Kid Looks Like A Genius With 8 + 5 Doesn’t Add Up To 10

Thank you, I took college algebra, I understand the question.

The question is can you get ten from adding 8 + 5.

You cannot.

Teacher didn't say anything about portions or fractions. Using omly what she said she was completely and irrefutably wrong. Insert words like portions might make the problem work, but that's not what the teacher did.
You're assuming you have all of the context of this worksheet. You know what they say about assuming right?

You can't add 8 and 5 and get 10.

Sorry.
The teacher did not add 8 and 5 and get 10. You are still failing to read the question properly.

8+5=13

how do I make 10 as a partial result while determining that 8+5=13

answer:
Because 2+3=5 and because addition is associative we can change the problem from 8+5=? to

(8+2)+3=?
adding 8+2 we get 10... thus 10 is the intermediate result
next we add 3 to 10
10+3=?
Adding 10+3 we get 13.

When someone says a number 2 is gonna multiplied by 5, first we use it to ... "it" refers to 2 not the result of 2x5. You are imagining "it" means the result. But the result was not mentioned. Therefore "it" refers to the target of the sentence which is 2 not the result which is not even implied in the sentence in question.
Psssst...you can not make 10 withe 8 + 5

Sorry.
The teacher did not add 8 and 5 and get 10. You are still failing to read the question properly.

8+5=13

answer:
Because 2+3=5 and because addition is associative we can change the problem from 8+5=? to

(8+2)+3=?
next we add 3 to 10
10+3=?
Adding 10+3 we get 13.

When someone says a number 2 is gonna multiplied by 5, first we use it to ... "it" refers to 2 not the result of 2x5. You are imagining "it" means the result. But the result was not mentioned. Therefore "it" refers to the target of the sentence which is 2 not the result which is not even implied in the sentence in question.
Psst you fail again... that's not what the question asked.

Sorry.

8+5=13

answer:

(8+2)+3=?
next we add 3 to 10
10+3=?
Adding 10+3 we get 13.

Yes it was.
How to make ten when adding 8+5

Applesauce? A CC math major, fantastic!

That particular teacher also has eleven digits at the end of its arms.

On the left hand, number 10, 9, 8, 7, 6. Five (5, libs) on the right hand; 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Six (6, libs) plus five (5) makes eleven (11).

You can't make ten when adding 8 and 5.

You can make ten adding 8 and 2.
Or 5 and 5.

But 8 and 2 or 5 and 5 are not the same as 8 and 5.

8 and 2 is not equal to (are you familiar with that term?) 8 and 5.

Sorry.

8+5=13

answer:

(8+2)+3=?
next we add 3 to 10
10+3=?
Adding 10+3 we get 13.

Yes it was.
How to make ten when adding 8+5

Applesauce? A CC math major, fantastic!
Nope that's not the question either. Can you discern the difference between the word "tell" and the word "how"?

CC math major? Nope... I received my BS in math and engineering back in 85. The difference between me and you is I'm not assuming the teacher's an idiot.

Kid Looks Like a Genius with Matter-of-Fact Retort Why Common Core Math Problem 8 5 Doesn 8217 t Add Up

Screen-Shot-2014-09-29-at-12.20.59-PM.jpg

So who’s right? The educators who insist on making the fundamentals of mathematics as complex as a Rubik’s cube, or the kid who probably has secret access to his mom’s old flashcards and sees this as a foolish waste of time?

Then add 3?!?!?

I can make 10 while adding 8+5... one finger, two fingers, three fingers, four fingers, five fingers High FIVE!.... six fingers, seven fingers, eight fingers, nine fingers .... TEN FINGERS THAT MAKES TEN, GIVE ME SKIN!.. take shoes off,... ten fingers and one toe, ten fingers and two toes, ten fingers and three toes. See I can make ten fingers and 3 toes.

Sorry, that method discriminates against the unfortunate children who are digitally challenged and have six fingers or toes instead of five.
Sigh... ok

Long math:
Code:
+ 5
---

Step 1:
1 (carry the 1)
+ 5
---

Step 2:
+ 5
-----
  3 +
10 (bring it down)

Step 3 add it up:
= 13.
carry the one - i.e. make ten. only instead of just saying that the kid will understand what that actually means. it'll make more difficult math concepts easier to understand down the road.

Here's what the kid should have done.

Bisect the numeral 8. Take the vertical line component in numeral 5 and extend it and then discard the remainder. Transpose the digits.

That's how you arrive at 10 by using the numbers 8 and 5.

when properly taught this kid could tell you how 1+1 = 10, and i doubt many here could do the same.

Here's what the kid should have done.

Bisect the numeral 8. Take the vertical line component in numeral 5 and extend it and then discard the remainder. Transpose the digits.

That's how you arrive at 10 by using the numbers 8 and 5.
Graphically brilliant!

Forum List

Back