Kennedy: Barred from Communion

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
Why this hasn't happened to more Kennedys over the years, I'll never know.

It's amazing that they actually think they can receive the sacrament while openly ADVOCATING and campaigning for abortion rights.

"WASHINGTON — Providence Bishop Thomas J. Tobin has forbidden Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy to receive the Roman Catholic sacrament of Holy Communion because of his advocacy of abortion rights, the Rhode Island Democrat said Friday.

“The bishop instructed me not to take Communion and said that he has instructed the diocesan priests not to give me Communion,” Kennedy said in a telephone interview.

Kennedy said the bishop had explained the penalty by telling him “that I am not a good practicing Catholic because of the positions that I’ve taken as a public official,” particularly on abortion. He declined to say when or how Bishop Tobin told him not to take the sacrament. And he declined to say whether he has obeyed the bishop’s injunction."

Kennedy: Barred from Communion | John Mulligan | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Last edited:
Why this hasn't happened to more Kennedys over the years, I'll never know.

It's amazing that they actually think they can receive the sacrament while openly ADVOCATING and campaigning for abortion rights.

"WASHINGTON — Providence Bishop Thomas J. Tobin has forbidden Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy to receive the Roman Catholic sacrament of Holy Communion because of his advocacy of abortion rights, the Rhode Island Democrat said Friday.

“The bishop instructed me not to take Communion and said that he has instructed the diocesan priests not to give me Communion,” Kennedy said in a telephone interview.

Kennedy said the bishop had explained the penalty by telling him “that I am not a good practicing Catholic because of the positions that I’ve taken as a public official,” particularly on abortion. He declined to say when or how Bishop Tobin told him not to take the sacrament. And he declined to say whether he has obeyed the bishop’s injunction."

Kennedy: Barred from Communion | John Mulligan | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Good! Well done.

As an Irish-Catholic American I think the Kennedy's should have been barred years ago from partaking in Communion.

But that's just MHO. I'm not a Bishop or Archbishop and I don't play one on TV either.

Besides---I'm a girl. I can't be one. ;)

Personally, I think the Church is way out of line here.

You're kidding. It's the CATHOLIC church.
I'm not kidding. If a bishop or priest decides to deny a parishioner communion because they are a politician who can effect policy on abortion, that seems to be in line with the Pope's specific orders on this particular tenet. However, this decision is between the priest and that parishioner, only. It is a private matter. By making it public, the bishop has politicized Catholicism and I think that is way out of line. I'm a Roman Catholic, but it does not mean I defend the Church when I think it is out of line.

Last edited:
The Church is picking a political fight it doesn't want to get into. Abortion is the law of the land. Attacking politicians for upholding the law is a no win.

Church policies like discriminating against women and homosexuals could be used to question tax exempt status. The church also opposes birth control. Are they going to start banning Catholics who practice birth control?

Just because it's the law of the land doesn't mean it's right. Slavery was the law of the land. Hanging horse thieves was the law of the land. Bounties for Indian scalps was the law of the land.

The church has been and always will be anti-abortion. Of course it belongs in this fight. And any political entity who champions abortion is, and should be, disciplined within the church.

Being denied communion is not excommunication. But obviously Kennedy doesn't give a shit about his faith anyway, or he wouldn't be the abortion king. The Catholic Church is a religion for the Kennedy women and children. The men use it to further their political careers.

The Church is picking a political fight it doesn't want to get into. Abortion is the law of the land. Attacking politicians for upholding the law is a no win. ....
I couldn't agree more.

.... Church policies like discriminating against women and homosexuals could be used to question tax exempt status. ....
No, it can't as they are a religious institution thus exempt from those discrimination laws.

.... The church also opposes birth control. Are they going to start banning Catholics who practice birth control?
That is a bit harder to figure out who is practicing it or not. Folks use or not is not likely public record.

It is absolutely the right of the Catholic Church to barr a member from receiving the sacriments. It happens whenever a member is deemed to be outside the teachings of the Church. It is Kennedy who is at fault, not the Church.

Just because it's the law of the land doesn't mean it's right. Slavery was the law of the land. Hanging horse thieves was the law of the land. Bounties for Indian scalps was the law of the land.

The church has been and always will be anti-abortion. Of course it belongs in this fight. And any political entity who champions abortion is, and should be, disciplined within the church.

Being denied communion is not excommunication. But obviously Kennedy doesn't give a shit about his faith anyway, or he wouldn't be the abortion king. The Catholic Church is a religion for the Kennedy women and children. The men use it to further their political careers.

Rep for you.... :D

You're kidding. It's the CATHOLIC church.
I'm not kidding. If a bishop or priest decides to deny a parishioner communion because they are a politician who can effect policy on abortion, that seems to be in line with the Pope's specific orders on this particular tenet. However, this decision is between the priest and that parishioner, only. It is a private matter. By making it public, the bishop has politicized Catholicism and I think that is way out of line. I'm a Roman Catholic, but it does not mean I defend the Church when I think it is out of line.

I think it was Kennedy who made it public. No?

It is absolutely the right of the Catholic Church to barr a member from receiving the sacriments. It happens whenever a member is deemed to be outside the teachings of the Church. It is Kennedy who is at fault, not the Church.
I disagree. This is a private matter between Patrick Kennedy and the priest. The bishop had no business sharing it with the press, except for a political goal.

The bishop didn't. Kennedy did.
You are right. Upon further inspection it appears that Bishop Tobin's office is even a bit peeved at Kennedy's comments as there is an implication that the Bishop never instructed a refusal of communion.

Hmmm. Thanks for pointing that out.

However, IF the bishop or priest had made it public, I disagree with their doing that.

I disagree. This is a private matter between Patrick Kennedy and the priest. The bishop had no business sharing it with the press, except for a political goal.

Nope, it is not between Kennedy and his priest. It is between Kennedy and the Church. Personally, I would like to see the Church taking a far tougher position on abortion. The Church is perfectly right to bar him - and any other Catholic politician - who votes for any pro abortion legislation.

Forum List

Back