Kitty rescue stories....

When I was a young girl, a cat crawled through an open window of our family car and gave birth to a litter of kittens. Upon discovery, the mother cat and kittens were brought into our home and my siblings and I grew very attached to them. There was one kitten in particular that I had grown to love deeply. I can still picture him in my mind. One day, a few weeks later, I came home from school and the feline family was gone. My mom said that her nephew (my first cousin) was in town and stopped by for a visit. He agreed to take the kittens to a friend's farm where there would be lots of room for them to run and play. I was heartbroken. Years later, when I was a young adult, my mother told me what really happened. My cousin agreed to take them out in the country and shoot them. I immediately broke down in tears. My mother chastised me. She thought I was "old enough" to hear the truth.

Although I loved my mother, her history with animals was appalling and unforgiveable. Those lives she so callously disregarded were important. My sisters, brothers, and I are nothing like our mother in that regard ... we have rescued many, many animals over the years and have given them loving forever homes ourselves or with other people we could trust to do the same. All these stories posted here touch my heart.

When I was a young girl, a cat crawled through an open window of our family car and gave birth to a litter of kittens. Upon discovery, the mother cat and kittens were brought into our home and my siblings and I grew very attached to them. There was one kitten in particular that I had grown to love deeply. I can still picture him in my mind. One day, a few weeks later, I came home from school and the feline family was gone. My mom said that her nephew (my first cousin) was in town and stopped by for a visit. He agreed to take the kittens to a friend's farm where there would be lots of room for them to run and play. I was heartbroken. Years later, when I was a young adult, my mother told me what really happened. My cousin agreed to take them out in the country and shoot them. I immediately broke down in tears. My mother chastised me. She thought I was "old enough" to hear the truth.

Although I loved my mother, her history with animals was appalling and unforgiveable. Those lives she so callously disregarded were important. My sisters, brothers, and I are nothing like our mother in that regard ... we have rescued many, many animals over the years and have given them loving forever homes ourselves or with other people we could trust to do the same. All these stories posted here touch my heart.

So sad. Sorry to hear that.

No word can describe how precious and adorable this little rescue fur baby is. Meet Winnie!

Winnie the kitten rescued by Tenth Life in St Louis, Missouri.
Elizabeth Frick of Tenth Life said: “Winnie was rescued by a compassionate former volunteer when she was just 3 weeks old. She was born to a feral mama cat on the streets and was discovered beneath a board behind an old refrigerator, with a severe upper respiratory infection.

The former volunteer brought her inside, caring for her until she became more responsive. When she exhibited labored breathing, he reached out to our volunteer and foster network for additional help. One of our loving foster parents, Hannah, stepped up to the plate and got Winnie through a critical period over the weekend, giving her antibiotics, eye ointment, subcutaneous fluids, and steam treatments with a nebulizer.

Winnie seemed to be improving. However, a few days later on July 4th, Winnie was declining. Hannah whisked her to the emergency room, and we’re so glad she did.

The first day, she showed no improvement, and we were very anxious about her prognosis. However, after another 24 hours, she had improved dramatically and was able to come home shortly after.

We’re so glad that Winnie made it through these critical periods and hope that it’s smooth sailing from here on out!”

Thank you much for these stories, Vigilante! As someone who has worked with rescues and volunteered at shelters, not to mention...fostered and adopted a few fur-fam "people" myself, they are wonderful.

Nothing like seeing how a small one reacts to you. They seems to know instinctively that you are there to save them, and show their gratitude with love and attention. Glad you enjoy the stories, there will be more!

Thank you much for these stories, Vigilante! As someone who has worked with rescues and volunteered at shelters, not to mention...fostered and adopted a few fur-fam "people" myself, they are wonderful.

Nothing like seeing how a small one reacts to you. They seems to know instinctively that you are there to save them, and show their gratitude with love and attention. Glad you enjoy the stories, there will be more!
I know what you mean! I've never personally encountered a handicapped kitty, but I've dealt with plenty of ferals and one of my fur-fam was a mere 9-10 days old when I took him in and nursed him. He's a whopping 15 lbs now and a terror, but I'm so glad I was able to save him. One of my current fur-fam members is also a feral rescue. Although he's not all that hot about lap-sitting and lots of petting, he still manages to sneak in and sleep on my feet and he strops my legs like a pro when dinner time rolls around. He also shows no interest in going outside at all.

I know what you mean! I've never personally encountered a handicapped kitty, but I've dealt with plenty of ferals and one of my fur-fam was a mere 9-10 days old when I took him in and nursed him. He's a whopping 15 lbs now and a terror, but I'm so glad I was able to save him. One of my current fur-fam members is also a feral rescue. Although he's not all that hot about lap-sitting and lots of petting, he still manages to sneak in and sleep on my feet and he strops my legs like a pro when dinner time rolls around. He also shows no interest in going outside at all.

I've found after 200+ rescues, that only 2 had a desire to return to the wild... and they were both under 6 months old. Seems, at least in my case, the older ones instinctively know that a warm house in winter and a cool one in summer, plus, all the damn food they can eat, and just laying around, beats sleeping with your eyes open looking for danger. Of course, not having to spend all the waking hours trying to find food somewhere is well worth a few pets, and a belly rub!

“We keep a bowl of cat food outside for neighborhood strays. This is what we found inside it this morning,” reddit user Detective51 shared the story. “She’s very friendly too.”

They found a little stray kitten in the bowl of cat food they left outside.

Then this happened. The little one is very friendly, too.

They even look like each other!

Taking a nap on her new buddy.

They also found 3 more kittens and the cat mama under their deck. “I’ll just collect them and try to find good homes for them when it’s time,” they added.

I've found after 200+ rescues, that only 2 had a desire to return to the wild... and they were both under 6 months old. Seems, at least in my case, the older ones instinctively know that a warm house in winter and a cool one in summer, plus, all the damn food they can eat, and just laying around, beats sleeping with your eyes open looking for danger. Of course, not having to spend all the waking hours trying to find food somewhere is well worth a few pets, and a belly rub!
The ferals around my place have no worries about food. I keep dry kibble in ample supply and fresh goat milk daily in the barn. Their bigger problem is defending this bounty from other cats. In return, I rarely ever see mice in my barn or in the feed. (First year I was at this place, mice at almost 100lbs of feed before I "invited" the ferals to move in.

The ferals around my place have no worries about food. I keep dry kibble in ample supply and fresh goat milk daily in the barn. Their bigger problem is defending this bounty from other cats. In return, I rarely ever see mice in my barn or in the feed. (First year I was at this place, mice at almost 100lbs of feed before I "invited" the ferals to move in.

Just found 2 more babies in the backyard, a mini Tuxedo, of her mom, and an all black one, calling her Emmy for shortened Ember. All three under one of the shade trees by the back porch, sleeping! Beautiful sight!

She was barely moving when they first saw her. Meet Mila, a little miracle kitty who pulled herself through a tough beginning. Thanks to people that didn’t give up on her, she’s made an incredible recovery.

“…my fellow rescuers and I were standing at the main counter of the shelter, which was just about to close. All of sudden, two women and a young girl came walking in with a shoebox,” Bobby Rock wrote. They popped off the top to reveal one of the sickest cats they had ever seen.

“They explained that this kitten had pulled herself out from underneath their house where she had apparently been stuck. No momma or siblings to be found anywhere,” he added.

They knew they couldn’t leave the little sickly kitten at a shelter, so they decided to bring her home. While they were at a fellow rescuer/kitty expert’s home for special food, meds and consultation, the lady told them that in 20 years of dealing with bottle babies and kittens, she had never seen a kitty so close to death who actually survived.

That night, they had to syringe feed the kitten every 30 minutes to keep her alive, even though she hated it.

“For the first few hours, we really didn’t know if she was going to make it.”

The next day, Mila was visibly better, even started walking around. When they brought in the food, she was eager to eat! Her appetite came back!

They gave Mila a little stuffed toy to snuggle with.

Look at those eyes! D’awww!

One week later, they introduced her to their doggie Aunt Mooshka.

…and a very patient Uncle Benny

Mila today – wow! Can you believe this is the same kitty they first saw in that shoebox? (Bobby Rock)

This man took in a tiny roadside kitten and gave him a long and happy life he always wanted.

When they met, the kitten snuggled up to the man on his shoulder for a nap. It was love at first sight.

“So the little floof you see on my shoulder is a kitten who so far has had a pretty rough life. Luckily though we are able to give him a good one. This picture here is within the first 5 minutes of me holding him. He climbed straight up my chest and rested there. I decide to name him Abner, Headbutter of Evil, Destroyer of Worlds. Abner for short,” he wrote via imgur.

“My friends found him on the side of the road, apparently abandoned by its mother, covered in ants, and seemingly hours away from death. They took him in, cleaned the ants off, and syringe fed him both food and water,” he added.

On his way to his new home. “Shortly after this picture he climbed down into my lap and passed out for the hour car ride home.”

When they were home, he quickly set up a feeding spot for the very hungry baby. “I put some wet cat food down and some kitten formula and he went for the wet food first then slurped down the formula. Eat and drinks all on his own and everything. Always comforting seeing when he has a full belly,” he said.

Milk face! “Here he is freshly after eating and drinking the formula, still a tad bit of a messy eater but its cute watching him.”

Abner meeting his new brother Ringo.

Look at the difference! “The day he was found to today. Little guy has made an awesome recovery and is full of energy. His weight is normal, curiosity is strong, and he loves to attack his big brother.” (imgur)

omg....love at first sight!!!!! I don't blame him!

Gorgeous kitten!

Little Freyja was found as a preemie kitten, the smallest thing they have seen. But the little fur baby has the heart of a lion and has made a miraculous comeback with a lot of love and TLC from the family that gave her a second chance at life.

“She came to us on 29th May after a lady posted on facebook asking for help with a premature kitten rejected by its mother,” said Debbie Timmis.

“The kitten had been found on the settee and was only noticed a ‘damp patch’, she was 60g when we got her and she was virtually hairless and she had missed out on the first vital few hours of feeding most of all from her mother who was unable to feed her due to stress, the mother was taken to the vets the following day.”

“The second day we had her we were asked whether she had bubbled milk down her nostrils to which we said yes, we were told that she would not survive this, we were distraught, an hour later she started to fit and looked very unwell, her legs went purple and limp and her tongue went white, it looked like she was struggling to breathe then I remembered that the bubbling down her nose was due to milk on her lungs, I tipped her upside down and massaged her chest telling her to live as I cried my eyes out, and the little poppet did!!!”

“Overjoyed, I fed her through the night every 2 hours for the first two weeks as she was so tiny and under nourished, she then started to open her eyes but got an eye infection and had a very runny bottom, she has been fed every 4 hours or less since I had her just under 7 weeks ago, she has been wormed and her eye infection cleared up on its own, she is now putting on weight, washing herself, playing, purring, exploring and being a generally adorable ankle biter.”

She was the size of a lighter when she came to her new home, now she’s outgrown it!

Look at that cute belly!

Waving her happy paws after a big meal.

“We looked for a majestic name because she was so brave and strong she deserved one… we called her Freyja, Norse goddess of Love, Beauty, Fertility and Gold.” Debbie added.

She was barely moving when they first saw her. Meet Mila, a little miracle kitty who pulled herself through a tough beginning. Thanks to people that didn’t give up on her, she’s made an incredible recovery.

“…my fellow rescuers and I were standing at the main counter of the shelter, which was just about to close. All of sudden, two women and a young girl came walking in with a shoebox,” Bobby Rock wrote. They popped off the top to reveal one of the sickest cats they had ever seen.

“They explained that this kitten had pulled herself out from underneath their house where she had apparently been stuck. No momma or siblings to be found anywhere,” he added.

They knew they couldn’t leave the little sickly kitten at a shelter, so they decided to bring her home. While they were at a fellow rescuer/kitty expert’s home for special food, meds and consultation, the lady told them that in 20 years of dealing with bottle babies and kittens, she had never seen a kitty so close to death who actually survived.

That night, they had to syringe feed the kitten every 30 minutes to keep her alive, even though she hated it.

“For the first few hours, we really didn’t know if she was going to make it.”

The next day, Mila was visibly better, even started walking around. When they brought in the food, she was eager to eat! Her appetite came back!

They gave Mila a little stuffed toy to snuggle with.

Look at those eyes! D’awww!

One week later, they introduced her to their doggie Aunt Mooshka.

…and a very patient Uncle Benny

Mila today – wow! Can you believe this is the same kitty they first saw in that shoebox? (Bobby Rock)

I like how she has an "M" on her forehead. Maybe that's why they named her "Mila" the Miracle Kitty! :)

A tiny baby kitten was found alone on the truck bed, crying for help. The cat mother was nowhere to be found. “What I can do for him is just one thing – that I go get some milk. Then, he joins our family,” the truck owner said in the video.

First day home! Kitty was all tuckered out!

After having a lot of food and naps, kitty got his energy back!

They cared for him around the clock. This is the kitty holder they made for their little furry baby.

They introduced him to their ferrets.

Quickly they became friends and the ferrets couldn’t get enough of their feline buddy, even when he was eating.

Running around the house, playing tag.

They named him Fuchagi. He was so tiny back then…

Now, he’s grown into a handsome boy!

A woman rescued two kitties and brought them home, but what she didn’t know they rescued her too. “I saved them, they saved me,” she wrote.

Reddit user Lushhh wrote: “Company I worked for closed down, family issues, I really felt like I had reached my limit. I wasn’t telling any of my friends what had been happening because I didn’t want to answer any questions. I see a picture of Myla (on the right, white feet) and I felt like I loved her without even meeting her. I went to bed and couldn’t stop thinking about her little grey face and white chin, so I decided I would go and get her. Packed my best friend into my car and we drove 3 hours to pick her up.

3 weeks later I see a picture of Mason, lying under a tree. I ask the owners what breed he is, how old is he, can I have him? They say yes and drop him off to me about an hour later. Mason hops out of the cardboard box and I can literally see the fleas wriggling around on his little body.

(Myla) was found in a box with her 3 brothers on the side of the highway. The lady that found them couldn’t keep them all, so when I saw a photo of Myla I packed the car and drove the 6 hour round trip to pick her up.

The one giving her a cuddle was roaming a farm covered in fleas; his owners didn’t want him and were neglecting him. It’s taken him about 4 months to let us hold him, but now he’s the cuddle king.

It’s been 4 months and I’m only just starting to realize how much of a dark place I was actually in, and how these two distracted me to the point where I don’t have bad thoughts anymore. And if I do, I’ve got two little grey things depending on me for belly rubs – I can’t leave them.”

Meet Tinycat! This little buddy was so small that he was only 1/3 the size of a normal kitten.

At 12 days, Tinycat is 1/3 of a normal kitten his age
Tinycat had trouble holding onto while suckling, so they started feeding him kitten formula around the clock.

Tinycat cuddling with Bigcat. They are at the same age, but what a difference in size!

Tinycat was down with the flu. After a very, very hard night, the flu was very nearly gone.

“He finally recovered, but was down to 150 grams of weight. Before the illness, he had weighed 220 grams. …a big part of the difference was a MASSIVE poop,” Yaga said.

“A week later, he actually started growing and got playful! Tinycat can’t really vocalize, and BC likes to play rough – and he IS 3 times as big as TC.”

“Tinycat started to behave like a cat! Butt-wiggling, pouncing, stretching, arching his back.”

Those big eyes!

Tinycat wraps it around the straw to maximize the efficiency of sucking.

“All cat-sized toys are just too big for him. So we gave him a hair thingie while we think of something better.”

Tinycat now! Still very tiny, but he’s a bundle of energy!

Forum List

Back