Kid Looks Like A Genius With 8 + 5 Doesn’t Add Up To 10

If I have eight dollars in one pocket and five dollars in the other, do I have enough to buy something for $10?

Does it really take 187 posts to figure out that "arithmetic" is a base ten number system, and that if you learn the algorithm, a parallel algorithm will work in other base systems, like binary or base 12, which are also in common use?

No...they are still stuck on 8 + 5 does not equal 10

Common core does not teach kids to add

Does it really take 187 posts to figure out that "arithmetic" is a base ten number system, and that if you learn the algorithm, a parallel algorithm will work in other base systems, like binary or base 12, which are also in common use?

They can't even figure out what the question is.

LOL.

I was doing base 12, base 14, and so on when I was in the 5th grade, in the mid-70s, long before common core. But that's all Obama's fault.

Righties really lack any zeal for learning. They don't understand that there is more than one way to learn something.

Now, I am all for flashcards - I use them with my daughter. But then I also find creative ways to get her to think anew about numbers with games in the car.

You see, Righties still haven't grasped that with such an easy question about how to make 8 + 5 = 10, the questioners are getting children to make their own equations and along the way, they will also have provided their own proof and along the way, they will have made their own mental flashcard. But fuck that, why should kids learn when Righties can bellyache about gubmint interference and ZOG and 666 and all that cool stuff?

Common Core is inane.

If you are traveling down the road and need to make a right turn what should you do? Common Core tells them - Don't make a right!! You should make 2 left turns, a U-turn, another U-turn, then one more left!! See how easy that was?

OK so THAT's who designed my GPS!
I was wondering why it always does that, Thanks!

Sigh... ok

Long math:
Code:
+ 5
---

Step 1:
1 (carry the 1)
+ 5
---

Step 2:
+ 5
-----
  3 +
10 (bring it down)

Step 3 add it up:
= 13.

I think RKMB's post explains what the POINT of this exercise was about:
how to add by 10's and separate the one's before adding those together.

The question was poorly worded, and not suited for "explaining in writing" as the teacher tried as well.

There is no substitute for direct TWO-WAY interaction between teachers and students ONE on ONE,
and not rely on "overexplaining" in textbooks or tests to convey these concepts in a "one way" format as here.

Clearly this requires some interaction and is not a 2D process.

We need to lower the student-teacher ratio closer to 10:1 and quit
trying to substitute some universal "catch-all" curricula for effective teaching and interaction with students.

When we "get smart" and quit wasting 50K a year per person to be warehoused in prisons,
we'll have plenty of money to hire and train enough competent caring teachers to work "one on one"
to make sure EACH kid stays connected and doesn't give up, fall through the cracks, and end up on welfare or in prisons. Duh!

LOL.

I was doing base 12, base 14, and so on when I was in the 5th grade, in the mid-70s, long before common core. But that's all Obama's fault.

Righties really lack any zeal for learning. They don't understand that there is more than one way to learn something.

Now, I am all for flashcards - I use them with my daughter. But then I also find creative ways to get her to think anew about numbers with games in the car.

You see, Righties still haven't grasped that with such an easy question about how to make 8 + 5 = 10, the questioners are getting children to make their own equations and along the way, they will also have provided their own proof and along the way, they will have made their own mental flashcard. But fuck that, why should kids learn when Righties can bellyache about gubmint interference and ZOG and 666 and all that cool stuff?
It's not a left/right thing, dumb ass. I'm a math major and I'm a conservative. The problem with people like you is they see one or two dumb asses and they assume those dumb asses represent an entire group.

Sigh... ok

Long math:
Code:
+ 5
---

Step 1:
1 (carry the 1)
+ 5
---

Step 2:
+ 5
-----
  3 +
10 (bring it down)

Step 3 add it up:
= 13.

I think RKMB's post explains what the POINT of this exercise was about:
how to add by 10's and separate the one's before adding those together.

The question was poorly worded, and not suited for "explaining in writing" as the teacher tried as well.

There is no substitute for direct TWO-WAY interaction between teachers and students ONE on ONE,
and not rely on "overexplaining" in textbooks or tests to convey these concepts in a "one way" format as here.

Clearly this requires some interaction and is not a 2D process.

We need to lower the student-teacher ratio closer to 10:1 and quit
trying to substitute some universal "catch-all" curricula for effective teaching and interaction with students.

When we "get smart" and quit wasting 50K a year per person to be warehoused in prisons,
we'll have plenty of money to hire and train enough competent caring teachers to work "one on one"
to make sure EACH kid stays connected and doesn't give up, fall through the cracks, and end up on welfare or in prisons. Duh!
The question was not poorly worded if you know what "make 10" means. This is another case of we need to have a common understanding of terms before having a conversation. Otherwise we can't talk to each other without getting angry and calling each other stupid. You are correct that I pointed to "carry the ten" language to try to spark a lightbulb with some of the you can't "make ten" from 8+5 crowd. I was hoping that by showing them how they were taught to carry the ten that they would understand long division makes ten... thus this new cc math is really just another way to explain long addition.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back