Kurt Zeller says voting is a privledge

A republic is a type of democracy under the definitions of the words in the dictionary and has been that way for many many years.

How I wish you people would stop trying to rewrite history

Only liberals worship mob rule. You have no "right" to vote on the disposal of another man's income, property and freedoms.

Then move out of this country because its in the constitution.

No it isn't.

Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Zellers: Voting is 'privilege, not right' | StarTribune.com

This is how the right sees the most sacred right in a democracy

House Speaker Kurt Zellers said he believes voting is a privilege rather than a right during an appearance on 95.9 FM's "Late Debate" radio show Wednesday night.

The Maple Grove Republican made the comment after 11 p.m. while discussing legislation that would require voters to show photo identification at the polls on Election Day.

"When you go to even a Burger King or a McDonalds and use your debit card, they'll ask you to see your ID [to be] sure its you," Zellers said. "Should we have to do that when we vote, something that is one of the most sacred -- I think it's a privilege, it's not a right. Everybody doesn't get it because if you go to jail or if you commit some heinous crime your rights are taken away. This is a privilege."

Truthmatters? I find it ironic that this is your handle. From your postings I get the impression that you'll avoid truth at all costs.

I agree with Zeller. Voting is a privilege
. If you commit crimes, or are an illegal alien, etc, this privilege isn't available to you. That is the law. Liberals don't agree with this. The reason is that a large segment of the liberal party's voting base comes from the criminal, illegal alien community. That is the fact. :up:

Why does the right do this?

House Speaker Kurt Zellers said he believes voting is a privilege rather than a right during an appearance on 95.9 FM's "Late Debate" radio show Wednesday night.

The Maple Grove Republican made the comment after 11 p.m. while discussing legislation that would require voters to show photo identification at the polls on Election Day.

"When you go to even a Burger King or a McDonalds and use your debit card, they'll ask you to see your ID [to be] sure its you," Zellers said. "Should we have to do that when we vote, something that is one of the most sacred -- I think it's a privilege, it's not a right. Everybody doesn't get it because if you go to jail or if you commit some heinous crime your rights are taken away. This is a privilege."

Truthmatters? I find it ironic that this is your handle. From your postings I get the impression that you'll avoid truth at all costs.

I agree with Zeller. Voting is a privilege
. If you commit crimes, or are an illegal alien, etc, this privilege isn't available to you. That is the law. Liberals don't agree with this. The reason is that a large segment of the liberal party's voting base comes from the criminal, illegal alien community. That is the fact. :up:

Why does the right do this?

Do what? Yota5 made a statement of belief. It is what he believes. You make those kind of statements all the time.

What the hell gives you the right to criticize him for his beliefs?

Oh, I forgot, you think you know-it-all. You also seem to think you are the only one entitled to have an opinion.

Immie

I agree with Zeller. Voting is a privilege. If you commit crimes, or are an illegal alien, etc, this privilege isn't available to you. That is the law. Liberals don't agree with this. The reason is that a large segment of the liberal party's voting base comes from the criminal, illegal alien community. That is the fact. :up:

Then you'd also have to say that gun ownership is a privilege and not a right. They're both guaranteed by the Constitution, so they're both either privileges or rights.

Komrad, you haven't changed. You're still an idiot. The second amendment is a right. However, the rule of law states that if you are a criminal, or have anger issues you can't own a weapon.

"he Second Amendment (Amendment II) to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights.

In 2008 and 2010, the Supreme Court issued two Second Amendment decisions. In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia[1][2] and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Additionally, the Court enumerated several longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession that it found were consistent with the Second Amendment.[3] In McDonald v. Chicago (2010), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment limits State and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government.[4]"

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never said it wasn't a right. You haven't changed much, either. I can still get a knee-jerk reaction from you anytime I want. :lol: You're so focused on the gun thing you completely missed the point that it makes your previous post untrue!!! Voting IS a right, not a privilege.

Only liberals worship mob rule. You have no "right" to vote on the disposal of another man's income, property and freedoms.

What do you mean? We do it all the time. I guess you were right to put it in quotes, because you must be talking about some fantasy "right"!!! Where do you think rights come from in the first place? Without government are no such things as rights. If I'm stronger than you, the only "right" you have is to keep your mouth shut until I'm done eating YOUR kill, then if there's anything left, you can have the scraps, but you BETTER thank me.

If I'm stronger than you, the only "right" you have is to keep your mouth shut until I'm done eating YOUR kill, then if there's anything left, you can have the scraps, but you BETTER thank me.

Haha ... sounds like the direction the government is headed to me.

If I'm stronger than you, the only "right" you have is to keep your mouth shut until I'm done eating YOUR kill, then if there's anything left, you can have the scraps, but you BETTER thank me.

Haha ... sounds like the direction the government is headed to me.

Well, you can thank the government, the USSC and the Constitution that it doesn't go all the way there. Regardless of how far we are down that path, it would get much worse with a libertarian government or no government at all.

Voting is a right.

it is NOT a privledge.

Without protecting the right to vote you have no democracy.

Its really hard to believe there are Americans who claim voting is not a right.

Those who vote have a right to not have their votes disenfranchised by fraudulent votes cast by people who cannot show valid ID.

Every study done on this type of ID laws shows that there is NO fraud of this type in any numbers to change any election even a local one.

The IDs will keep legal voters from voting and protect nothing.

Tell us do you think voting is a privledge?

earlytimes175okbXMVx-k6x6d.jpg

Have another one, because there is no way in hell you are sober right now.

How cute , they are clucking again.

Your insults really do have so much impact on the set of facts poresented in this thread.

That picutre of a liquor bottle completely changes what this high elected republican says about voting not being a right.

A story that is completely backed by verifiable proof belongs in the romper room?

Its a perfect example of your level of fairness

He said it and you attack me as if there is something wrong with talking about it?

Oh look, Septic Tank is trying to think again. Isn't that cute?

One person's opinion is NOT the view of any movement or party. If you were even of average intellect, you would know that.

Well...unless someone on the left, no matter how arcane, says something. Then, apparently, no matter who the person is, even if they just show up at a rally, it is somehow reflective on the "left"

Ah well

Now note the right wingers who came into this thread who defended the man

The language of the 14th Amendment seems to be referring to suffrage as a "privilege", actually. It uses the phrase "privileges and immunities" to encompass what we think of as "rights" - a privilege is a right TO something (right to vote or buy property), and an immunity is a right to NOT have something done to you (right to not have your speech unreasonably restricted, or right to not be put in prison without due process, for instance).

Also - a "right" is something you are born with, and its something EVERYONE is born with - yet not everyone is born with a "right" to vote in U.S. elections - you have to be a U.S. citizen.

Its really just a matter of word choice. Whether you call it a "right" or a "privilege", as long as you understand it is something that all U.S. citizens are entitled to so long as they are a) 18 or over b) not mentally incapacitated and c) in some states, not a felon - then it matters little which word you choose.

Last edited:
There you have it.

There are cons who will argue that Americans have no voting rights.

Forum List

Back