Kennedy: Barred from Communion

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AllieBaba, Nov 22, 2009.

1. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Why this hasn't happened to more Kennedys over the years, I'll never know.

It's amazing that they actually think they can receive the sacrament while openly ADVOCATING and campaigning for abortion rights.

"WASHINGTON — Providence Bishop Thomas J. Tobin has forbidden Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy to receive the Roman Catholic sacrament of Holy Communion because of his advocacy of abortion rights, the Rhode Island Democrat said Friday.

“The bishop instructed me not to take Communion and said that he has instructed the diocesan priests not to give me Communion,” Kennedy said in a telephone interview.

Kennedy said the bishop had explained the penalty by telling him “that I am not a good practicing Catholic because of the positions that I’ve taken as a public official,” particularly on abortion. He declined to say when or how Bishop Tobin told him not to take the sacrament. And he declined to say whether he has obeyed the bishop’s injunction."

Kennedy: Barred from Communion | John Mulligan | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Personally, I think the Church is way out of line here.

3. JenyEliza

JenyEliza Princess of Rhetoric

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +353
    Good! Well done.

As an Irish-Catholic American I think the Kennedy's should have been barred years ago from partaking in Communion.

But that's just MHO. I'm not a Bishop or Archbishop and I don't play one on TV either.

Besides---I'm a girl. I can't be one. ;)

4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    You're kidding. It's the CATHOLIC church.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,728
    I don't. I think the Kennedy's need to find a religion that fits their lifestyle and beliefs. Catholicism ain't it. and Pelosi and any other abortion advocate should vacate the pew also.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Its their church and they can do whatever they like. You have no say unless you are catholic.

7. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I'm not kidding. If a bishop or priest decides to deny a parishioner communion because they are a politician who can effect policy on abortion, that seems to be in line with the Pope's specific orders on this particular tenet. However, this decision is between the priest and that parishioner, only. It is a private matter. By making it public, the bishop has politicized Catholicism and I think that is way out of line. I'm a Roman Catholic, but it does not mean I defend the Church when I think it is out of line.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  8. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,413
    The Church is picking a political fight it doesn't want to get into. Abortion is the law of the land. Attacking politicians for upholding the law is a no win.

Church policies like discriminating against women and homosexuals could be used to question tax exempt status. The church also opposes birth control. Are they going to start banning Catholics who practice birth control?

9. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,728
    wrong, this is a message board she can have a say!

10. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Just because it's the law of the land doesn't mean it's right. Slavery was the law of the land. Hanging horse thieves was the law of the land. Bounties for Indian scalps was the law of the land.

The church has been and always will be anti-abortion. Of course it belongs in this fight. And any political entity who champions abortion is, and should be, disciplined within the church.

Being denied communion is not excommunication. But obviously Kennedy doesn't give a shit about his faith anyway, or he wouldn't be the abortion king. The Catholic Church is a religion for the Kennedy women and children. The men use it to further their political careers.