Keystone Pipeline Benefits?

Hooray! Now we have access to the most expensive imported oil in the world. Yippie! The price of crude oil will have to stay above $80 a barrel for Canadian oil to be profitable.....huzzah!
Hit_The_Nail_On_The_Head.gif

Thread recap-

nominal benefits, if any at all

potentially disastrous downside given predictable spills and the increase in C02 production due to requiring more energy use to extract usable material from the sand.
LOL ya one could easily see where a simpleton hack like yourself ,would come to that conclusion,

The benefits are beyond your pay grade and basic knowledge,give it up.

"construction jobs" assembling "imported" pipes :talktothehand:

Oh so now any infrastructure job should only be built with no imported raw materials or finished products?

Well you can kiss the auto industry good bye Comrade Dot.

:lol:

By the way, those union workers made out like bandits. Why do you hate union workers Comrade Dot?

From my understanding is that the keystone pipeline is solely about helping Canada get to the gulf and ship oil out the US and has nothing to do with: 1. Getting the US more oil (like many like myself were led to believe) and 2. Not about producing and sending any of our oil anywhere.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but other than the over inflated (yes the right lies about the number of jobs that are created, just like the left does) temporary jobs, what is the big benefit to the US that we continue fight back and forth over.

If it truly was about getting more Canadian oil to the stated, then I am for it. It should more forward, but if it's solely about getting Canadian oil to the gulf, then I have no idea why (other then generous kickbacks), whey the Republicans are pushing for this so hard!

keystone-pipeline-map-167.jpg

Adding to our pipeline network will also help our fracked oil get to market, without using more dangerous train cars or trucks.
It will cost thousands of jobs from truck drivers to the supporting industries. And the mess from burst pipelines will devastate drinking water and farmlands. And all for a measly 35 permanent jobs.
You neen to just shut up,pumping out lie after lie.
hey dip shit they are building a new bridge down the road,when it done there will be NO jobs left.
Construction jobs are temporary from the very beginning,and there will be many more than just 35 jobs,but so what if that is true,those 35 will be employed,unlike yourself.

Hooray! Now we have access to the most expensive imported oil in the world. Yippie! The price of crude oil will have to stay above $80 a barrel for Canadian oil to be profitable.....huzzah!

Well isn't Discombobulated either a liar or an ignorant asshole. You've been buying cunuck crude for decades.

This is not a "new access". How stupid or ignorant are you commies?

Oh and by the way it's $63.00 for the oil sands. I put up a chart already.

Man you guys are ignorant fools.

The $5.3-billion Keystone XL Pipeline Project is the largest infrastructure project currently proposed in the United States. Construction of the 1,179-mile pipeline will require 9,000 skilled American workers. The project will provide jobs for welders, mechanics, electricians, pipefitters, laborers, safety coordinators, heavy equipment operators and other workers who rely on large construction projects for their livelihoods.

In addition to construction jobs, an estimated 7,000 U.S. jobs are being supported in manufacturing the steel pipe and the thousands of fittings, valves, pumps and control devices required for a major oil pipeline.

TransCanada has contracts with more than 50 suppliers across the U.S., including companies in Texas, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Indiana, Georgia, Maryland, New York, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Ohio, Arkansas, Kansas, California and Pennsylvania.

TransCanada employed 4,844 Americans in Oklahoma and Texas on construction of the $2.3-billion Gulf Coast Pipeline Project, which is expected to be complete by the end of this year.

Construction and development of the Keystone XL and Gulf Coast Pipeline Projects is anticipated to generate $20 billion in economic impact in the United States, including $99 million in local government revenues and $486 million in state government revenues during construction.

The pipelines will also generate an estimated $5 billion in additional property taxes during their operational life.

The Canadian Energy Research Institute predicts that Keystone XL will add $172 billion to America’s gross domestic product by 2035 and will create an additional 1.8 million person-years of employment in the United States over the next 22 years.

Way more at link.

Jobs Economic Benefits Keystone XL Pipeline

Hooray.....thousands of temporary unsustainable jobs. Another victory for the American people.

Construction work by its very nature is temporary. Give your head a shake.

Your own State Department projects 42,000 jobs.

Keystone XL is the definition of shovel-ready infrastructure project. Almost overnight, Keystone XL could put 9,000 hard-working American men and women directly to work. The U.S. State Department’s Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (PDF, 4 MB) found that the project would support more than 42,000 direct and indirect jobs nationwide.

You seriously quoted Keystone's website as a legitimate source.. A special type of Dumb...

3 key Keystone XL questions answered PolitiFact

How many jobs will the Keystone XL pipeline create?

Despite Keystone XL supporters waxing lyrical about the prospect of thousands of new jobs, the employment picture isn’t so rosy. In short, the State Department expects that the project would only result in only a few permanent jobs that last past construction.

Many proponents, like TransCanada CEO Russ Girling, say the project will create 42,000 jobs. Girling said these jobs would be "ongoing, enduring," and we rated that claim False.

The State Department report does puts the total number of jobs at 42,100 -- but the definition of a job in this sense is a position filled for one year. This total reflects both jobs created directly as a result of construction and manufacturing for the pipeline -- about 3,900 annual positions over two years -- as well as spin-off jobs supported by construction workers who purchase materials for the project or spend their wages in the economy. Much of the construction work would come in four- or or eight-month stretches.

House Speaker Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, said "The nearly six-year delay in approving Keystone is costing Americans more than 100,000 jobs." He was citing a study that experts said was flawed and that TransCanada, said was "no longer relevant." We rated that statement False.

In saying the number of jobs the project would create are insignificant, Obama said the "most realistic estimates… are maybe 2,000 jobs during the construction of the pipeline." Based on the State Department report, we also rated that claim False.

The construction phase, though, is expected to take only one to two years. After construction, the pipeline would employ a lesser number, primarily for maintenance. The total number of long-term jobs: about 50.

The $5.3-billion Keystone XL Pipeline Project is the largest infrastructure project currently proposed in the United States. Construction of the 1,179-mile pipeline will require 9,000 skilled American workers. The project will provide jobs for welders, mechanics, electricians, pipefitters, laborers, safety coordinators, heavy equipment operators and other workers who rely on large construction projects for their livelihoods.

In addition to construction jobs, an estimated 7,000 U.S. jobs are being supported in manufacturing the steel pipe and the thousands of fittings, valves, pumps and control devices required for a major oil pipeline.

TransCanada has contracts with more than 50 suppliers across the U.S., including companies in Texas, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Indiana, Georgia, Maryland, New York, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Ohio, Arkansas, Kansas, California and Pennsylvania.

TransCanada employed 4,844 Americans in Oklahoma and Texas on construction of the $2.3-billion Gulf Coast Pipeline Project, which is expected to be complete by the end of this year.

Construction and development of the Keystone XL and Gulf Coast Pipeline Projects is anticipated to generate $20 billion in economic impact in the United States, including $99 million in local government revenues and $486 million in state government revenues during construction.

The pipelines will also generate an estimated $5 billion in additional property taxes during their operational life.

The Canadian Energy Research Institute predicts that Keystone XL will add $172 billion to America’s gross domestic product by 2035 and will create an additional 1.8 million person-years of employment in the United States over the next 22 years.

Way more at link.

Hooray.....thousands of temporary unsustainable jobs. Another victory for the American people.

Construction work by its very nature is temporary. Give your head a shake.

Your own State Department projects 42,000 jobs.

Keystone XL is the definition of shovel-ready infrastructure project. Almost overnight, Keystone XL could put 9,000 hard-working American men and women directly to work. The U.S. State Department’s Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (PDF, 4 MB) found that the project would support more than 42,000 direct and indirect jobs nationwide.

So again no tangible sustained benefits there either.
Once again like talking to a stone

I think we should all be very thankful for a pipeline that carries foreign oil through our land so it can be sold on the global market.

Just like Afghanistan...

16 hours. No reply? :dunno:

I've see this claim thrown around a lot as well, and I've never been able to find a decent source. What I have found is that about half of the refined product will likely be sold overseas. Which is not fantastic, but seems reasonable?

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, refineries in PADD 3 (called the Gulf Coast refineries district) produced 6.8 million bpd of refined product in August – the latest month data is available. However, some of these refineries are located in West Texas, New Mexico,Northern Louisiana and Arkansas, places too far inland to have access to the water for loading tankers. Coastal refineries in Texas and Louisiana produced about 6 million bpd of refined product, of which they exported 3.1 million bpd last month – over half of their production.

Fact Checking on Keystone XL and Exports - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International
Thank you! Still haven't gotten my answer from what's-his-name.

We export about 2-1/2 million barrels/month of "Finished Petroleum Products".

U.S. Exports of Crude Oil and Petroleum Products

This nonsense about the KXL crudes being exported is bullshit.

This argument that all the oil from Alberta will be exported is so bogus.

One thing that has been sticking in my craw about this argument though is what other raw material that is used in the production of a product has anyone ever demanded that a finished product cannot be exported?

Gibson guitars imports wood for their factories. Has anyone ever demanded that those guitars can never be exported?

Thousands of US companies import raw material and produce a product. Are there any restrictions that forbid those companies from selling a finished product to any other country?

I haven't found any yet.

Of course the diluted bitumen will not be exported. That's why the line is ending at refineries instead of a port. . It's useless without refining. However the large majority of finished products will be exported.
Report Exporting Energy Security Keystone XL Exposed - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International
Their new 75 million dollar dock, and their taking applications for dock workers should give you some hint of what their plans are.
New oil dock brings 75 million to Port Arthur - Beaumont Enterprise
Valero is a large refinery, and it's almost impossible to live near there, which I do, without knowing lots of refinery workers. The planned export increases are common knowledge.

Isn't it up to your refineries to decide whether or not to export the refined oil?

Keystone is just a pipeline. Just a transportation device for crude. Keystone is not an oil company. Canada is your number one supplier of oil. You need the supplies because you do not produce enough on your own.

It's coming to the Gulf and other refineries no matter what that asshole in the White House does or doesn't do.

XL is strictly a secondary northern leg. Keystone is transporting oil from Alberta to the Gulf as we post. The southern leg was finished and started pumping from Cushing to the Gulf since last year.

If Obama vetoes the northern leg it will be strictly symbolic because the crude is flowing via the pipelines and via Warren Buffets Santa Fe railway and via transport truck.

This is all a giant dog and pony show. It's bullshit.
Of course the refinery owners will decide where to sell it. Oddly, they are the majority owners of the line, and the mining operations in Canada. Overseas sales will produce much more profit because that takes advantage of "free trade zones" which the refineries are all classified as. Even Valero admits it is an export line. Don't you think it is telling that ALL the original claims for this line... employment, lower prices for our gas, etc..... have been proven to be all lies? I probably wouldn't be so opposed to the completion of that line if it wouldn't have presented so many lies to justify it from the start.

Thank you! Still haven't gotten my answer from what's-his-name.

We export about 2-1/2 million barrels/month of "Finished Petroleum Products".

U.S. Exports of Crude Oil and Petroleum Products

This nonsense about the KXL crudes being exported is bullshit.

One thing that has been sticking in my craw about this argument though is what other raw material that is used in the production of a product has anyone ever demanded that a finished product cannot be exported?

Gibson guitars imports wood for their factories. Has anyone ever demanded that those guitars can never be exported?

Thousands of US companies import raw material and produce a product. Are there any restrictions that forbid those companies from selling a finished product to any other country?

I haven't found any yet.

Of course the diluted bitumen will not be exported. That's why the line is ending at refineries instead of a port. . It's useless without refining. However the large majority of finished products will be exported.
Report Exporting Energy Security Keystone XL Exposed - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International
Their new 75 million dollar dock, and their taking applications for dock workers should give you some hint of what their plans are.
Valero is a large refinery, and it's almost impossible to live near there, which I do, without knowing lots of refinery workers. The planned export increases are common knowledge.
We've been exporting about 2.5 million barrels/month of refined product for years. What is there to "expose"?

Why the hell do we export corn, beans, wheat, etc? Oh- let's keep all of our agricultural production here in the U.S. so we can drive down food prices! :lol: :slap:

The new docks are for the expected huge increase in product exports. Those refineries have been recently upgraded specifically to be able to handle Bitumen from Canada. The plan was always to refine it here, in a free trade zone (Valero refinery is a free trade zone, they don't have to pay taxes for any value increase from refining) and to ship it out to the world market. Anything from Canada will not be ours, and will do nothing but make a fortune for oil companies. Very few jobs no increase of gas available to us, and nothing for us but the liability of another line that might leak.

You really don't get it do you? Canada has been your number one supplier for a decade.

You use millions of barrels of canuck crude every day of your freaking lives in the US because you cannot produce enough of your own.

The bulk of crude from Alberta is used domestically. Fact.

The Keystone is finished Bulldog. From Alberta to the Gulf. Fact.

It is just a freaking pipeline. It also carries US crude. Fact.

XL is just the northern leg. A secondary line that would pick up crude from the Bakkens. Fact.

Geeze louise how hard is it to realize that this is all bullshit that is being put out there for a dog and pony show that makes no sense whatsoever.

What the Keystone can't handle is coming to the Gulf by rail. Warren Buffet is making a killing and even he backs the building of the Keystone. Interview on CNN. Fact.

Here ya go! The Keystone I, II, III are complete.

220px-Keystone-pipeline-route.png

And what doesn't come via the Keystone comes by rail and truck.
The crude is coming to the refineries. What's to argue about?
You are correct. There is no reason to argue about it. It's not needed, it does nothing to help us, and it's a potential ecological disaster.

Benefits ....

Canada gets their gunk oil transported to an American POE and makes billions of dollars exporting it

Boehner makes tons of $$ on his pipeline investments

Suadi's make tons of $$ Refining Canadian gunk oil

India sells Canada 50% of the pipe being used

50 jobs are created long term.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

At first I thought I could have honest discussions with the anti Keystone posters.

NAH! Not when all the so called antis are liars, fools, morons or ignorant.

Even though you eco weenies have put up all your lying arguments you can't win.

And now you all you are doing is repeating your lies over and over and over.

The oil is coming via Keystone which is finished, rail (Warren Buffet's making a killing) and truck.

Losers.

:lmao:

I haven't found any yet.

We've been exporting about 2.5 million barrels/month of refined product for years. What is there to "expose"?

Why the hell do we export corn, beans, wheat, etc? Oh- let's keep all of our agricultural production here in the U.S. so we can drive down food prices! :lol: :slap:

The new docks are for the expected huge increase in product exports. Those refineries have been recently upgraded specifically to be able to handle Bitumen from Canada. The plan was always to refine it here, in a free trade zone (Valero refinery is a free trade zone, they don't have to pay taxes for any value increase from refining) and to ship it out to the world market. Anything from Canada will not be ours, and will do nothing but make a fortune for oil companies. Very few jobs no increase of gas available to us, and nothing for us but the liability of another line that might leak.

You really don't get it do you? Canada has been your number one supplier for a decade.

You use millions of barrels of canuck crude every day of your freaking lives in the US because you cannot produce enough of your own.

XL is just the northern leg. A secondary line that would pick up crude from the Bakkens. Fact.

Geeze louise how hard is it to realize that this is all bullshit that is being put out there for a dog and pony show that makes no sense whatsoever.

What the Keystone can't handle is coming to the Gulf by rail. Warren Buffet is making a killing and even he backs the building of the Keystone. Interview on CNN. Fact.

You are correct. There is no reason to argue about it. It's not needed, it does nothing to help us, and it's a potential ecological disaster.

Hey Bulldog! Did you protest the Alberta Clipper that was just finished? Or Southern Lights that was just finished?

Or Keystone I, II, II or the lateral 3b)?

Where were you and Dot, Siete, Darryl Hannah, Niel Young and the asshole in the White House for all those other pipelines?

Benefits ....

Canada gets their gunk oil transported to an American POE and makes billions of dollars exporting it

Boehner makes tons of $$ on his pipeline investments

Suadi's make tons of $$ Refining Canadian gunk oil

India sells Canada 50% of the pipe being used

50 jobs are created long term.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Too bad so sad.

:)

The pipeline from Hardisty to the Gulf is finished. Buffet's rail company is transporting said gunk as we post.

And you anti Keystone posters look like fools. The XL would have benefited North Dakota and Montana but left wing commies like you and Dot don't give a shit about "fly over" country.

Pompous assholes you are..

Hey Bulldog! Did you protest the Alberta Clipper that was just finished? Or Southern Lights that was just finished?

Or Keystone I, II, II or the lateral 3b)?

Where were you and Dot, Siete, Darryl Hannah, Niel Young and the asshole in the White House for all those other pipelines?
We're talking about this particular line. You know.......the only one republicans made into a national question by making so many outrageous claims about, and all those claims were lies?

There's not much in it for the U.S.

TransCanada already said the refined products will not be sold in the U.S.

It's not the end of the world - if the folks on the route are satisfied with their lease/sale agreement, spill clean-up plans, and plans to put things back after the pipeline is no longer needed, then who am I to tell them no?

I'm just pissed about the $1B U.S. taxpayers gave the refineries to help them re-tool so they could handle this stuff.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back