LA renames Columbus Day

Indigenous Peoples Day to Replace Columbus Day After Los Angeles City Council Vote

The Los Angeles City Council voted Wednesday to eliminate Columbus Day from the city calendar, siding with activists who viewed the explorer as a symbol of genocide for native peoples.

Supporters of Indigenous Peoples Day gather at L.A. City Hall on Aug. 30, 2017. (Credit: KTLA)

Over the objections of Italian American civic groups, the council made the second Monday in October a day in L.A. to commemorate “indigenous, aboriginal and native people.” The day will remain a paid holiday for city employees.

This, I agree with. Now the rest of the states need to follow suit.

Your thoughts?

I suspect the City's employees don't really give a fuck what it's called as long as they get the day off.

I'll support it being called whatever the fuck they call it when all those indigenous people start living exactly like their ancestors did prior to 1492.

Indigenous Peoples Day to Replace Columbus Day After Los Angeles City Council Vote

The Los Angeles City Council voted Wednesday to eliminate Columbus Day from the city calendar, siding with activists who viewed the explorer as a symbol of genocide for native peoples.

Supporters of Indigenous Peoples Day gather at L.A. City Hall on Aug. 30, 2017. (Credit: KTLA)

Over the objections of Italian American civic groups, the council made the second Monday in October a day in L.A. to commemorate “indigenous, aboriginal and native people.” The day will remain a paid holiday for city employees.

Your thoughts?
They just did this in Bangor. It's a horrible name, I feel. It's also a horrible date to celebrate Native Americans. Let the Native Americans decide on a date and positive things to commemorate. I'm 100% behind them. Leave European Stumbles Across New Continent Day alone. Give Native Americans their own day based on their own achievements. And for heaven's sake CALL IT SOMETHING OTHER THAN INDIGENOUS PEOPLE'S DAY!!! What a boner of a name.
Only college professors and Australians talk like that.

They just did this in Bangor. It's a horrible name, I feel. It's also a horrible date to celebrate Native Americans. Let the Native Americans decide on a date and positive things to commemorate. I'm 100% behind them. Leave European Stumbles Across New Continent Day alone. Give Native Americans their own day based on their own achievements. And for heaven's sake CALL IT SOMETHING OTHER THAN INDIGENOUS PEOPLE'S DAY!!! What a boner of a name.
Only college professors and Australians talk like that.

I know, instead of using the date that white people first came to the Americas, let's use the date that the Amerindians first came to the Americas.

Do you know what date that was?

Or maybe we could use the date of the most common holiday of the Amerindian culture.

Native American religion - Wikipedia

OOPS! My bad there are none!

Lol, no, I found some here: Cherokee Festivals

The first festival was the First New Moon of Spring. This festival was held in March. The seven Principal Counselors determined when the moons would appear and a messenger would announce the upcoming festival to all the Cherokee people. There were designated hunters to get the game for the feast, the dressing of a deer and the preparation of white deer skins, seven men were put in charge of the festival and seven men for food preparation.

The first evening was when the selected women performed the friendship dance. The second day, all went to the water for ritual purification. The third day, the people fasted. The fourth day everyone participated in friendship dances and ended the ceremony.

Afterwards the Seven Counselors scheduled the sacred night dance. They would have a religious dance, a new sacred fire was built and all old fires in the Cherokee homes were put out. They also had a scratching ceremony and medicine taking prepared by the Medicine Men. At the end, white deer skins were presented to the Festival Priests.

The Green Corn Ceremony was traditionally celebrated during late June or early July for about four days. The dates scheduled for the celebration depended upon the time the first corn ripened. The ceremony was held in the middle of the ceremonial grounds. Included in the rituals were the stomp dance, feather dance and buffalo dances.

At certain points of the ceremonies the people fasted, played stickball, had corn sacrificing and took medicine. Then after the ceremonial fasting they would feast. Another ritual observed was rinsing themselves in water and having prayer.

It is believed when you recieve a cleansing it washes away impurities or bad deeds and starts a new life. The cleansing ceremony was performed by a priest which was followed with fasting and praying and other sacred practices.

The third Cherokee festival was called the Mature Green Corn Ceremony which was held about 45 days after the New Green Corn Ceremony. Before the festival, honorable women performed a religious dance and decided when the festival would be held. Hunters were sent out to bring back game and there was a committee appointed for the festival.

An arch was built with green branches, making an arbor in the ceremonial grounds. The evening before the Green Corn Ceremony, all the clans took a branch that they used the next day during a noon ritual. Participants drank a special tea called a "Black Drink" which was used for cleansing and purifying. The people would have a dance for days while feasting on game and corn. The ceremony lasted for four days.

The Great New Moon Festival was held around October. This marked the beginning of the Cherokee New Year. It was believed that the world was created in the season of Autumn.

The main counselors determined when the new moon would appear. Again as previous festivals, hunters were sent out to catch game seven nights before the festival. Seven men were selected to take charge of all the planning and seven honorable women were chosen to prepare the food. When the Cherokee people gathered for the feast, each family gave food to the priest. Types of food were corn, pumpkin, beans among others. The evening before the main gathering, the women performed a religious dance. Again during the ceremonial part they went to the river for purifying, giving offerings to the sacred fire and praying.

The fifth festival was held about ten days after the Great New Moon Festival. It was called the Propitiation and Cementation Festival or Friends Made Ceremony. The purpose of this festival was to renew friendships, make new friends and for cleansing.

Participants were assigned tasks such as helping with the preparation of the various ceremonies, song leaders, musicians, the cleansing of the council house area, hunting game and cooking.

A new sacred Fire was built by the Fire Keeper and his assistants. The Fire keeper his assistants fasted for seven days before the festival. There was a dance the night before the festival.

Others fasted during special designated days. This festival renewed the Fire, and the people. It also brought friendship by ceremonially forgiving conflicts from the previous year. This was seen as a brand new start. There was also a cleansing ritual that was performed at the river in running water. This festival would last four days.

The sixth festival was held during the winter. Tobacco was gathered from the people who participated in the feast. The people used pine or spruce in a dance. The first dance movement was a march by alternating pairs of males and females. During the dance, women wore their turtle shells, formed a circle with the men in a single file and moved counter-clockwise in a circle. Each dancer took two twigs of the spruce and waved them up and down like pigeon wings. The fourth night, they made offerings to the sacred fire.​

Why not use some or all of these dates to celebrate Amerindian culture, Nature's rebirth and the close of the outdoors labor part of the year, etc?

Why not use dates significant to them in their culture instead of white mans culture?

Your thoughts?
So how do we celebrate?
I say if those that it's designed to represent start living exactly like their ancestors did prior to 1492, they can call it what they want and do whatever they want.
And where did your ancestors live prior to 1492? A grass hut in the highlands? Maybe hoing taters as serfs?

Columbus discovered the world was round while he mapped it.

That's more than all the "Indians" have ever done.

OH, and he named the Indians too

Why should we honor injuns. ? Until the white man came no north american indian tribe even had a written language!! Just savages going nowhere. And now they're a bunch of obese, drunk, welfare bums. At least blacks are good at sports but injuns is just injuns.

Your thoughts?
So how do we celebrate?
I say if those that it's designed to represent start living exactly like their ancestors did prior to 1492, they can call it what they want and do whatever they want.
And where did your ancestors live prior to 1492? A grass hut in the highlands? Maybe hoing taters as serfs?

I'm not the one doing the complaining about Columbus Day.

Without Columbus there would not be any LA.

Looks like patients are running asylum in LA.

If this post is representative of your understanding of history, then I suggest you either abandon any and all discussion that even remotely touches on historical facts or read a book or two an attempt to learn something about history.

The greatest achievement of the indian, is just being a indian

This holiday is being changed out of pity

Your thoughts?
The Mafia is gonna be pissed about this...

Your thoughts?
it's california. who cares. :)

Forum List

Back