Kid Looks Like A Genius With 8 + 5 Doesn’t Add Up To 10

R.D.

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2011
Kid Looks Like a Genius with Matter-of-Fact Retort Why Common Core Math Problem 8 5 Doesn 8217 t Add Up

Screen-Shot-2014-09-29-at-12.20.59-PM.jpg

So who’s right? The educators who insist on making the fundamentals of mathematics as complex as a Rubik’s cube, or the kid who probably has secret access to his mom’s old flashcards and sees this as a foolish waste of time?

Then add 3?!?!?

I remember memorizing the addition and multiplication tables. Made later math a whole lot easier because I didn't have to stop and figure out what 8 + 5 equals.

Kid Looks Like a Genius with Matter-of-Fact Retort Why Common Core Math Problem 8 5 Doesn 8217 t Add Up

So who’s right? The educators who insist on making the fundamentals of mathematics as complex as a Rubik’s cube, or the kid who probably has secret access to his mom’s old flashcards and sees this as a foolish waste of time?

Then add 3?!?!?

I can make 10 while adding 8+5... one finger, two fingers, three fingers, four fingers, five fingers High FIVE!.... six fingers, seven fingers, eight fingers, nine fingers .... TEN FINGERS THAT MAKES TEN, GIVE ME SKIN!.. take shoes off,... ten fingers and one toe, ten fingers and two toes, ten fingers and three toes. See I can make ten fingers and 3 toes.

Then add 3?!?!?

I can make 10 while adding 8+5... one finger, two fingers, three fingers, four fingers, five fingers High FIVE!.... six fingers, seven fingers, eight fingers, nine fingers .... TEN FINGERS THAT MAKES TEN, GIVE ME SKIN!.. take shoes off,... ten fingers and one toe, ten fingers and two toes, ten fingers and three toes. See I can make ten fingers and 3 toes.

Sorry, that method discriminates against the unfortunate children who are digitally challenged and have six fingers or toes instead of five.

Then add 3?!?!?

Sorry, that method discriminates against the unfortunate children who are digitally challenged and have six fingers or toes instead of five.
Sigh... ok

Long math:
Code:
+ 5
---

Step 1:
 1 (carry the 1)
+ 5
---

Step 2:
+ 5
-----
  3 +
 10 (bring it down)

Step 3 add it up:
= 13.

I remember memorizing the addition and multiplication tables. Made later math a whole lot easier because I didn't have to stop and figure out what 8 + 5 equals.

Manomanomanoman. My heart aches for these kids when it's time to learn the complicated mad math skills to learn 8 x 5

Who cares about that number stuff. Math is supposed to be hard, does this kid emote in the proper way? Is he sensitive to all issues? Does he use the correct language as decided by his overlords? Can he repeat with militaristic precision the talking points of the chosen political class? Can he spot the real evils of today with pinpoint precision? Math is for computers, what this kid needs to learn is to say the correct things (and convince your betters that you mean it) and he can succeed with out knowing how to add. It's better that way for all of us.

Clearly this kid is a subversive. He needs to made to understand that 1+1 = whatever the STATE decides.

I say it's excellent preparation for REAL LIFE.

Your Employer will give you two paychecks every year, one for $8,000 and another for $5,000.

How did you only make $10,000 that year?

:(

Clearly this kid is a subversive. He needs to made to understand that 1+1 = whatever the STATE decides.

Your Employer will give you two paychecks every year, one for $8,000 and another for $5,000.

Taxes!!! SS and all that other stuff that government says is good fer ya, so bend over and take your spankin like a good little student.

Are you trying to unseat Moonglow? :rolleyes:

I thought my post was relevant.

:cheeky-smiley-018:

Common Core is inane.

If you are traveling down the road and need to make a right turn what should you do? Common Core tells them - Don't make a right!! You should make 2 left turns, a U-turn, another U-turn, then one more left!! See how easy that was?

I thought my post was relevant.

:cheeky-smiley-018:

Sorry. In that case who ever Robin is she quite affectionate and the tax question begs for more information :)

Then add 3?!?!?

Reminds me of jokes my Stepfather used to tell involving arithmetic and money where you wind up deliberately short-changing people. :)

2 from 5 is 3 btw, not 2. Plus 8 is 11 plus 3 is 14, not 10.

Forum List

Back