LaHood: We’re looking into technology to disable cell phones in vehicles

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dont Taz Me Bro, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,473
    Wow, they just won't quit, will they. The older I get the less I recognize this nation. More justification of a police state to keep us "safe." Are the American people going to stand back and let this happen?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    using a cell phone while driving is reckless endangerment.

Would you rather it be treated exactly like a DUI?

3. Dont Taz Me Bro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,473
    I would rather cops pull people over for reckless driving if their cell phone conversation is causing them to drive recklessly. Boy, what an idea.

Tell me something, genius. If they disable cell phone use in everyone's vehicle and you go sliding off the road night, smash into a tree, and are trapped in your car, how are you going to call anyone for help?

4. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    This administation is PURE EVIL.

first TSA
    next the internet
    going after Fox news
    now this.

where are the SCREAM from the lefties and the ACLU about all this.?

5. loosecannon

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    use your onboard onstar. toss a distress beacon from your car. honk your horn.

What did people do before they had cell phones? Do you think that the cell phone is a right now?

I think it would be great if all public spaces disabled them! Restaurants, theaters, buses, airplanes etc.

6. loosecannon

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    That was sarcasm right? PLease tell me that was sarcasm.

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,473
    How many people have Onstar? I shouldn't need to have Onstar. I'm already paying for a cell phone. Who is going to hear you honking your horn flying passed at 60 miles per hour?

They sat there and waited for someone to find them, hopefully not after having suffered for too long and not before they died.

Yeah, I do think it's my right you fascist mother fucker. This is America. Perhaps you'll fit in better in North Korea.

Oh so you think going to a restaurant, theater, bus, or airplane is a right now?

8. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    My favorite saying..

Scratch a Liberal, find a Fascist.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    I hate to say this, but there are times I wish this technology was in cars and trucks. As a professional driver I've seen and experienced first hand the horrors cell phones cause on the road. I don't know WHY it's different, but it is. I've talked on the cell while driving on a few occasions, but I know many people who just won't put their cellphone DOWN to drive! Talking to them seems to be the primary focus, not moving along at 6.5 miles per hour with a 2500 lbs vehicle with hundreds of others close by. They have enough trouble walking and talking on it and now to add this to the mix? Driving suddenly is in second place behind the conversation I've been nearly run off the road by idiots who never even noticed my vehicle (both private and in a 40 foot yellow truck!) or that they almost died were it not for me being a professional.

The worst though are the texters. I can forgive talking when I look at the jackholes that TEXT while driving! Even eating I prefer over texting, or changing the stations, or fishing something out of the back seat. Texting is the worst. You may as well be passing out drunk rather than texting. You're actually safer or at least more predictable.

So yes, I've gotta say, the feds can't do this, but I think I'd look at supporting a state doing this for those busted driving under the influence of cellphones as an alternative to fines. I don't think I'd want it done, but since people are refusing to do the right thing here, and endangering lives consistently, it may have to be done as a requirement of safe driving or find a commercial alternative that isn't so intrusive into the ability to drive.

I cannot recall the last time someone almost ran me off the road while eating in the car, nor changing the radio stations, nor reaching in the back seat. But cell phones? Many times a month.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  10. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    What a wonderful idea. The first time someone gets in an acciident and cannot call for help they can sue the government for disabling their cell phone.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1