Kudos to John Roberts

This is why I have posted in the past that I believed the court would uphold the Act...

...if two branches had found the Act constitutional.....even if I believe it was a political decision.....

it was the job of the Supreme Court to find it so unless there is specific language in the Constitution
that forbids same.

It is NOT required that there be specific language forbidding an Act.

What IS required is specific language AUTHORIZING it.

It wasn't found in the Commerce Clause.

It wasn't found in the Necessary and Proper Clause.

It was CLAIMED to be found in the taxing authority of Congress when even Congress declined to call it a "tax," as did the Executive Branch. Still the CJ twisted and contorted the words USED in the actual ACT by Congress itself to convert "penalty" into "tax."

That distortion of the meaning of words didn't sneak past the 4 dissenting Justices who called it for what it was. Wrong and without precedent.

And, if it is a "tax" somehow, then it should have to be apportioned, but the CJ got around that too, by a similarly slippery manipulation of language.

It was a dishonest majority opinion in those ways.

ObamaCare SHOULD have been voided. Instead, because the CJ declined to do what he should have done, we are all now saddled with it at least though the start of the next Administration and a new Congress, if we can seize control of the Senate.

This upcoming election is now the most important one in U.S. history.
BXCT094.jpg

Naughty, horty....

Careful what you wish for.
Would you rather have a Justice Brennan???

Justice Wm. Brennan, jr…1985 Georgetown speech supported the “transformative purpose” of the Constitution, in which he argued for an “aspiration to social justice, brotherhood, and human dignity…”

The only good I see coming from this decision is how it will motivate the voting public.

If you like Pelosi's "pass it so we can read it" bullshit, then you damned sure better show up at the polling booth.

The 60% of Americans that disagree with the legislation WILL show up to vote.
You just thought Obama's voting turnout was monumental in 2008.

Stay tuned, boys and girls
:cool:

Yup....in November, the public will invalidate this bill.

Then, will you forgive Roberts?

It was CLAIMED to be found in the taxing authority of Congress when even Congress declined to call it a "tax," as did the Executive Branch. Still the CJ twisted and contorted the words USED in the actual ACT by Congress itself to convert "penalty" into "tax."

That distortion of the meaning of words didn't sneak past the 4 dissenting Justices who called it for what it was. Wrong and without precedent.

And, if it is a "tax" somehow, then it should have to be apportioned, but the CJ got around that too, by a similarly slippery manipulation of language.

ObamaCare SHOULD have been voided. Instead, because the CJ declined to do what he should have done, we are all now saddled with it at least though the start of the next Administration and a new Congress, if we can seize control of the Senate.

BXCT094.jpg

Naughty, horty....

Justice Wm. Brennan, jr…1985 Georgetown speech supported the “transformative purpose” of the Constitution, in which he argued for an “aspiration to social justice, brotherhood, and human dignity…”

I'd just rather have someone with a SPINE.
:mad:

Quantum floated an interesting theory that, maybe, Roberts' language helps make it easier to repeal.

*shrug*

The only good I see coming from this decision is how it will motivate the voting public.

If you like Pelosi's "pass it so we can read it" bullshit, then you damned sure better show up at the polling booth.

If his intent was to give the voting public the power, rather than the SCOTUS, sure.
But he'd have to come right out and say it.

Naughty, horty....

Quantum floated an interesting theory that, maybe, Roberts' language helps make it easier to repeal.

*shrug*

I think he did show courage...and, more importantly, he kept his word.

We're both upset that the decision didn't go the way we wished, but remember this:

"...if the Constitution says that the little guy should win, the little guy is going to win in court before me. But if the Constitution says that the big guy should win, well, then the big guy is going to win, because my obligation is to the Constitution. That's the oath. The oath that a judge takes is not that 'I'll look out for particular interests.' . . . The oath is to uphold the Constitution and laws of the United States, and that's what I would do."

Judge Roberts at his nomination hearing.

He's a good man, and a fine Justice. This will work out.

Naughty, horty....

*shrug*

Obama lied that it wasn't a tax hike.

He never would have gotten it passed without lying about it.

So this is gonna hang around his neck through the election.

If his intent was to give the voting public the power, rather than the SCOTUS, sure.
But he'd have to come right out and say it.

That is exactly what he said....he pointed out that his function was not to say whether the bill is good or bad....merely whether it is allowed under the United States Constitution.

It is the function of the public to elect representatives who vote their interests. Many folks who voted for Obama in '08 will not do so again....

...and this decision, this bill, will be a part of the reason.

Naughty, horty....

*shrug*

We're both upset that the decision didn't go the way we wished, but remember this:

"...if the Constitution says that the little guy should win, the little guy is going to win in court before me. But if the Constitution says that the big guy should win, well, then the big guy is going to win, because my obligation is to the Constitution. That's the oath. The oath that a judge takes is not that 'I'll look out for particular interests.' . . . The oath is to uphold the Constitution and laws of the United States, and that's what I would do."

I just can't climb over this sentence:

The Federal Government does have the power to impose a tax on those without health insurance.

I'm not sure I will. He went out of his way to say the law was something Congress said it wasn't. Now Romney is going to have to waste time fixing this and we're going to have more economic uncertainty, uncertainty which could have been avoided. Obama's priority in 2009 should have been the economy. Romney's priority in 2013 should be the economy. But because Obama's wasn't, and because Roberts said the law was something which Congress said it wasn't, now we're going to lose more time on this issue and the economy is going to lose more steam.

This is why I have posted in the past that I believed the court would uphold the Act...

...if two branches had found the Act constitutional.....even if I believe it was a political decision.....

it was the job of the Supreme Court to find it so unless there is specific language in the Constitution
that forbids same.

The court decision was correct; it was the election of '08 that was the mistake.

I'm pleased with a Supreme Court decision directly related to the language of the Constitution.

No. The Court decision was horribly flawed. There is NO validity to the claim that when Congress SAYS "penalty" they "meant" to say "tax." They chose. The MADE the choice out of concern that a tax would require apportionment. It should have, too, but the SCOTUS decision double-talked that point, too. And it did so in a dishonest fashion. Which only gets us back to the fact that the job of the SCOTUS is not to interpret the meaning of already clear words. Congress is ALSO presumed to mean what the fuck it says. But the CJ's opinion didn't concern itself with THAT nicety of the law, either.

The Election of '08 WAS a mistake, but not one that can be corrected until Election Day. That fact doesn't alter what the job of SCOTUS was -- and how badly they fucked it up today.

They directly related their language to the Constitution to ignore what the Constitution clearly commands.

Shame on the CJ.

The basis of the mandate is that it's a tax which the Congress can levy. Obama can deny it all he wants to, or call it something else, but it's a tax. I don't think they should be able to tax EVERYTHING, but maybe it's up to us to make sure that doesn't happen. I'm not thrilled with the ACA, but this action does put this issue front and center. Which is a good thing IMHO, it should be up tot he voters to decide this thing.

*shrug*

I just can't climb over this sentence:

The Federal Government does have the power to impose a tax on those without health insurance.

1. Article I, section 8, clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;….

a. Hamilton’s view was that this clause gave Congress the power to tax and spend for the general welfare, whatsoever they decide that might be.

b. William Drayton, in 1828, came down on the side of Madison, Jefferson and others, pointing out that if Hamilton was correct, what point would there have been to enumerate Congresses’ other powers? If Congress wished to do anything it was not authorized to do, it could accomplish it via taxing and spending. He said, "If Congress can determine what constitutes the general welfare and can appropriate money for its advancement, where is the limitation to carrying into execution whatever can be effected by money?" 'Charity Not a Proper Function of the American Government' by Walter E. Williams

2. Sure enough, Drayton was correct. Supreme Court decisions have found a broad meaning for 'general welfare,' as long as it applies to the entire population.

a. The result: $15 trillion in debt.

The basis of the mandate is that it's a tax which the Congress can levy. Obama can deny it all he wants to, or call it something else, but it's a tax. I don't think they should be able to tax EVERYTHING, but maybe it's up to us to make sure that doesn't happen. I'm not thrilled with the ACA, but this action does put this issue front and center. Which is a good thing IMHO, it should be up tot he voters to decide this thing.

It was not a tax. That's the point.

It was a penalty.

Gun to your head, buy this shitty health care crap product (made in the USA by Obamaco) or we are gonna hit you with a penalty.

If you get pulled over for driving too fast, paying your fine is a penalty, not a tax.

If you litter and get a citation for it, you will likely get hit with a monetary penalty. You can call that a tax if you want. But it's not. It's a penalty.

The DISSENT correctly pointed out the distinction.

Congress itself called it a PENALTY. It took the rewording of the Congressional-passed and Presidentially signed Law to convert "penalty" into "tax." And ONLY if it was denominated a "tax" could it be sustained.

The CJ contorted himself and rewrote the law to force the square peg into the round hole. And now the fucking Federal Government may "learn" the lesson: it can 'tax" any damn thing it wishes to. Who's to say otherwise, NOW?

This kneejerk reaction to the ruling, jumping up and bringing forth repeal without a replacement, spells doom for this ornery bunch.

The Rs are never ready to substantially back up their rhetoric. Talking point bullshit.

from his ruling:

Members of this Court are vested with the authority to interpret the law; we possess neither the expertise nor the prerogative to make policy judgments. Those decisions are entrusted to our Nation’s elected leaders, who can be thrown out of office if the people disagree with them. It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.

Very refreshing. I'm sure I'll be back to hating him next year but that was a very perceptive statement.

:clap2:

The court decision was correct; it was the election of '08 that was the mistake.

I'm pleased with a Supreme Court decision directly related to the language of the Constitution.

No. The Court decision was horribly flawed. There is NO validity to the claim that when Congress SAYS "penalty" they "meant" to say "tax." They chose. The MADE the choice out of concern that a tax would require apportionment. It should have, too, but the SCOTUS decision double-talked that point, too. And it did so in a dishonest fashion. Which only gets us back to the fact that the job of the SCOTUS is not to interpret the meaning of already clear words. Congress is ALSO presumed to mean what the fuck it says. But the CJ's opinion didn't concern itself with THAT nicety of the law, either.

The Election of '08 WAS a mistake, but not one that can be corrected until Election Day. That fact doesn't alter what the job of SCOTUS was -- and how badly they fucked it up today.

They directly related their language to the Constitution to ignore what the Constitution clearly commands.

Shame on the CJ.

In March, the NYTimes wrote:

"In defending the law, the Justice Department has taken a legal position — that the health care act constitutes a tax — that contradicts the political stance taken by President Obama. "
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/h...h-mandate-is-not-a-tax-except-when-it-is.html

Shame on the CJ.

In March, the NYTimes wrote:

"In defending the law, the Justice Department has taken a legal position — that the health care act constitutes a tax — that contradicts the political stance taken by President Obama. "
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/27/h...h-mandate-is-not-a-tax-except-when-it-is.html

Yes. And every time the Solicitor General addressed the Court and tried to call it a "tax," he got cowed by the Justices into using the term "penalty."

This decision is simply bogus.

Shame on Roberts. I mean that literally. I am ashamed OF him and for him.

Obama tried to redefine tax increase, calling it a mandate.

Now he's signed the biggest tax increase in U.S. history.

Judge Roberts exposed him.

Forum List

Back