Labor department wants to end farming

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
They want to outlaw kids working on farms now. I really don't get how they think the world works. Do they think food grows in neat little packages?

The U.S. Department of Labor is proposing revisions to child labor regulations that will strengthen the safety requirements for young workers employed in agriculture and related fields. The agricultural hazardous occupations orders under the Fair Labor Standards Act that bar young workers from certain tasks have not been updated since they were promulgated in 1970. The department is proposing updates based on the enforcement experiences of its Wage and Hour Division, recommendations made by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, and a commitment to bring parity between the rules for young workers employed in agricultural jobs and the more stringent rules that apply to those employed in nonagricultural workplaces. The proposed regulations would not apply to children working on farms owned by their parents.
"Children employed in agriculture are some of the most vulnerable workers in America," said Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis. "Ensuring their welfare is a priority of the department, and this proposal is another element of our comprehensive approach."
The proposal would strengthen current child labor regulations prohibiting agricultural work with animals and in pesticide handling, timber operations, manure pits and storage bins. It would prohibit farmworkers under age 16 from participating in the cultivation, harvesting and curing of tobacco. And it would prohibit youth in both agricultural and nonagricultural employment from using electronic, including communication, devices while operating power-driven equipment.

WHD News Release: US Labor Department proposes updates to child labor regulations [08/31/2011]

I don't see anything about "outlawing kids working on farms" in there.

I see changing of the regulations about what jobs they're allowed to do - which I see no problem with, since those laws hadn't been updated since 1970.

At least you're not claiming that they're stopping kids from doing their chores, like some of the other threads on this did.

No, it's only claiming that the Labor Dept wants to end farming :cuckoo:

I see changing of the regulations about what jobs they're allowed to do - which I see no problem with, since those laws hadn't been updated since 1970.

At least you're not claiming that they're stopping kids from doing their chores, like some of the other threads on this did.

Ok, what needed changing? Did we really have a bunch of farm kids dying?

Which of the changes that were made do you disagree with?

You don't see a problem with kids not working with livestock, which would eliminate the FFA and 4H, and make it a lot harder for farm kids to afford college? You don't see a problem with kids not being allowed to work at grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges or livestock auctions?

Why don;t you go talk to some farmers instead of just assuming you know what is best for everyone?

You don't see a problem with kids not working with livestock, which would eliminate the FFA and 4H, and make it a lot harder for farm kids to afford college? You don't see a problem with kids not being allowed to work at grain elevators, grain bins, silos, feed lots, stockyards, livestock exchanges or livestock auctions?

Why don;t you go talk to some farmers instead of just assuming you know what is best for everyone?

It doesn't apply to FFA or 4H because it only applies to employment. Neither FFA or 4H "employ" children.

And no, I don't a problem restricting kids under 16 from being employed in dangerous jobs on farms.

I dont care if kids under 16 run powered equipment. Farm kids have done that forever, now the nanny state tells them what they can do. I'll trust the parents care more about their kids safety than the governemt. In other words it's not about safety, it's a power grab, kinda like how liberals want to call child services on people who spank their kids. None of your business.

Once again, big brother thinks they own us. They think its their right to tell families how to operate. A bunch of fat ass privileged moochers telling hard workers to not teach their kids responsibility in the hopes that they'll hire illegal aliens who will then vote for them. F'ing pathetic.

I dont care if kids under 16 run powered equipment. Farm kids have done that forever, now the nanny state tells them what they can do. I'll trust the parents care more about their kids safety than the governemt. In other words it's not about safety, it's a power grab, kinda like how liberals want to call child services on people who spank their kids. None of your business.

As the law clearly states, none of this applies to people working on their parent's farm. So your claims about parent's "caring more about their kids than the government" is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

As the law clearly states, none of this applies to people working on their parent's farm. So your claims about parent's "caring more about their kids than the government" is entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

yeah you're right the government never takes power over people and is all about safety (Horseshit!). Ok now that I answered your question in my last post. What was the problem that this needed changing? Were farmers kidnapping kids to work?

That's a devious proposition. In this day and age, few farms are sole-proprietorships. for tax reasons, they are all incorporated, even the so-called "family owned farms." So, are those farms covered by the new regulations or not? I think you'll find they are.

That's a devious proposition. In this day and age, few farms are sole-proprietorships. for tax reasons, they are all incorporated, even the so-called "family owned farms." So, are those farms covered by the new regulations or not? I think you'll find they are.

What do you base that "thought" on?

Yes, actually a lot of kids working farms do die or are horribly mutilated by very unforgiving machinery. A kid can't cut a pizza at the local pizza shop or work the oven until he/she is 18 for safety reasons. Letting kids under 18 work on farms close to certain machinery is not a smart idea. Kids do stupid shit all the time, without thinking. It's not that they are dumb, but they are scatter brained. They don't always think about the possible consequences.

funny the right has no problem with amf or Monsanto which are real threats to the farm supply

this is simply the new issue of distraction the little righties are floating out there to scare people...

funny the right has no problem with amf or Monsanto which are real threats to the farm supply

this is simply the new issue of distraction the little righties are floating out there to scare people...

due tell, what are these things that are hurting family farms?

It doesn't apply to FFA or 4H because it only applies to employment. Neither FFA or 4H "employ" children.

And no, I don't a problem restricting kids under 16 from being employed in dangerous jobs on farms.

Are you aware that many kids make money off of FFA and 4-H projects? If making money is not cause for the government to consider something employment, what is?

By the way, the revisions in 1970, which didn't apply to chores, ended up being applied to chores, it is now illegal for children to shear sheep unless their parents own the farm directly, not through a corporation. If you thought those revisions were good, you should understand that these revisions will work the same way. Since FFA and 4-H are both corporations, it would apply to them, unless a parent was on site for all activities, just like the 1970 revisions do.

Are you aware that those so called dangerous jobs result in no more fatalities than other activities that are considered perfectly safe? about 11 in 100,000 people under 20 die in farm related accidents every year, which is statistically equal to the rate for non farm deaths in the same age group.

Sounds really dangerous to me.

It does not clearly sate any such thing. There is an exception for a small farm that is run by the parents and is unincorporated, but 95% of all farms are incorporated in order to avoid the death tax the government collects if you don't. Thanks for proving you are on the side of big government, and that you are willing to use lies to support it, just like all big government people do. Tell me something, if big government is so wonderful, why do you have to lie?

Forum List

Back