Kennedy: Barred from Communion

The Church is picking a political fight it doesn't want to get into. Abortion is the law of the land. Attacking politicians for upholding the law is a no win.

They're not "attacking politicians".

They're attacking STRAYING CATHOLICS who are also politicians.

They're forcing said STRAYING CATHOLICS to decide if thier faith is very important to them--or not.

The Church isn't enforcing it's laws on ALL politicians (as you imply). Simply upon those who CLAIM to be Roman Catholic.

Like the Kennedys.

Church policies like discriminating against women and homosexuals could be used to question tax exempt status.

That's where your precious separation of church/state (or state from church as you libbies like it) comes into play.

You guys can't go there.... LOL :eusa_naughty:

It is the Church's right to follow their more than 2,000 year old rites and traditions, and the government can't step in and interfere. Much to your chagrin! :lol:

The church also opposes birth control. Are they going to start banning Catholics who practice birth control?

Right... :rolleyes:

And Moslems are forbidden to eat pork. Yet plenty do....

What you understand about the RCC you could put in a thimble and still have room left for a good stiff drink.

Point is, the RCC isn't going to police every bedroom....or medicine cabinet. This is left to the individual Catholic or Catholic couple's conscience....to work out for themselves with their Priest and God.

No, they don't even want to talk about it and have made it clear that being refused communion is NOT excommunication.

Kennedy doesn't give a shit about Catholicism. He's just using the church to further his agenda.

And they know it.

It would complete his wet dream if they WOULD excommunicate him, which is probably what he's aiming for.

The bishop didn't. Kennedy did.
You are right. Upon further inspection it appears that Bishop Tobin's office is even a bit peeved at Kennedy's comments as there is an implication that the Bishop never instructed a refusal of communion.

Hmmm. Thanks for pointing that out.

However, IF the bishop or priest had made it public, I disagree with their doing that.

Jose can you see? It's the demonc RATS that want to tax the Catholics! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It is absolutely the right of the Catholic Church to barr a member from receiving the sacriments. It happens whenever a member is deemed to be outside the teachings of the Church. It is Kennedy who is at fault, not the Church.
I disagree. This is a private matter between Patrick Kennedy and the priest. The bishop had no business sharing it with the press, except for a political goal.

Nope, it is not between Kennedy and his priest. It is between Kennedy and the Church. Personally, I would like to see the Church taking a far tougher position on abortion. The Church is perfectly right to bar him - and any other Catholic politician - who votes for any pro abortion legislation.
That is not my point of disagreement. My point of disagreement, which is moot at this point, is such a personal matter being made public by the bishop and/or priest. IF that had been the case, the making of such a personal matter public is way out of line, IMO. But, it looks like Kennedy is the blabber in this particular case, so my point is moot.

The bishop didn't. Kennedy did.
You are right. Upon further inspection it appears that Bishop Tobin's office is even a bit peeved at Kennedy's comments as there is an implication that the Bishop never instructed a refusal of communion.

However, IF the bishop or priest had made it public, I disagree with their doing that.

Jose can you see? It's the demonc RATS that want to tax the Catholics! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No Catholic should ever have to pay taxes! :lol::lol:

As a Catholic, I insist upon this. No Taxes For Catholics!

Personally, I think the Church is way out of line here.

It is absolutely the right of the Catholic Church to barr a member from receiving the sacriments. It happens whenever a member is deemed to be outside the teachings of the Church. It is Kennedy who is at fault, not the Church.

Absolutely!

And it is certainly *not* within the purview of non-Catholics to comment or criticize on internal Church workings.

That is, unless, they are also willing to open up their faith to the same type of scrutiny and criticism they are heaping upon the Catholic Church in this case.

Poor form, protestant Democrats. :eusa_naughty:

No, they don't even want to talk about it and have made it clear that being refused communion is NOT excommunication.

Kennedy doesn't give a shit about Catholicism. He's just using the church to further his agenda.

And they know it.

It would complete his wet dream if they WOULD excommunicate him, which is probably what he's aiming for.

Excellent points, all of them. :clap2:

No Catholic should ever have to pay taxes! :lol::lol:

As a Catholic, I insist upon this. No Taxes For Catholics!

:woohoo: :woohoo:

No taxes for Catholics! :clap2:

Absolutely!

And it is certainly *not* within the purview of non-Catholics to comment or criticize on internal Church workings.

That is, unless, they are also willing to open up their faith to the same type of scrutiny and criticism they are heaping upon the Catholic Church in this case.

Ummm, chill a bit. I am no non-Catholic.

And even if I were not a Roman Catholic, I certainly can comment on the Church. I'm no Muslim and I make comments about Islam as well. Should we expect your standards from you, now?

Careful what you wish for. It helps to think beyond the end of your nose.

Last edited:

I disagree. This is a private matter between Patrick Kennedy and the priest. The bishop had no business sharing it with the press, except for a political goal.

If Kennedy had kept his yap shut, it *would* have remained a matter between himself and his Priest.

Kennedy is the one blabbing. NOT the RCC (who aren't likely very happy with Kennedy as it is, and this isn't helping....he's pushing the boundaries....one must wonder, why?)

Nope, it is not between Kennedy and his priest. It is between Kennedy and the Church. Personally, I would like to see the Church taking a far tougher position on abortion. The Church is perfectly right to bar him - and any other Catholic politician - who votes for any pro abortion legislation.
That is not my point of disagreement. My point of disagreement, which is moot at this point, is such a personal matter being made public by the bishop and/or priest. IF that had been the case, the making of such a personal matter public is way out of line, IMO. But, it looks like Kennedy is the blabber in this particular case, so my point is moot.

I would have been very surprised if it had come from the Church - they would view this as a Church matter - not a public statement. However, it does not surprise me in the least that Kennedy is using it to as another shameless attempt at self-promotion.... It's designed to send a message to his constitutents - that he is prepared to go against his own beliefs to support the party agenda. The Church should excommunicate the idiot.

I am not religious person so I don't really care what church does. However, I do not disrespect people who believe and stand for what they believe in.

To me, if you want to be a member of a private club, you have to play by the club rules, otherwise club will deny you an access. You can't say you're catholic and join the catholic club "for the show", but spit on catholic club beliefs whenever you feel for it. You have every right to leave the club and join some other club that suits you better.

In this case, church is not out of line. I think it's long overdue and that church should have to make a move on all those "supposed" good Catholics like the Kennedy clan and Pelosi, Kerry, Biden, Dodd, Leahy, Durbin and many other big Catholics who literally commit a sin every time they receive communion. Knowingly supporting abortions and even pushing agenda's that would in effect make abortions more readily available, instead of doing what is demanded of all Catholics, which is to preach and practice abstinence until marriage and cease any pro abortion measures.

It's just sends the wrong message to have our political leaders who “know better” and were taught about a respect for all life to break a vital commandment and allow abortions to become a mainstream option in society with their blessing. Its hypocrisy and church did what they had to do.

Well as I find this comical because it shows what hypocrites the Kennedy's are, I also chuckle because the church waited until Teddy was gone!

In spite of it exposing a Kennedy, as a Christian I don't agree with it in general. I feel that they will have to deal with God on this, when their day comes. I don't see it as mans place. But, they chose to be a part of the Catholic Church, hence, either stand by what you claim to hold dear or be rejected.

The church is within it's rights, as it is clear what church doctrine is!

Funny though, funny indeed.

Mike

Absolutely!

And even if I were not a Roman Catholic, I certainly can comment on the Church. I'm no Muslim and I make comments about Islam as well. Should we expect your standards from you, now?

Do you make commentary about the inner workings of Islam? I've never seen such from you so far.

Do you make commentary about the inner workings of the Episcopal or Lutheran churches? Hmmm. Nope. Not that I've seen.

So why the vapid interest in the RCC? Ah....because a leftist lemming CINO is being called on the carpet for his poor behavior AS A CATHOLIC by the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church.

I would have been very surprised if it had come from the Church - they would view this as a Church matter - not a public statement. However, it does not surprise me in the least that Kennedy is using it to as another shameless attempt at self-promotion.... It's designed to send a message to his constitutents - that he is prepared to go against his own beliefs to support the party agenda. The Church should excommunicate the idiot.
I wouldn't have been surprised at all if it came from the parish or the diocese. When Rudy was running - my MAN!!!! - both the archbishop of St. Louis and Cardinal Egan publicly indicated their denial of communion for Giuliani. I didn't agree with that move at all - making a personal matter public.

Apparently, upon further reading on this topic, since the Giuliani episodes, the Church has tried to stop such public exposures of personal matters. As they should and I am glad to hear that.

Last edited:
Absolutely!

Do you make commentary about the inner workings of Islam? I've never seen such from you so far.

Do you make commentary about the inner workings of the Episcopal or Lutheran churches? Hmmm. Nope. Not that I've seen.

So why the vapid interest in the RCC? Ah....because a leftist lemming CINO is being called on the carpet for his poor behavior AS A CATHOLIC by the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church.
Yes, I have commented quite a bit about Islam. Your ignorance of that fact does not excuse your looking like a fool.

I have no vapid interest in this.

Your assumption that I support Patrick Kennedy is without foundation.

And finally, you still haven't really grasped my actual point. Your strawman at this point is boring me and your ignorance of my views is cringworthy.

Bishop Tobin responds to Kennedy l WPRI.com

Dispute about receiving communion
Updated: Sunday, 22 Nov 2009, 10:57 AM EST
Published : Sunday, 22 Nov 2009, 10:41 AM EST

Stephanie Lane

PROVIDENCE, RI (WPRI) - Bishop Tobin has released a response to Congessman Kennedy's earlier statements on not being allowed communion because of his position on abortion.

Statement of Bishop Thomas Tobin in Response to Congressman Patrick Kennedy's Published Interview of November 22, 2009

Bishop Tobin says:

I am disappointed and really surprised that Congressman Patrick Kennedy has chosen to reopen the public discussion about his practice of the faith and his reception of Holy Communion. This comes almost two weeks after the Congressman indicated to local media that he would no longer comment publicly on his faith or his relationship with the Catholic Church. The Congressman's public comments require me to reply.

On February 21, 2007, I wrote to Congressman Kennedy stating: "In light of the Church's clear teaching, and your consistent actions, therefore, I believe it is inappropriate for you to be receiving Holy Communion and I now ask respectfully that you refrain from doing so." My request came in light of the new statement of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops that said, "If a Catholic in his or her personal or professional life were knowingly and obstinately to repudiate her definite teachings on moral issues, he or she would seriously diminish his or her communion with the Church. Reception of Holy Communion in such a situation would not accord with the nature of the Eucharistic celebration, so that he or she should refrain." (Happy Are Those Who Are Called to His Supper, December, 2006)

See link above for balance of article.

Now you understand why Jack Kennedy was the first Catholic to be elected president and why it was necessary for him to fly to Houston and address the Greater Houston Ministerial Association during the 1960 campaign...to assure the American people that America wouldn't be run from the Vatican...

Address of Senator John F. Kennedy to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

The Kennedys and abortion...what a JOKE...

Address+of+Senator+John+F.+Kennedy+to+the+Greater+Houston+Ministerial+Association.htm

KennedyFamily.jpg

img-hp-main---kennedy-family-gallery_165614531976.jpg

family.jpg

John Jr. wanders away during a family photo session featuring all of the Kennedy children and the President. August 1963. The children, left to right: Kathleen Kennedy (holding Christopher Kennedy), Edward Kennedy Jr., Joseph P. Kennedy II, Kara Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., David Kennedy, Caroline Kennedy, President Kennedy, Michael Kennedy, Courtney Kennedy, Kerry Kennedy, Bobby Shriver (holding Timothy Shriver ), Maria Shriver, Steve Smith Jr., Willie Smith, Christopher Lawford, Victoria Lawford, Sidney Lawford, Robin Lawford (in foreground- John F. Kennedy Jr.).

50375829.jpg

Try getting all your facts, Si Modo, before going off half-cocked about the RCC going public with the banning of Kennedy from Communion.

See above response from Bishop Tobin.

Talk about appearing cringeworthy.....you certainly DO! :rofl:

Now you understand why Jack Kennedy was the first Catholic to be elected president and why it was necessary for him to fly to Houston and address the Greater Houston Ministerial Association during the 1960 campaign...to assure the American people that America wouldn't be run from the Vatican...

Address of Senator John F. Kennedy to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

The Kennedys and abortion...what a JOKE...

Address+of+Senator+John+F.+Kennedy+to+the+Greater+Houston+Ministerial+Association.htm

KennedyFamily.jpg

img-hp-main---kennedy-family-gallery_165614531976.jpg

family.jpg

John Jr. wanders away during a family photo session featuring all of the Kennedy children and the President. August 1963. The children, left to right: Kathleen Kennedy (holding Christopher Kennedy), Edward Kennedy Jr., Joseph P. Kennedy II, Kara Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., David Kennedy, Caroline Kennedy, President Kennedy, Michael Kennedy, Courtney Kennedy, Kerry Kennedy, Bobby Shriver (holding Timothy Shriver ), Maria Shriver, Steve Smith Jr., Willie Smith, Christopher Lawford, Victoria Lawford, Sidney Lawford, Robin Lawford (in foreground- John F. Kennedy Jr.).

50375829.jpg
:thup: This is exactly the mentality of which the Church must be wary for the good of all Catholics in the USA.

Forum List

Back