Kitty Genovese rape and murder

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I remember watching the movie about this years ago, 34 witnesses, multiple attacks, and not one person picked up the phone. It was a general indictment of America, and specifically showed that New York is a terrible place.

But it isn't true.

At 3:15 on the morning of March 13, 1964, a 28-year-old bar manager named Kitty Genovese drove her red Fiat into the parking lot of the LIRR station by her Kew Gardens home.
As she walked home — she was only about “a hundred paces away” from the apartment she shared with her girlfriend, Mary Ann Zielonko — she heard a man’s footsteps close behind her. She ran, but the man, Winston Moseley, was too quick. He caught her, slammed her to the ground and stabbed her twice in the back. She screamed twice, once yelling, “Oh, God! I’ve been stabbed!”
Across the street, a man named Robert Mozer heard Genovese from his apartment. Looking out his seventh-floor window, he saw a man and a woman, sensed an *altercation — he couldn’t see exactly what was happening — and yelled out his window, “Leave that girl alone!”
Moseley later testified that Mozer’s action “frightened” him, sending him back to his car. At this point, Genovese was still alive, her wounds nonfatal.
Fourteen-year-old Michael Hoffman, who lived in the same building as Mozer, also heard the commotion. He looked out his window and told his father, Samuel, what he saw. Samuel called the police, and after three or four minutes on hold, he reached a police dispatcher. He related that a woman “got beat up and was staggering around,” and gave them the location.

Debunking the myth of Kitty Genovese | New York Post

How is this possible?
I once lived a few short blocks from where that murder took place. Contrary to common opinion, while Kew Gardens is a comparatively nice neighborhood, that part of Austin Street, a wide, two way thoroughfare lined with business premises interspersed with small apartment houses, is host to the Stratton Lounge, a big, very popular, very busy singles bar, located on the corner of Austin Street and Queens Boulevard -- right up the street from where Genovese was murdered. So there is no reason to expect the neighbors to find an occasional commotion, or a drunken lovers' quarrel, at all unusual and worthy of alarm.

Forum List

Back