Krugman Rips Apart Republican House Speaker

I'll put George Will, Charles Krauthammer or Bill Krystal up against a liberal poser like Paul Krugman six days a week and twice on Sundays!

What's laughable is that we've had six years of "Progressive" policies that Paul Krugman has been the Head Cheerleader for and it's been an unmitigated disaster almost across the board. Now you're going to hold HIM up as an intellectual paragon? Really? The next thing you'll be attempting to do is propose that Barack Obama is one of the great "leaders" of the century!

If we had followed Krugman's recommendations following the Republican economic crash in 2008 the economy would be flourishing by now.

Bill Kristol has a track record of being 100% wrong on everything.

Bill Kristol A Timeline of Faulty Predictions - The Wire

That you would cite a hack like Kristol as being a rightwing intellect on a par with Buckley exposes your inability to comprehend what it means to be an intellectual. Buckley was someone who not only thought deeply about conservative issues and expressed them in a convincing manner but he was a gentleman too.

There is no one on the right who even comes close.

Krugman's a one trick pony...his solution to EVERYTHING is more government spending! Spend a trillion on stimulus and it didn't stimulate the economy? You needed to spend two trillion!!!

Are you really making the point that Kristol, Will and Krauthammer aren't "gentlemen"? Compare those three to the "intellectuals" on the Left these days and they epitomize the term.

You are flailing now.

Krugman's track record is better than any of your 3 partisan hacks.

Oh for god's sake! Are you kidding me? Krugman's "track record" is as bad as Larry Summers and Christina Romer's! They are all big government Keynesians who believe that you can spend your way out of any economic downturn. Krauthammer is a voice of reason in an intellectual "wasteland".

yep, a goodly portion of the stimulus was tax cuts. OldStyle must feel a little foolish right now :redface:

Not really. the thing about being a Supply-Sider is that reality never impacts your world view.

Tax cuts are always good even when they don't stimulate the economy... because the rich deserve to keep that money they swindled working folks out of fair and square.

More whining about rich people swindling "working folks", "Radar"? You really don't have much else...do you? I'm curious...when JFK proposed tax cuts was that because he was a rich guy helping other rich guys swindle working folks...or were the Kennedy tax cuts proposed because he understood that tax cuts would stimulate the economy?

I'll put George Will, Charles Krauthammer or Bill Krystal up against a liberal poser like Paul Krugman six days a week and twice on Sundays!

What's laughable is that we've had six years of "Progressive" policies that Paul Krugman has been the Head Cheerleader for and it's been an unmitigated disaster almost across the board. Now you're going to hold HIM up as an intellectual paragon? Really? The next thing you'll be attempting to do is propose that Barack Obama is one of the great "leaders" of the century!

If we had followed Krugman's recommendations following the Republican economic crash in 2008 the economy would be flourishing by now.

That you would cite a hack like Kristol as being a rightwing intellect on a par with Buckley exposes your inability to comprehend what it means to be an intellectual. Buckley was someone who not only thought deeply about conservative issues and expressed them in a convincing manner but he was a gentleman too.

Krugman's a one trick pony...his solution to EVERYTHING is more government spending! Spend a trillion on stimulus and it didn't stimulate the economy? You needed to spend two trillion!!!

Are you really making the point that Kristol, Will and Krauthammer aren't "gentlemen"? Compare those three to the "intellectuals" on the Left these days and they epitomize the term.

You are flailing now.

Oh for god's sake! Are you kidding me? Krugman's "track record" is as bad as Larry Summers and Christina Romer's! They are all big government Keynesians who believe that you can spend your way out of any economic downturn. Krauthammer is a voice of reason in an intellectual "wasteland".

:lmao:

So having discovered for the first time that Kristol is a hack who is 100% wrong you have decided to back the Krauthammer nag instead?

When Krauthammer is 8216 poisonously disingenuous 8217 Political Animal The Washington Monthly

No Krauthammer. Not Constitutionalism Rabid Dishonest Cultism Crooks and Liars

You really are striking out in this thread. The smart move would be to just admit that the right is seriously lacking when it comes to intellects of yore like Buckley and move on.

And no, I don't expect you to do the smart thing.

More whining about rich people swindling "working folks", "Radar"? You really don't have much else...do you? I'm curious...when JFK proposed tax cuts was that because he was a rich guy helping other rich guys swindle working folks...or were the Kennedy tax cuts proposed because he understood that tax cuts would stimulate the economy?

No, he proposed them because even he knew that a 93% top tax rate didn't work when you had so many loopholes.

Thing was, JFK increased government spending. Vietnam, the Moon Program. Lots and lots of government spending.

But what’s particularly strange about Boehner and the right’s continued laziness meme, Krugman observes, is that “the blame-the-victim crowd has gotten everything it wanted: benefits, especially for the long-term unemployed, have been slashed or eliminated.”

What has been slashed?

I thought that social benefits such as unemployment insurance and food stamps had been extended and expanded.

^ nope. Not under the t-Party-controlled, Boehner (R) House. Don't tell me you're unfamiliar w/ U.S. conservatives slash & burn policies???

'But what’s particularly strange about Boehner and the right’s continued laziness meme, Krugman observes, is that “the blame-the-victim crowd has gotten everything it wanted: benefits, especially for the long-term unemployed, have been slashed or eliminated.”'

Most on the right are impervious to logic, evidence, and facts.
this post bears repeating CrusaderFrank Toro :) C_Clayton_Jones :cool-45:

But what’s particularly strange about Boehner and the right’s continued laziness meme, Krugman observes, is that “the blame-the-victim crowd has gotten everything it wanted: benefits, especially for the long-term unemployed, have been slashed or eliminated.”

What has been slashed?

I thought that social benefits such as unemployment insurance and food stamps had been extended and expanded.

Those expansions were subsequently terminated by the Republicans.

What has been slashed?

And signed by President Obama?

What has been slashed?

Yes, there were all part of the sequester package if my memory serves.

What has been slashed?

Yes, there were all part of the sequester package if my memory serves.

Food stamps weren't part of the sequester. They were part of the Agriculture Bill, which Obama signed and the Democrat Senate passed.

Also, the extension of long-term unemployment benefits was passed by the Republican Congress but not renewed in 2013. This reverted benefits to their duration before the financial crisis. Thus, by not renewing the bill, the Republicans "slashed" benefits to the level prior to the crisis.

Last edited:

You are flailing now.

So having discovered for the first time that Kristol is a hack who is 100% wrong you have decided to back the Krauthammer nag instead?

When Krauthammer is 8216 poisonously disingenuous 8217 Political Animal The Washington Monthly

You really are striking out in this thread. The smart move would be to just admit that the right is seriously lacking when it comes to intellects of yore like Buckley and move on.

So you quote a blog from a person I've never heard of and some sort of on line magazine I've never heard of as the "proof" that Charles Krauthammer isn't an intellectual worthy of the term? Really, Derideo?

Here's quick "rebuttal" to THAT nonsense! Charles Krauthammer is not only a Harvard trained doctor of psychiatry but a Pulitzer prize winner for political commentary. He's the person who first coined the "Reagan Doctrine". Not only did Bill Clinton refer to Krauthammer as "brilliant" but he won the William F. Buckley award for Media Excellence. But what does Bill Clinton know? We'd be better off taking the word of an obscure blogger...right?

[

So you quote a blog from a person I've never heard of and some sort of on line magazine I've never heard of as the "proof" that Charles Krauthammer isn't an intellectual worthy of the term? Really, Derideo?

Here's quick "rebuttal" to THAT nonsense! Charles Krauthammer is not only a Harvard trained doctor of psychiatry but a Pulitzer prize winner for political commentary. He's the person who first coined the "Reagan Doctrine". Not only did Bill Clinton refer to Krauthammer as "brilliant" but he won the William F. Buckley award for Media Excellence. But what does Bill Clinton know? We'd be better off taking the word of an obscure blogger...right?

Charlie Strangelove is one of these assholes who thought the Iraq War was a good idea. No one should ever listen to him again.

You are flailing now.

Your ignorance of those sources in not my problem.

Krauthammer's "qualifications" in a completely unrelated field are meaningless. His Pulitzer was in 1987. It has been a quarter of century since then and he hasn't aged well. Buckley improved with age whereas Krauthammer is degenerating into irrelevance. He certainly did nothing to deserve the Buckley award in my opinion. Then again it was probably awarded posthumously since Krauthammer has been brain dead for most of this century in my opinion.

You are flailing now.

Krauthammer's "qualifications" in a completely unrelated field are meaningless. His Pulitzer was in 1987. It has been a quarter of century since then and he hasn't aged well. Buckley improved with age whereas Krauthammer is degenerating into irrelevance. He certainly did nothing to deserve the Buckley award in my opinion. Then again it was probably awarded posthumously since Krauthammer has been brain dead for most of this century in my opinion.

Your opinion isn't one that is held by very many others, Derideo...including quite a few liberals.

"In 2006, the Financial Times named Krauthammer the most influential commentator in America,[10] saying "Krauthammer has influenced US foreign policy for more than two decades. He coined and developed 'The Reagan Doctrine' in 1985 and he defined the US role as sole superpower in his essay 'The Unipolar Moment,' published shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Krauthammer's 2004 speech 'Democratic Realism', which was delivered to the American Enterprise Institute when Krauthammer won the Irving Kristol Award, set out a framework for tackling the post-9/11 world, focusing on the promotion of democracy in the Middle East." In 2009, Politico columnist Ben Smith wrote that Krauthammer had "emerged in the Age of Obama as a central conservative voice," a "kind of leader of the opposition...a coherent, sophisticated and implacable critic of the new president." The New York Times columnist David Brooks says that today "he's the most important conservative columnist."[13] Former congressman and MSNBC host Joe Scarborough called Krauthammer "without a doubt the most powerful force in American conservatism. He has [been] for two, three, four years."

Charles Krauthammer - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

You are flailing now.

Your opinion isn't one that is held by very many others, Derideo...including quite a few liberals.

"In 2006, the Financial Times named Krauthammer the most influential commentator in America,[10] saying "Krauthammer has influenced US foreign policy for more than two decades. He coined and developed 'The Reagan Doctrine' in 1985 and he defined the US role as sole superpower in his essay 'The Unipolar Moment,' published shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Krauthammer's 2004 speech 'Democratic Realism', which was delivered to the American Enterprise Institute when Krauthammer won the Irving Kristol Award, set out a framework for tackling the post-9/11 world, focusing on the promotion of democracy in the Middle East." In 2009, Politico columnist Ben Smith wrote that Krauthammer had "emerged in the Age of Obama as a central conservative voice," a "kind of leader of the opposition...a coherent, sophisticated and implacable critic of the new president." The New York Times columnist David Brooks says that today "he's the most important conservative columnist."[13] Former congressman and MSNBC host Joe Scarborough called Krauthammer "without a doubt the most powerful force in American conservatism. He has [been] for two, three, four years."

Charles Krauthammer - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

And here it is again, folks!

Yet another gem of mindless idiocy from Krauthammer exposed as utterly false!

Criticism of Obama s pronouns falls apart MSNBC

This line of attack has been ongoing for years, though Charles Krauthammer, non-practicing psychiatrist, summarized the right’s pitch about a month ago: “I mean, count the number of times he uses the word I in any speech, and compare that to any other president…. You know, this is a guy, you look at every one of his speeches, even the way he introduces high officials – ‘I’d like to introduce my secretary of State.’ He once referred to ‘my intelligence community.’ And in one speech, I no longer remember it, ‘my military.’ For God’s sake, he talks like the emperor Napoleon.”
With this in mind, BuzzFeed put together an interesting research project.
BuzzFeed News analyzed more than 2,000 presidential news conferences since 1929, looking for usage of first-person singular pronouns – “I,” “me,” “my,” “mine,” and “myself.” Just 2.5 percent of Obama’s total news-conference words fell into this category. Only Herbert Hoover and Franklin D. Roosevelt used them less often. […]
While Obama has shied from the first-person singular, he’s leaned heavily on the first-person plural – “we,” “our,” “ourselves,” and “us.” In fact, he’s used it more than any president in the dataset.

Hmm. This would suggest Obama is actually the least narcissistic president in the modern era. Krauthammer, who specifically urged the public to “count the number of times he uses the word I in any speech,” isn’t just throwing around cheap criticism, the far-right pundit actually has the entire line of attack backwards.

But it gets even better. They produced charts and graphs proving the Krauthammer was 100% WRONG in his fraudulent allegation about Obama!

upload_2014-10-21_17-54-28.png

Forum List

Back