LaHood: We’re looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Wow, they just won't quit, will they. The older I get the less I recognize this nation. More justification of a police state to keep us "safe." Are the American people going to stand back and let this happen?

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said using a cell phone while driving is so dangerous that devices may soon be installed in cars to forcibly stop drivers — and potentially anyone else in the vehicle — from using them.

“There’s a lot of technology out there now that can disable phones and we’re looking at that,” said LaHood on MSNBC. LaHood said the cellphone scramblers were one way, and also stressed the importance of “personal responsibility.”

The hosts of Morning Joe pushed the secretary about the possibility of requiring scrambling technology installed in vehicles.

“I think it will be done,” said LaHood. “I think the technology is there and I think you’re going to see the technology become adaptable in automobiles to disable these cell phones. We need to do a lot more if were going to save lives.”

Secretary of Transportation LaHood: We’re looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

using a cell phone while driving is reckless endangerment.

Would you rather it be treated exactly like a DUI?

I would rather cops pull people over for reckless driving if their cell phone conversation is causing them to drive recklessly. Boy, what an idea.

Tell me something, genius. If they disable cell phone use in everyone's vehicle and you go sliding off the road night, smash into a tree, and are trapped in your car, how are you going to call anyone for help?

This administation is PURE EVIL.

first TSA
next the internet
going after Fox news
now this.

where are the SCREAM from the lefties and the ACLU about all this.?

I would rather cops pull people over for reckless driving if their cell phone conversation is causing them to drive recklessly. Boy, what an idea.

Tell me something, genius. If they disable cell phone use in everyone's vehicle and you go sliding off the road night, smash into a tree, and are trapped in your car, how are you going to call anyone for help?

use your onboard onstar. toss a distress beacon from your car. honk your horn.

What did people do before they had cell phones? Do you think that the cell phone is a right now?

I think it would be great if all public spaces disabled them! Restaurants, theaters, buses, airplanes etc.

How many people have Onstar? I shouldn't need to have Onstar. I'm already paying for a cell phone. Who is going to hear you honking your horn flying passed at 60 miles per hour?

What did people do before they had cell phones?

They sat there and waited for someone to find them, hopefully not after having suffered for too long and not before they died.

Do you think that the cell phone is a right now?

Yeah, I do think it's my right you fascist mother fucker. This is America. Perhaps you'll fit in better in North Korea.

I think it would be great if all public spaces disabled them! Restaurants, theaters, buses, airplanes etc.

Oh so you think going to a restaurant, theater, bus, or airplane is a right now?

I hate to say this, but there are times I wish this technology was in cars and trucks. As a professional driver I've seen and experienced first hand the horrors cell phones cause on the road. I don't know WHY it's different, but it is. I've talked on the cell while driving on a few occasions, but I know many people who just won't put their cellphone DOWN to drive! Talking to them seems to be the primary focus, not moving along at 6.5 miles per hour with a 2500 lbs vehicle with hundreds of others close by. They have enough trouble walking and talking on it and now to add this to the mix? Driving suddenly is in second place behind the conversation I've been nearly run off the road by idiots who never even noticed my vehicle (both private and in a 40 foot yellow truck!) or that they almost died were it not for me being a professional.

The worst though are the texters. I can forgive talking when I look at the jackholes that TEXT while driving! Even eating I prefer over texting, or changing the stations, or fishing something out of the back seat. Texting is the worst. You may as well be passing out drunk rather than texting. You're actually safer or at least more predictable.

So yes, I've gotta say, the feds can't do this, but I think I'd look at supporting a state doing this for those busted driving under the influence of cellphones as an alternative to fines. I don't think I'd want it done, but since people are refusing to do the right thing here, and endangering lives consistently, it may have to be done as a requirement of safe driving or find a commercial alternative that isn't so intrusive into the ability to drive.

I cannot recall the last time someone almost ran me off the road while eating in the car, nor changing the radio stations, nor reaching in the back seat. But cell phones? Many times a month.

Last edited:
Wow, they just won't quit, will they. The older I get the less I recognize this nation. More justification of a police state to keep us "safe." Are the American people going to stand back and let this happen?

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said using a cell phone while driving is so dangerous that devices may soon be installed in cars to forcibly stop drivers — and potentially anyone else in the vehicle — from using them.

“There’s a lot of technology out there now that can disable phones and we’re looking at that,” said LaHood on MSNBC. LaHood said the cellphone scramblers were one way, and also stressed the importance of “personal responsibility.”

The hosts of Morning Joe pushed the secretary about the possibility of requiring scrambling technology installed in vehicles.

“I think it will be done,” said LaHood. “I think the technology is there and I think you’re going to see the technology become adaptable in automobiles to disable these cell phones. We need to do a lot more if were going to save lives.”

Secretary of Transportation LaHood: We’re looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

What a wonderful idea. The first time someone gets in an acciident and cannot call for help they can sue the government for disabling their cell phone.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Reckless endangerment? Did you know that the accident rate is going down even though the rate of cell phone use is going up? How does that square with your assertion?

What did people do before they had cell phones? Do you think that the cell phone is a right now?

Onstar would be illegal because it is ias much a distraction as your cell phone. Some people actually use it to make phone calls! The flares are in the trunk, and you are trapped by the steering wheel. The horn works, but it is the middle of nowhere, and no one can hear it.

Additionally, federal law prohibits technology that would disable cell phones in theaters, restaurants, and other public places, or even your house. I might be confused, but that probably includes cars, especially since it would also disable the phone of people who are not in the car.

My idiot child drove through a red light into an intersection and was t-boned because she was texting. As far as I am concerned, this is a fabulous idea and I'm hard pressed to think of any situation that you need a cell but cannot shut off the engine.

Traffic deaths at lowest in 60 years
Last year there were fewer deaths by auto in the US than in the last 60 years. No lower total since 1950 where there were 80% fewer vehicles on the road. This in spite of an increase of 1% in total vehicle miles driven.
Ironically as exasperating distracted (by cell phone use) as most of us are, cell use had no appreciable effect on vehicle deaths.
I am a proponent of laws restricting cell phone use to hands free only. An all out ban on cell use in vehicles is impractical and unenforceable.
There are so many distractions in American vehicles. Stereos with large viewing panels that drivers should not be looking at while driving. Video players in back seats to keep children entertained can be distracting to the driver in many instances.
Look, what makes this country great is freedom of choice. This obsession some in government have with saving us from ourselves at all costs can potentially change the USA into a nanny police state. Who the hell wants that?!!!!
IMO the best way to combat stupidity is to punish stupidity.
In other words add special circumstances in vehicle crash charges. For example if an at fault driver in a vehicle crash is found to have been distracted and that distraction can be used as a determining factor, the State should have the power to place additional sanctions on that driver.
We must resist namby pamby statism.

What a wonderful idea. The first time someone gets in an acciident and cannot call for help they can sue the government for disabling their cell phone.
set it to disable with the deployment of airbags or whenever sensors detect an impact. Or, have it disable only when the car is in "Park". that'd be better.

Cell phone distraction causes 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries in the United States every year, according to the journal's publisher, the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.

Drivers on Cell Phones Kill Thousands, Snarl Traffic | LiveScience

and this was in 2005. We now have more cell phones and texting has increased greatly since then.

So close to half as many die in cell phone related deaths as have US troops been killed in the Iraq war?
Or in 9-11? And about as many injuries as US troops in the Iraq war?
And that is just for one year?

For those of you who think this is a universally bad thing, ask yourself this:

Do you want school bus drivers texting or chatting on their cell phone while taking your kid to school? Remember, they weigh 13000 lbs, do not stop quick and can carry up to 80 small children... one of whom could be yours.

Now... if it's a good idea for them, why is it not a good idea for you too?

(But I still insist this is not a federal issue, but a state one.)

Forum List

Back