Knowledge,...Not Same As Wisdom

no matter what you do secularism will grow and grow and grow.

At some point man will heave god centered religion entirely for a more valid belief system

I bet most of those people of the future will be much better people than the OP

and you advocate a society that gets to decide who is allowed to be educated?

Education is for everyone.

it will improve EVERYONE.

You just think you can control WHAT people gleen from education because you fear people

1. Why tell me what I believe....unless, of course you are afraid of the answer I might give.

Here it is, though: individualism, free markets, and limited constitutional government.

2 .You said: "you advocate a society that gets to decide who is allowed to be educated?"
Could you point out where you see that above?
No?
So...you were fibbing?

Well, then, you should apologize.

3. You said: "you fear people."
Now...that IS a fib....
That should be "you fear person.'

'Cause, you know you are the only one I fear!!!
I'm just afraid I might be close by when your brain explodes!!!

At some point man will heave god centered religion entirely for a more valid belief system

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIhixcUEq50]The Terrible Ukrainian Famine of 1932-33 - YouTube[/ame]

“Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it”
George Santayana

Geeezz....I was HOPING someone would post along that line...

Here is a lesson from history that may suggest that their view of simply 'knowledge' without wisdom, is short-sighted at the very least.

1. More details are emerging about Humam al-Balawi, the man who blew up seven intelligence agents in Afghanistan. By education and professional status, the Jordanian doctor is typical of recent suicidal attackers. The man accused of trying to blow up a plane on Christmas Day is a Nigerian graduate of the University of London. In the Fort Hood shootings, a Palestinian-American psychiatrist in the U.S. Army has been charged.
Humam al-Balawi was said to be carrying information about Ayman al-Zawahiri, Osama bin Laden's number two, himself a surgeon who was born to a prominent Egyptian family.
Mohamed Atta of 9/11, who was an Egyptian urban planner who had been working in Germany - these are not the wretched of the earth. What essentially is the grievance that draws them to al-Qaida?
Groups Recruiting Well-Educated Terrorists : NPR

2. A recent study at Princeton University by Alan Krueger and Jitka Maleckova, called "Education, Poverty, Political Violence and Terrorism: Is There a Causal Connection?" argues this point. One piece of the Krueger-Maleckova evidence involves 129 members of Hezbollah who died in action, mostly against Israel, from 1982 to 1994. Hezbollah is now designated by the U.S. as a terrorist organization. Biographical information from the Hezbollah newspaper al-Ahd indicates that the fighters who died were, on average, more educated and less impoverished than the Lebanese population of comparable age and regional origin….Moreover, the Palestinians' adherence to the view that the mass murder of civilians was not terrorism was independent of education and higher among those working than unemployed. Hence, support for terrorism was not reduced by increases in education and income….a study by Charles Russell and Bowman Miller (reprinted in the 1983 book Perspectives on Terrorism) considered 18 revolutionary groups, including the Japanese Red Army, Germany's Baader-Meinhof Gang, and Italy's Red Brigades. The authors found that "the vast majority of those individuals involved in terrorist activities as cadres or leaders is quite well-educated. In fact, approximately two-thirds of those identified terrorists are persons with some university training, [and] well over two-thirds of these individuals came from the middle or upper classes in their respective nations or areas." BW Online | June 10, 2002 | The Myth That Poverty Breeds Terrorism
http://www.krueger.princeton.edu/terrorism2.pdf

3. …men who belonged to violent Islamist groups active over the past few decades (some in jail, some not). Had those groups reflected the working-age populations of their countries, engineers would have made up about 3.5 percent of the membership. Instead, nearly 20 percent of the militants had engineering degrees. When Gambetta and Hertog looked at only the militants whose education was known for certain to have gone beyond high school, close to half (44 percent) had trained in engineering.
Today's Highly Educated Terrorists | The National Interest Blog

4. Pol Pot, was the leader of the Cambodian communist movement known as the Khmer Rouge[3] and was Prime Minister of Democratic Kampuchea from 1976–1979. Pol Pot's leadership, in which he attempted to "cleanse" the country, resulted in the deaths of an estimated 1.7–2.5 million people…. he qualified for a scholarship that allowed for technical study in France. He studied radio electronics at the EFR in Paris from 1949 to 1953 Pol Pot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Khmer Rouge leader Khieu Samphan, who had studied in Paris, wrote in his doctoral dissertation that the Cambodian economy and social structure would be renewed by tapping “the dormant energy of the peasant mass” against the cities.
“Kissinger, “The White House Years,” p. 518.

6. Ernesto "Che" Guevara "the man was a mass killer. Hundreds were reportedly executed on his watch" Why Do people love a mass murder like Che? // Current
As a young boy growing up, he had a passion for education, literature and philosophy "he worked as a doctor. Che Guevara : Biography

7. Lenin was born Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov, April 22, 1870….In 1891 he passed the law examinations at the University of St. Petersburg as an external student, scoring first in his class. He practiced law briefly in Samara before devoting himself to the revolutionary movement. Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov (Lenin), 1870-1924

8. Bashar al-Assad is the President of the Syrian Arab Republic, Regional Secretary of the Ba'ath Party, and the son of former President Hafez al-Assad. Al-Assad is a controversial figure both in Syria and Internationally… for his disregard for human rights, economic lapses, sponsorship of terrorism, and corruption. Bashar studied ophthalmology at Damascus University 1988 and arrived in London in 1992 to continue his studies. Bashar al-Assad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Highly educated Leftists, smart guys all....

So, I'm wondering if our friends on the Left would like to claim any of these highly educated folks as their heroes?

I just love it when you walk into one like this!! BAM!

Now...actually, your lack of education plus your political perspective fits right in with the OP, doesn't it?

Glad you dropped by.

So, your point is that some villains were educated

You would have fit right in at Faber

If I ever need a brain transplant I’d want yours….’cause I’d want one that had never been used.

6915213993_42b1bca8ec_z.jpg

Brain-Conservative.jpg

I cut and pasted that all by myself.......wink

Most of us know at least one PhD who demonstrates almost no ability to for practical application of his/her discipline. Probably most of us know at least one PhD who lacks the most basic social skills and/or common sense in the choices he/she makes.

I have long believed that there is no knowledge that is not worth knowing.

And I also believe that knowledge and ability are not necessarily the same thing.

And I also believe that while knowledge can be essential in making the best choices, knowledge without virtue is no more likely to result in best choices than is ignorance.

Knowledge is not the enemy in those who choose to do evil, harmful, or stupid. Ability is.

and you advocate a society that gets to decide who is allowed to be educated?

Education is for everyone.

it will improve EVERYONE.

You just think you can control WHAT people gleen from education because you fear people

Yeah. I advocate for a society where individuals choose to be as educated as they want. Because I am well aware that people can't be forced to be educated. They can be forced to go to school. And you may give them a piece of paper that says they completed what you made them do, but that doesn't mean they are educated.

Everyone has a chance to be educated. All they have to do is pick up a book, observe the world around them, and think.

Do you consider yourself educated?

Man will always have faith in God. Because He is the Father of all mankind.

You don't understand faith in God which is why you will never figure out why you cant snuff it out.

So, your point is that some villains were educated

You would have fit right in at Faber

If I ever need a brain transplant I’d want yours….’cause I’d want one that had never been used.

6915213993_42b1bca8ec_z.jpg

I don't know what's sadder. The fact that you think this adds to the discussion or the fact that you knew where to find that picture. Clearly you've been thinking way too much on this topic, which is a shame since there are so many better things to think of.

I like how this turned into a thread of liberals and conservatives attacking each other, nothing of which has to do with what the OP was getting at.

Wisdom, and the moralistic means to use knowledge acquired, isn't something you can force yourself to learn. Wisdom comes with time and life experiences. You can't be both young and wise, but you can be young and smart. You can also be smart and stupid at the same time.

The best example of this is simply looking at myself. I'm young, and I'm smart; really damn smart. I know a lot about a variety of subjects, some of which have practical applications, some of which don't. While I can apply some of my knowledge to life experiences smartly, I can't do it all yet, simply because I don't have the experience to apply that knowledge.

Mom calls it "book smart" and "street smart". I have a lot of the former, not a lot of the latter. It's why I tend to suffer from Foot-in-Mouth Syndrome.

I like how this turned into a thread of liberals and conservatives attacking each other, nothing of which has to do with what the OP was getting at.

Wisdom, and the moralistic means to use knowledge acquired, isn't something you can force yourself to learn. Wisdom comes with time and life experiences. You can't be both young and wise, but you can be young and smart. You can also be smart and stupid at the same time.

The best example of this is simply looking at myself. I'm young, and I'm smart; really damn smart. I know a lot about a variety of subjects, some of which have practical applications, some of which don't. While I can apply some of my knowledge to life experiences smartly, I can't do it all yet, simply because I don't have the experience to apply that knowledge.

Mom calls it "book smart" and "street smart". I have a lot of the former, not a lot of the latter. It's why I tend to suffer from Foot-in-Mouth Syndrome.

Don't worry. You aren't the only one who tends to suffer from FIM syndrome. Heck, i think most of the board does.

I think you're selling yourself a bit short here. The first component of wisdom is appreciating and acknowledging what we don't know. You embrace all of that concept; however that does make you wrong about one thing. You can, in fact, be both young and wise. Without the ability to translate it into wisdom, all the experience in the world will not make somebody wise.

The second component of wisdom is the gift of accurate perception--the ability to separate truth from misleading testimony, brainwashing, and bullshit. You have also demonstrated an ability to do that.

And your ability to recognize the emptyness of hateful judgmentalism, the use of platitudes, insults, and talking points instead of rational thought, and the inability of some to articulate understanding of the concept of the OP is also a pretty good indicator of wisdom. :)

Last edited:

Man will always have faith in God. Because He is the Father of all mankind.

You don't understand faith in God which is why you will never figure out why you cant snuff it out.

Never say never. But the fact that there has never been a civilization in the entire history of mankind on Earth in which the people were not concious of the existence of something larger than themselves suggests that it is ingrained in the universal human DNA to believe in something larger than mortal man. Or. . . .it strongly suggests that God exists.

So, to rebut my post, a board member quoted a Harvard social science Ph.D…..That is a failure to realize that the longer one spends in university in the social sciences, the less wisdom one has! More knowledge, perhaps…..but less wisdom.
Define knowledge and wisdom...

1. We have the Enlightenment, and, concomitant, the French Revolution, to thank for the concept that ‘reason’ should be the guiding principle of life. To clarify, that means ‘reason’ to the exclusion of morality.
And what of the all of the enlightenment philosophers that dealt with ethics? Spinoza, Kant, Hobbes et al. If you are going to piss on the Enlightenment at least get your facts to resemble reality.

Early on, reason had been regarded as a powerful tool for knowing truth, goodness, and beauty. But, with the Enlightenment, and the split that emerged between facts and values, only the kind of reason associated with science was considered appropriate to understand and control the world.
You piss on the Enlightenment only to use Hume's is-ought gap?

2. But ‘reason’ cannot indicate which uses of nature, of the world, are good or humane. Reason may point us in the direction of achieving our goals, but cannot determine which goals are right to pursue in the first place: it ascertains what we can do, but not what we should do. What works, but not what is good. Facts, but not values.
Oh the irony.. You realise many of the enlightenment philosophers said just this.

3. Consider this concrete example of the above:
Was it the ‘reason’ associated with science, or was it moral values that produced poison gas, barbed wire, high explosives, experiments in eugenics, the formula for Zyklon B, heavy artillery, pseudo-scientific justifications for mass murder, cluster bombs,
attack submarines, napalm, inter continental ballistic missiles, military space platforms, and nuclear weapons? Which was it?
Berlinski, “The Devil’s Delusion”

Scientifically possible =/= ethical... Hardly a ground breaking statement. Your point.

4. If you are a philosophical naturalist (="nature" is all that there is), then what sense do you make of ethics? Is morality natural?
There are several ways of doing that without invoking the supernatural.. Moral realism, ethical nihilism, ethical hedonism, ethical humanism, value ethics.

s the philosopher Simon Blackburn puts it in his ‘Ruling Passions,’ “the problem is one of finding room for ethics, or of placing ethics within the disenchanted, non-ethical order which we inhabit, and of which we are a part.”… "The task before us is to try to squeeze morality into the “disenchanted” natural world; as Blackburn says, this “is above all to refuse appeal to a supernatural order.” (i.e., God)
John Piippo: Naturalistic Ethics & Boiling Babies for Fun
This usually is not the POV among naturalists.

a. But, examples of morality intrinsic in nature are as rare as hens teeth. What is left? "God is the source of morality, because morality is grounded in the character of God… the moral law is a feature of God’s nature. Morality, …is ultimately grounded in the perfect nature of God." (Ibid.)

The euthyphro dilemma reveals the absurdity in that view point.

a. 5.Princeton philosopher Richard Rorty noted the change in authorship of morality: “The West has cobbled together, in the course of the last two hundred years, a specifically secularist moral tradition — one that regards the free consensus of the citizens of a democratic society, rather then the Divine Will, as the source of moral imperatives.” Last Words from Richard Rorty | The Progressive
b. While Rorty considered this a great advance, consider how this fits the actions of Nazi Germany, in tune with its free consensus.
a. I would disagree I like to keep politics and morality separate.
b. *cough* Godwin's law *cough* Lazy and inaccurate comparison.

So, to rebut my post, a board member quoted a Harvard social science Ph.D…..That is a failure to realize that the longer one spends in university in the social sciences, the less wisdom one has! More knowledge, perhaps…..but less wisdom.

1. We have the Enlightenment, and, concomitant, the French Revolution, to thank for the concept that ‘reason’ should be the guiding principle of life. To clarify, that means ‘reason’ to the exclusion of morality.
And what of the all of the enlightenment philosophers that dealt with ethics? Spinoza, Kant, Hobbes et al. If you are going to piss on the Enlightenment at least get your facts to resemble reality.

Oh the irony.. You realise many of the enlightenment philosophers said just this.

Scientifically possible =/= ethical... Hardly a ground breaking statement. Your point.

There are several ways of doing that without invoking the supernatural.. Moral realism, ethical nihilism, ethical hedonism, ethical humanism, value ethics.

a. But, examples of morality intrinsic in nature are as rare as hens teeth. What is left? "God is the source of morality, because morality is grounded in the character of God… the moral law is a feature of God’s nature. Morality, …is ultimately grounded in the perfect nature of God." (Ibid.)

a. 5.Princeton philosopher Richard Rorty noted the change in authorship of morality: “The West has cobbled together, in the course of the last two hundred years, a specifically secularist moral tradition — one that regards the free consensus of the citizens of a democratic society, rather then the Divine Will, as the source of moral imperatives.” Last Words from Richard Rorty | The Progressive
b. While Rorty considered this a great advance, consider how this fits the actions of Nazi Germany, in tune with its free consensus.

No dear. Godwin's Law does not apply in that particular reference, because it was a perfectly legitimate frame of reference from which to illustrate the point being made. To wrongly characterize it thusly is not necessarily lack of wisdom, but it definitely suggests an incorrect definition of what Godwin's Law is.

To put it more simply, we cannot simply erase the Third Reich from the history books and never use it as an example in any form. There are times that it is appropriate to include it in discussion of political power, moral consensus, and human behavior.

Godwin's Law is the use of references to Hitler and the Nazis to demonize whatever topic is being discussed or to demonize/insult those discussing a topic. It is sometimes used intentionally to derail or freeze a thread.

That is not how it was used in the OP.

My fact are correct.
Work on your reading comprehension.

You've proven you are pretentious.
Please, keep going ….I always yawn when I’m interested.

"Define knowledge and wisdom..."
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Forum List

Back