Key Republicans Backing Health Reform

[

Are all Democrats for the people...NO. But in comparison to today's Republicans, they're Mother Teressa

That is like saying, "compared to Lucifer Adolf Hitler was a saint."

The parties are not all that different. The players are no different at all. I don't mean that to sound like I believe that people who get into politics are evil people. I simply mean that power leads to corruption and it takes a saint to avoid the corruption. On the other hand, a saint won't have anything to do with politics. Politics is corrupt and everyone of those men and women in Washington have been bit by the power.

Yes, I'm a cynic, but you will never convince me that any Democrat or Republican has the willpower to remain above the corruption that politics brings. That is the reason I am so adamently for term limits.

Immie

AGAIN...Ted Kennedy did... he always put people first... if anyone needed a champion, Kennedy was there... he never put profit or property before human beings...

Power is not alluring to pure minds.
Thomas Jefferson

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
Oscar Wilde

Are you claiming I'm a crook?

I do drive faster than the speed limit, but does that make me a crook?

Honestly, I would never consider entering politics because I believe that it is impossible to avoid the temptations that are thrown at them and that includes me. I don't fault them. I simply believe that they would have to be God himself to stay above the fray.
NOT AT ALL - I didn't mean to call anyone a crook. What I meant to say is that it is very difficult to wade through all the hyper-partisan noise to get to truth. It is easier to just throw up your hands and say no one politician is any better than another ...
But I strongly believe that there IS a difference and that it DOES matter - it may just be a matter of degree though.

No offense taken.

I've lost trust in our leaders. Having grown up Democrat and then seeing that the Democrats were gung ho for abortion, eugenics, euthaniasia and things that I believe to be evil, I switched to Republican. Well, after suffering throught the "Pro-life" antics of George Bush, I realized that paying lip service to a cause is nothing more than... well, paying lip service.

They really are not all that difference. They may "talk" a good game, but in the long run the corporate dollar will catch up with them. Every man and woman has a price. You simply have to be willing to pay it.

Immie

Not the 9 billion dollars a year from illegals
California's Illegal Aliens Cost Taxpayers Nearly $9 Billion A Year : Diggers Realm

Nor the green policies that the democrats and Arnie have pushed through, that are pushing out businesses and business growth in the great state.
Heliogenic Climate Change: Green policies are killing California

So you're using people's blogs to cite as sources, now? Nifty... and one of those blogs looks like it belongs to a sun-centric cult.... Nice.
Those of us who live in California know exactly what those blogs are talking about, and they are absolutely true.
Just look at what this states green policies that the Gov. fully supports have done to local farmers. They've devasted them, costing so many to shut down. All for the protection of what amounts to be a freakin' guppy. A guppy that can be raised in a friggin' aquarium.
Yeah, fuck the farmers and jobs. WE MUST PROTECT THOSE POOR GUPPY'S!
It's ludicrous.

AGAIN...Ted Kennedy did... he always put people first... if anyone needed a champion, Kennedy was there... he never put profit or property before human beings...

Thomas Jefferson

Oscar Wilde

I'm sorry you believe so highly in the man, Ted Kennedy and that you have lost your idol. As Meister said, you are blind. Blinded by your pure adoration of the man. Senator Kennedy was a man but nothing more than a man. Simply because you agree with his "politics" does not mean that he was not in it for himself.

Regarding the Jefferson quote, well, as I said, saints won't have anything to do with politics ie power.

I would have to disagree with Oscar Wilde. I know the value of many things including my integrity which is why politics is not for me. /cheers

Immie

Not the 9 billion dollars a year from illegals
California's Illegal Aliens Cost Taxpayers Nearly $9 Billion A Year : Diggers Realm

Nor the green policies that the democrats and Arnie have pushed through, that are pushing out businesses and business growth in the great state.
Heliogenic Climate Change: Green policies are killing California

So you're using people's blogs to cite as sources, now? Nifty... and one of those blogs looks like it belongs to a sun-centric cult.... Nice.
Those of us who live in California know exactly what those blogs are talking about, and they are absolutely true.
Just look at what this states green policies that the Gov. fully supports have done to local farmers. They've devasted them, costing so many to shut down. All for the protection of what amounts to be a freakin' guppy. A guppy that can be raised in a friggin' aquarium.
It's ludicrous.

Blogs. Where 'some' people get their news.
:lol::lol::lol:

Unles your name was "Mary Jo"...

Typical PEA brain response...

Translation: you have no response... so bring up an ACCIDENT...

ac⋅ci⋅dent
–noun
1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

ac⋅ci⋅dent
–noun
1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents.

:lol: Yeah everyone just needs to get past that little Manslaughter charge, or worse that should have been slapped on Teddy. See.... it's not an accident when a person has been drinking, BFGRN.

Thomas Jefferson

Oscar Wilde

I'm sorry you believe so highly in the man, Ted Kennedy and that you have lost your idol. As Meister said, you are blind. Blinded by your pure adoration of the man. Senator Kennedy was a man but nothing more than a man. Simply because you agree with his "politics" does not mean that he was not in it for himself.

Regarding the Jefferson quote, well, as I said, saints won't have anything to do with politics ie power.

I would have to disagree with Oscar Wilde. I know the value of many things including my integrity which is why politics is not for me. /cheers

Immie

I disagree... Ted Kennedy was just a man, not a saint...he had many flaws and foibles...we ALL do...BUT, the man worked to improve himself and overcome his flaws. AND, he always worked for the betterment of others, particularly the poor and those that DIDN'T have the means or the power to protect their interests...

He never became president, but as a public servant he LIVED up to Harry Truman's and his late brother's words...

"Harry Truman once said, 'There are 14 or 15 million Americans who have the resources to have representatives in Washington to protect their interests, and that the interests of the great mass of the other people - the 150 or 160 million - is the responsibility of the president of the United States, and I propose to fulfill it.'"
President John F. Kennedy

I'm so pleased with Arnold!!! He is the only Republican that I have ever voted for in my life.
I just didn't like the Democrat that ran against him, whose name I cannot even recall now.

Are you claiming I'm a crook?

I do drive faster than the speed limit, but does that make me a crook?

Honestly, I would never consider entering politics because I believe that it is impossible to avoid the temptations that are thrown at them and that includes me. I don't fault them. I simply believe that they would have to be God himself to stay above the fray.
NOT AT ALL - I didn't mean to call anyone a crook. What I meant to say is that it is very difficult to wade through all the hyper-partisan noise to get to truth. It is easier to just throw up your hands and say no one politician is any better than another ...
But I strongly believe that there IS a difference and that it DOES matter - it may just be a matter of degree though.

No offense taken.

I've lost trust in our leaders. Having grown up Democrat and then seeing that the Democrats were gung ho for abortion, eugenics, euthaniasia and things that I believe to be evil, I switched to Republican. Well, after suffering throught the "Pro-life" antics of George Bush, I realized that paying lip service to a cause is nothing more than... well, paying lip service.

They really are not all that difference. They may "talk" a good game, but in the long run the corporate dollar will catch up with them. Every man and woman has a price. You simply have to be willing to pay it.

Immie

I think I understand where you are coming from - but I think you may have placed your faith in party labels. I agree that is a sure way to dissappintment imho. But I do think that there are individuals who will represent us better than others.

ac⋅ci⋅dent
–noun

Typical Kennedy Butt-Boy response to defend his master....

I pity you disgusting freaks....

ac⋅ci⋅dent
–noun

Ted Acted criminally. You should stick to that Kool-Aid and Jello diet. You can't handle the truth.

The party
On July 18, 1969, Ted Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick, a small island connected via ferry to the town of Edgartown on the adjoining larger island of Martha's Vineyard. The party was a reunion for a group of six women, including Kopechne, known as the "boiler-room girls",[1] who had served in his brother Robert's 1968 presidential campaign. Also present were Joseph Gargan, Ted Kennedy's cousin; Paul Markham, a school friend of Gargan's who would become United States Attorney for Massachusetts under the patronage of the Kennedys;[2] Charles Tretter, an attorney; Raymond La Rosa; and John Crimmins, Ted Kennedy's part-time driver. Kennedy was also competing in the Edgartown Yacht Club Regatta, a sailing competition which was taking place over several days.

According to his own testimony at the inquest into Kopechne's death, Kennedy left the party at "approximately 11:15 p.m." He said that when he announced that he was about to leave, Kopechne told him "that she was desirous of leaving, if I would be kind enough to drop her back at her hotel." Kennedy then requested the keys to his car from his chauffeur, Crimmins. Asked why he did not have his chauffeur drive them both, Kennedy explained that Crimmins along with some other guests "were concluding their meal, enjoying the fellowship and it didn't appear to me necessary to require him to bring me back to Edgartown".[3] Kopechne told no one that she was leaving with Kennedy, and left her purse and hotel key at the party.[4]

[edit] After the party
Christopher "Huck" Look was a deputy sheriff working as a special police officer at the Edgartown regatta dance that night. At 12:30 am he left the dance, crossed over to Chappaquiddick in the yacht club's launch, got into his parked car and drove home. He testified that between 12:30 and 12:45 am he had seen a dark car containing a man driving and a woman in the front seat approaching the intersection with Dike Road. The car had gone first onto the private Cemetery Road and stopped there. Thinking that the occupants of the car might be lost, Look had gotten out of his car and walked towards it. When he was 25 to 30 feet away, the car started backing up towards him. When Look called out to offer his help, the car took off down Dike Road in a cloud of dust.[5] Look recalled that the car's license plate began with an "L" and contained the number "7" twice, both details true of Kennedy's 1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88.

The Dike Bridge, Martha's Vineyard, pictured here in 2008 with guardrail.According to his inquest testimony, Kennedy made a wrong turn onto Dike Road, an unlit dirt road that led to Dike Bridge (also spelled Dyke Bridge). Dike Road was unpaved, but Kennedy, driving at "approximately twenty miles an hour", took "no particular notice" of this fact, and did not realize that he was no longer headed towards the ferry landing.[6] Dike Bridge was a wooden bridge angled obliquely to the road with no guardrail. A fraction of a second before he reached the bridge, Kennedy applied his brakes; he then drove over the side of the bridge. The car plunged into tide-swept Poucha Pond (at that location a channel) and came to rest upside-down underwater. Kennedy later recalled that he was able to swim free of the vehicle, but Kopechne was not. Kennedy claimed at the inquest that he called Kopechne's name several times from the shore, then tried to swim down to reach her seven or eight times, then rested on the bank for around fifteen minutes before returning on foot to Lawrence Cottage, where the party attended by Kopechne and other "Boiler Room Girls" had occurred. Kennedy denied seeing any house with a light on during his journey back to Lawrence Cottage.[7]

"Dike House" along Dike Road.In addition to the working telephone at the Lawrence Cottage, according to one commentator, his route back to the cottage would have taken him past four houses from which he could have telephoned and summoned help; however, he did not do so.[8] The first of those houses, referred to as "Dike House", was 150 yards away from the bridge, and was occupied by Sylvia Malm and her family at the time of the incident. Malm later stated that she had left a light on at the residence when she retired for that evening.[9]

According to Kennedy's testimony, Gargan and party co-host Paul Markham then returned to the waterway with Kennedy to try to rescue Kopechne. Both of the other men also tried to dive into the water and rescue Kopechne multiple times.[1] When their efforts to rescue Kopechne failed, Kennedy testified, Gargan and Markham drove with Kennedy to the ferry landing, both insisting multiple times that the accident had to be reported to the authorities.[10] According to Markham's testimony Kennedy was sobbing and on the verge of breaking down.[11] Kennedy went on to testify that " had full intention of reporting it. And I mentioned to Gargan and Markham something like, 'You take care of the other girls; I will take care of the accident!'—that is what I said and I dove into the water".[10] Kennedy had already told Gargan and Markham not to tell the other women anything about the incident "ecause I felt strongly that if these girls were notified that an accident had taken place and Mary Jo had, in fact, drowned, that it would only be a matter of seconds before all of those girls, who were long and dear friends of Mary Jo's, would go to the scene of the accident and enter the water with, I felt, a good chance that some serious mishap might have occurred to any one of them".[12] Gargan and Markam would testify that they assumed that Kennedy was going to inform the authorities once he got back to Edgartown, and thus did not do so themselves.[2]

According to his own testimony, Kennedy swam across the 500-foot channel, back to Edgartown and returned to his hotel room, where he removed his clothes and collapsed on his bed.[12] Hearing noises, he later put on dry clothes and asked someone what the time was: it was something like 2:30 a.m., the senator recalled. He testified that, as the night went on, "I almost tossed and turned and walked around that room ... I had not given up hope all night long that, by some miracle, Mary Jo would have escaped from the car."[13]

Back at his hotel, Kennedy complained at 2:55 am to the hotel owner that he had been awoken by a noisy party.[2] By 7:30 am the next morning he was talking "casually" to the winner of the previous day's sailing race, with no indication that anything was amiss.[2] At 8 a.m., Gargan and Markham joined Kennedy at his hotel where they had a "heated conversation." According to Kennedy's testimony, the two men asked why he had not reported the accident. Kennedy responded by telling them "about my own thoughts and feelings as I swam across that channel ... that somehow when they arrived in the morning that they were going to say that Mary Jo was still alive".[13] The three men subsequently crossed back to Chappaquiddick Island on the ferry, where Kennedy made a series of phone calls from a payphone by the crossing. The phone calls were to his friends for advice and again, he did not report the accident to authorities.[2]

[edit] The body and Kennedy's statement
Earlier that morning, two amateur fishermen had seen the submerged car in the water and notified the inhabitants of the cottage nearest to the scene, who called the authorities at around 8:20 am.[14] A diver was sent down and discovered Kopechne's body at around 8:45 am.[15] The diver, John Farrar, later testified at the inquest that Kopechne's body was pressed up in the car in the spot where an air bubble would have formed. He interpreted this to mean that Kopechne had survived in the air bubble after the accident, and concluded that

Had I received a call within five to ten minutes of the accident occurring, and was able, as I was the following morning, to be at the victim's side within twenty-five minutes of receiving the call, in such event there is a strong possibility that she would have been alive on removal from the submerged car.[8]

Farrar believed that Kopechne "lived for at least two hours down there."[16]

Police checked the car's license plate and saw that it was registered to Kennedy.[1] When Kennedy, still at the pay phone by the ferry crossing, saw that the body had been discovered, he crossed back to Edgartown and went to the police station; Gargan simultaneously went to the hotel where the Boiler Room Girls were staying to inform them about the incident.[2]

At 10 am Kennedy entered the police station in Edgartown, made a couple of phone calls, then dictated a statement to his aide Paul Markham, which was then given to the police. The statement ran as follows:

On July 18, 1969, at approximately 11:15 p.m. in Chappaquiddick, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, I was driving my car on Main Street on my way to get the ferry back to Edgartown. I was unfamiliar with the road and turned right onto Dike Road, instead of bearing hard left on Main Street. After proceeding for approximately one-half mile on Dike Road I descended a hill and came upon a narrow bridge. The car went off the side of the bridge. There was one passenger with me, one Miss Mary [Kopechne],[17] a former secretary of my brother Sen. Robert Kennedy. The car turned over and sank into the water and landed with the roof resting on the bottom. I attempted to open the door and the window of the car but have no recollection of how I got out of the car. I came to the surface and then repeatedly dove down to the car in an attempt to see if the passenger was still in the car. I was unsuccessful in the attempt. I was exhausted and in a state of shock. I recall walking back to where my friends were eating. There was a car parked in front of the cottage and I climbed into the backseat. I then asked for someone to bring me back to Edgartown. I remember walking around for a period and then going back to my hotel room. When I fully realized what had happened this morning, I immediately contacted the police.[18]

[edit] Legal proceedings
On July 25, seven days after the incident, Kennedy entered a plea of guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury. Kennedy's attorneys suggested that any jail sentence should be suspended, and the prosecutors agreed to
Chappaquiddick incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas Jefferson

Oscar Wilde

Immie

I disagree... Ted Kennedy was just a man, not a saint...he had many flaws and foibles...we ALL do...BUT, the man worked to improve himself and overcome his flaws. AND, he always worked for the betterment of others, particularly the poor and those that DIDN'T have the means or the power to protect their interests...

He never became president, but as a public servant he LIVED up to Harry Truman's and his late brother's words...

"Harry Truman once said, 'There are 14 or 15 million Americans who have the resources to have representatives in Washington to protect their interests, and that the interests of the great mass of the other people - the 150 or 160 million - is the responsibility of the president of the United States, and I propose to fulfill it.'"

/cheers

We are going to disagree on Senator Kennedy. Nothing is going to change either one of our minds. I'll continue the discussion if you like, but I'd rather not just go around and around and around with it.

Senator Edward Kennedy never became President, IMHO, because of Chappaquiddick. I think he would have been a prime candidate, especially with what happened to his brothers, if that one incident had never occurred. That doesn't mean I would think he would make a great President. But, I do think that one "skeleton" destroyed his hopes.

Right or wrong, that is just how I feel.

Immie

It's ludicrous.

Blogs. Where 'some' people get their news.
:lol::lol::lol:
I don't get my news from blogs. I live in this state. It's quite clear what is happening.
You claim to live here too so, there is no way in hell that you can deny what is happening. Unless you live with your head firmly buried up your ass. Oh but wait, you put a lil' rainbow on our great flag. You must think it's a gay state. But wait again, prop 8 was overwhelmingly passed, and the "Harvey Milk Day" proposal was shot down forthwit. Doesn't look your gay lil' rainbow carries any significance in this state. Yep, you live with your head firmly planted up your ass alright!;)

Immie

/cheers

We are going to disagree on Senator Kennedy. Nothing is going to change either one of our minds. I'll continue the discussion if you like, but I'd rather not just go around and around and around with it.

Senator Edward Kennedy never became President, IMHO, because of Chappaquiddick. I think he would have been a prime candidate, especially with what happened to his brothers, if that one incident had never occurred. That doesn't mean I would think he would make a great President. But, I do think that one "skeleton" destroyed his hopes.

Right or wrong, that is just how I feel.

Immie

I agree...Chappaquiddick was his Waterloo as far as being president. I don't excuse his actions following the accident, and neither did he...It was a failure on his part...but only HE can answer what his intentions and motivations were...

Interestingly, as much as Democrats really wanted another Kennedy in the White House, it WAS Democrats who rejected him for that office...

If you seek out the truth and disregard the politically motivated propaganda used to raise $$$ about Edward Moore Kennedy, the man, he was loved and highly respected by Democrats AND Republicans in the Senate and Washington...

I think I understand where you are coming from - but I think you may have placed your faith in party labels. I agree that is a sure way to dissappintment imho. But I do think that there are individuals who will represent us better than others.

But that is not saying much. Sure, if you can quantify representation some one is going to serve you better than someone else. But, who that someone is may be different for you than it is for me.

Personally, I would be served by someone who believes like I do. For instance, I am all for helping out the poor i.e. welfare, but I believe that through the current welfare system, the government, condemns to poor to a life on Welfare. So, although I agree that we need to help the poor, I don't think the government helps the poor.

A politician that sees things as I do would serve my purposes, but that would not necessarily mean that the politician supports "Welfare" for the same reasons that I do.

Just because a politician supports causes that I agree with, does not mean that he/she has not been corrupted.

Bfgrn says that Ted Kennedy served the people. He (I think he is a he, if not, my apologies) agreed with Senator Kennedy and thus believes that Senator Kennedy served the people. It is Bfgrn's interpretation of serving the people that dictates how he sees Senator Kennedy. But for me, I see Senator Kennedy's left wing support of things like Welfare as being the problem instead of the solution.

Does government welfare that enslaves the poor serve the poor or the Democrats by keeping to poor under Democrat control? Kennedy fought for things like welfare. Did he do a service to the poor? Bfgrn may think so, I on the other hand see it in a different light.

That doesn't mean I or Bfgrn are right or wrong or that there is not some middle ground.

Immie

If you seek out the truth and disregard the politically motivated propaganda used to raise $$$ about Edward Moore Kennedy, the man, he was loved and highly respected by Democrats AND Republicans in the Senate and Washington...

Who doesn't like the guys that supplies the booze? ;)

See my last post about welfare. I hope that sheds some light on how I see left wing politics. The ideas are not necessarily wrong, but IMHO, it is the results and the motive that count.

Immie

Have YOU ever considered that our founding fathers CREATED a GOVERNMENT. They would NEVER, EVER allow FOR PROFIT corporations to take away the freedoms of We, the people and decide who lives and who dies BASED ON PROFIT margins???

The Republican party has NO heart and NO conscience today... maybe if you were old enough to remember when Republicans had a conscience you wouldn't sound like such an idiot...

"In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human. In all those things which deal with people's money, or their economy, or their form of government, be conservative."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

No, I've never considered that our Founding Fathers created a government. Because a freaking idiot realizes they created a government. A government that was limited in scope so the American people could govern themselves through their local communities and states.

There isnt a single corporation taking away peoples freedoms. They dont have that power. Only an over obtrusive government can take away the freedom from the people. Yet you have no problem with giving that government more and more power.

Yeah, we are the ones without conscience [/sarcasm]

Who doesn't like the guys that supplies the booze? ;)

See my last post about welfare. I hope that sheds some light on how I see left wing politics. The ideas are not necessarily wrong, but IMHO, it is the results and the motive that count.

Immie

I don't support motivation by punishment...especially children, which comprise half the human beings that receive welfare...

Right wing solutions are fantastic...if ONLY human beings would evaporate...

During the Great Depression, just like the current economic crisis, conservatives railed against government intervention... their solution: let the market heal itself and the economy will recover in the long run...

Prompting FDR's Commerce Secretary Harry Hopkins to say: "People don't eat in the long run. They eat every day."

PEOPLE before profits, property OR ideology... if that is NOT your priorities, then you are not a moral person...

Forum List

Back