La Paz, Mexico Soon To Be 100% Solar Powered

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
La Paz, Mexico Soon To Be 100% Solar Powered

The city of La Paz, Mexico, is soon going to be powered 100% by solar energy… really. It already has a 39 megawatt solar power in place, Aura Solar I. And at the moment Grupotec is building another solar power plant that will also include battery storage.

Construction on the new solar power plant, Grupotec I, began this month. It will include 97,000 solar panels on 44 acres, with an investment of $80 million. It will have 30 megawatts of power capacity, and the battery storage facility will have 11 megawatts.

Shows that it is possible to go 100% solar! Not a small little town as it has 215,000 people. La Paz Baja California Sur - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Excellent! Are you moving there, to report on how this solar stuff works 24/7, as opposed to just pimping whatever the news from those out DOING are up to, as opposed to the TALKING you do about the woulda-shoulda-coulda's?

Or put up a 1 GW coal fired plant as backup. That wouldn't make much sense though in terms of instant on...maybe some nice natural gas fired generation, they could spool that up in 10 minutes...assuming they have the natural gas of course. As plentiful as it is in the world, some Third World Countries don't do planning these things well.

Or, better yet, invest in the grid scale batteries that will be available before 2016.

Alevo Unstealthed A New Gigawatt-Scale Grid Battery Contender Greentech Media

On Monday, the North Carolina-based, European-backed company announced plans to invest $1 billion in turning an old Philip Morris cigarette factory into a battery factory eventually capable of churning out "several gigawatts" per year, CEO Jostein Eikeland told me in an interview. Utility customers in North America are soon to be announced, and the company has already booked about 200 megawatts of orders, enough to fill the factory’s planned production next year, he said.

Alevo says its lithium-iron-phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries are the first to use an inorganic electrolyte based on sulfur, which prevents the chemical reactions that lead to heating, expansion and eventual failure for lithium-ion batteries. Test cells have lasted more than 40,000 cycles in “hammer tests” that completely discharge and then overcharge them over and over again, without significant degradation of performance, he said.

Excellent! Are you moving there, to report on how this solar stuff works 24/7, as opposed to just pimping whatever the news from those out DOING are up to, as opposed to the TALKING you do about the woulda-shoulda-coulda's?
Agreed. I keep asking him when he is going to stop telling everyone else what they should be doing and show us pictures of his electric car and home solar set up. But he abandons the thread and never answers.

Well, when you are losing the debate, change the subject. The subject is not Mathew's possessions, but the fact that utility grade solar is now in direct economic competition with dirty coal. And will soon be far cheaper even in the northern climates. Wind is already far cheaper than dirty coal, and, with the emplacement of grid scale batteries, is 24/7.

Well, when you are losing the debate, change the subject. The subject is not Mathew's possessions, but the fact that utility grade solar is now in direct economic competition with dirty coal. And will soon be far cheaper even in the northern climates. Wind is already far cheaper than dirty coal, and, with the emplacement of grid scale batteries, is 24/7.
Liar, Old Crock is a Crock of Shit, literally, where is your proof, Ivanpah?

We are now seeing our price for Gas drop, but as idiots like Old Crock make outrageous claims about the price of Solar, the fact of the matter is, here in California the price of electricity has been going up, drastically.

Solar in California is raising the cost of Electricity to my home, on my bill, while at the same time the price of gas is going down.

Our electrical bills go up but Old Crock tells us they will get cheaper? Old Crock is a liar.

Further, all Solar installed today is literally Obsolete! We are told this by Old Crock and Matthpooh every day. After all we are on the cusp of great advancements in the government funded research, as dictated by Old Crock and Matthpooh.

All the Expensive Solar installed today will remain expensive, will raise the rates we pay for food and water, forever, after all its renewable, everything installed today will provide us with extremely expensive electricity, forever.

All while we can see what just a little bit of freedom does to the price of Oil.

Just imagine what we could do if we were not running our energy policy backwards, copying the THIRD WORLD.

Its proposed that we do just like Mexico?

Yes, this thread states we should follow the example of Mexico? Mexico the Great Success Story of the 20th Century.

Oh my, Elektra has just gone on another silly rant. She does this every time she cannot answer in a reasonable fashion. Low price for wind right now, unsubsudized, is 3.7 cents a kilowatt. Low price for dirty coal, still getting a depletion allowance, is 6.6 cents a kilowatt.

And we are talking of one city in Mexico, not the whole of Mexico. But for an old biddy like you, you would not know where La Paz is in any case.

La Paz, Mexico.

American Politicians Dictate American Taxes Must Pay for Energy in La Paz, Mexico. Mexicans now get free power from the USA.

Look into it, find the companies, find what they buy and where, find who finances, and you find that the USA is going in debt to give free Solar to the Third World.

Everything is free! Unless you have a private sector job, then you get to be a Slave for those who are made poor by the government.

That is not how it works, Mrs Elektra. You stated something as a fact. You are an anamous poster on the internet, your claim of fact has no more credibility than my claim of fact. Therefore, if you wish it to have any credibility, link to a credible source. Otherwise, we just assume another baseless statement of bullshit.

Forum List

Back