Kids don't run as fast as their parents

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Generation slowpoke? Kids don't run as fast as parents once did, study finds - TODAY.com

Kids today aren’t running nearly as fast as their parents did at the same age. In fact, in a one-mile run, youngsters now are about 1.5 minutes slower on those laps than children 30 years ago, according to a new study.

Australian researchers analyzed 50 studies on running fitness conducted in 28 countries between 1964 and 2010. More than 25 million healthy kids, ages 9 to 17, were part of the studies, all of which gauged fitness in terms of how far kids could run in a set time-frame or how long it took to run a set distance. In the U.S. alone, researchers found that children’s cardiovascular endurance — one of the cornerstones of physical fitness — fell an average of 6 percent per decade between 1970 and 2000.

The reason is simple: they're carrying too much body fat, making it “more difficult [for them] to move through space,”

Last edited:
Shit I could have told you why.

Parents today are so afraid that their kids are going to be stolen that they are never allowed to play outside.

Parents are so scared their kids are going to get hurt that they don't let them climb trees.

The only exercise kids get these days is pushing a button on a game controller or a cell phone.

When the left wing NAMBLA is in town there isn't a Boy Scout who can run fast enough from the democrat pedophile base.

A one-mile run is a bogus test. It can only be done well if you have trained specifically for middle distance running. 30 years ago, most school athletic programs were still infatuated with the false promise of "aerobic fitness," which as we now know is almost pointless.

Very few professional athletes ever run distances as far as a mile when training. They are all doing intervals.

While it's true that kids today are less well-conditioned than previous generations, it's only because they are fat and lazy, so I wouldn't draw any profound conclusions from it.

A one-mile run is a bogus test. It can only be done well if you have trained specifically for middle distance running. 30 years ago, most school athletic programs were still infatuated with the false promise of "aerobic fitness," which as we now know is almost pointless.

Very few professional athletes ever run distances as far as a mile when training. They are all doing intervals.

While it's true that kids today are less well-conditioned than previous generations, it's only because they are fat and lazy, so I wouldn't draw any profound conclusions from it.

A minute and a half is a big difference in a mile run

Kids today can't even run the mile, they must waddle it

Two of the three of our kids are very conditioned athletes one runs long distances,the other racers motocross very successfully ,the oldest is the odd man out as far as that is concerned .She is the artist of the three. They are an exception,many are just fat and lazy.

Note to rightwinger:

Former Pittsburgh Steeler Hines Ward recently completed the Iron Man in Hawaii.

I heard him interviewed a few weeks ago, and he said that until he started training for this HE HAD NEVER RUN A MILE IN HIS LIFE!

Pro Football Player. Hall of Fame (probably). And he had never run a mile.

Amazing, but it illustrates that you can be in great shape without doing any distance running.

Note to rightwinger:

I heard him interviewed a few weeks ago, and he said that until he started training for this HE HAD NEVER RUN A MILE IN HIS LIFE!

Amazing, but it illustrates that you can be in great shape without doing any distance running.

Interesting.....but I don't think it correlates to kids today being in great shape

Parents today are so afraid that their kids are going to be stolen that they are never allowed to play outside.

Parents are so scared their kids are going to get hurt that they don't let them climb trees.

The only exercise kids get these days is pushing a button on a game controller or a cell phone.

^^^this

climbing the trees, the roofs, exploring the surroundings in a very wide range, not just two homes from your own distance( including the old houses and dangerous spaces) does not exist in the modern childhood. Unfortunately.

You hit the nail on the head. My gf constantly is telling me how much more dangerous it is for kids today and that is why parents must not let their kids run the streets. The fact is that more kids were abducted when we were young kids. The difference is that you only heard about it if it happened in your community because there was no Internet to tell us that some kid 3000 miles away was abducted five minutes after it happened.

I raised my kids on my own, because my wife died when they were only 4 and 6 years old. We lived in a safe community so I let them play outside with their friends all the time. They are very healthy today. That being said, I have been giving my oldest son a ton of shit because I beat him in the 5K that we ran yesterday. He quit running two years ago and had just started getting back into shape because he's going to join the Marine reserves and will be headed to basic training next summer, so I signed him up for our Thanksgiving 5K. I've only been running for a couple of years, as I started running after I quit smoking. I'm never going to let him live this down, because he swore there was no way I would beat him.

It's funny how much difference a couple of years makes. When he was running cross country as a sophomore. he ran under 18 minutes. Now he couldn't break 22, lol. Oh, I'm having a good time with this.

Two of the three of our kids are very conditioned athletes one runs long distances,the other racers motocross very successfully ,the oldest is the odd man out as far as that is concerned .She is the artist of the three. They are an exception,many are just fat and lazy.

Kids that are fat and lazy got that way because their parents allowed it to happen. That is the bottom line. If your kids are not fat and lazy, then that is a direct result of your parenting skills, which are just as important in a child's health and well being as they are in his/her educational abilities.

Note to rightwinger:

You are completely missing the point. Hines Ward may never have run a mile in his life, but if he had been told to, I'm sure he could have done it in exemplary fashion. If you are in good physical shape, you won't have a problem running a mile in a decent time whether you have trained for it or not. If you are a lazy fat ass slob, you won't be able to crawl through it. BTW, a mile is not a distance run. A 5k is a short distance run. Long distance runs are more than a 5k.

You hit the nail on the head. My gf constantly is telling me how much more dangerous it is for kids today and that is why parents must not let their kids run the streets. The fact is that more kids were abducted when we were young kids. The difference is that you only heard about it if it happened in your community because there was no Internet to tell us that some kid 3000 miles away was abducted five minutes after it happened.

I raised my kids on my own, because my wife died when they were only 4 and 6 years old. We lived in a safe community so I let them play outside with their friends all the time. They are very healthy today. That being said, I have been giving my oldest son a ton of shit because I beat him in the 5K that we ran yesterday. He quit running two years ago and had just started getting back into shape because he's going to join the Marine reserves and will be headed to basic training next summer, so I signed him up for our Thanksgiving 5K. I've only been running for a couple of years, as I started running after I quit smoking. I'm never going to let him live this down, because he swore there was no way I would beat him.

It's funny how much difference a couple of years makes. When he was running cross country as a sophomore. he ran under 18 minutes. Now he couldn't break 22, lol. Oh, I'm having a good time with this.

Lemme guess ...

You don't eat at McD's and other fat food joints, don't live on sugary sodas, chips, cookies. Not saying you never eat a french fry, just that you probably eat more real food.

And, my bet is that your kids aren't diabetic.

When I was a kid, Type 2 diabetes was unheard of and never found in kids. Now its so common in children, we don't even question it any more.

You must have had a hard time when your wife died. You have my sympathy. Sounds like you have a great relationship with them.

Good for you for quitting smoking. Far too many parents think its just fine to smoke around their children. Some here have even posted they would smoke around their asthmatic children. What's up with that much hate for one's own children?

Nobody's perfect but some people don't even bother to try.

When I was in the hosp for this surgery, channel surfing, came across some dance "reality" show. The contestants were maybe 5 young guys and one woman. The show followed them through rehearsals in prep for the show. Every day, 6 hours of true cardio workout for months on end. Then, their routine which was the same kind intense cardio workout.

Thing is, the woman dancer was grossly overweight.

HOW is that possible???

Another experience - while doing physical therapy, I used some of the same machines I have in my own work out room, except they all had calorie meters.

So, I'd be working my butt off (doncha wish that were really true!) and at the end, I'm worn out, ready for a cold drink and my feet up for a little while and the meter would read some ridiculous number like, "13 calories".

Last year, I quit drinking red wine because of the high calories. Figure maybe 140 cals a glass and I was feeling pretty pleased with myself for having cut out these "hidden" calories. The rest of our diet is close to perfect. As it happened, I had an appointment with my surgeon about 6 months after I dropped the wine from my diet. At that appointment, I had gained 6 pounds.

FWIW

Lemme guess ...

You don't eat at McD's and other fat food joints, don't live on sugary sodas, chips, cookies. Not saying you never eat a french fry, just that you probably eat more real food.

And, my bet is that your kids aren't diabetic.

When I was a kid, Type 2 diabetes was unheard of and never found in kids. Now its so common in children, we don't even question it any more.

You must have had a hard time when your wife died. You have my sympathy. Sounds like you have a great relationship with them.

Good for you for quitting smoking. Far too many parents think its just fine to smoke around their children. Some here have even posted they would smoke around their asthmatic children. What's up with that much hate for one's own children?

Nobody's perfect but some people don't even bother to try.

We eat fast food maybe once or twice per month. No, my kids are not diabetic, not even close. As for smoking, thank you. Even when I did smoke, I did not smoke in the house. I did not want my kids having to breath that themselves. I am happy to say that neither of them has taken up the habit, at least yet. While I cannot guarantee they will never start, I think the odds are in their favor for remaining smoke free.

Forum List

Back