off. Things are improving. Things are getting smaller. Just ask Cowboy Ted.

Well thank you for informing us of that. Now it's clear we can't trust the OP-er to even accurately relate simple facts such as whether a calved iceberg is indeed the "largest iceberg on record." There are a few possible reasons why that is, and I'm in no position to say which of them catalyzed this instance of the OP-er's inaccuracy.

TY for reminding me that I should have known better than to trust the writings of someone whom I otherwise would have ignored.

Forum List

Back