Keeping people of color from voting

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
New voter registration law snares mostly minorities - St. Petersburg Times

TALLAHASSEE — Hispanics and blacks account for more than half of the people in Florida whose voter registration forms were rejected in recent weeks under the state's controversial new voter verification law.

Democrats were four times as likely to be tripped up by the law as Republicans, and more than half of the people affected are 30 years old or younger. One of every four unmatched voters lives in Miami-Dade, the state's largest county and the one with the largest Hispanic population.

Between Sept. 8, when the law took effect, and Oct. 10, a total of 8,867 people were placed in a separate database, their voting status in limbo for the moment, according to state records released Thursday.

Last edited:
  • Banned
"Just as when the law was initially enforced, it has a wildly disproportional effect on black and Latino voters," said Adam Skaggs of the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law, which represented black and Haitian political groups in an unsuccessful lawsuit to strike down the law. "This is no surprise."

Advocates say black and Hispanic voters experience higher error rates because they use hyphenated surnames or first names with nontraditional spellings.

• Banned
Why dont you outline the requirements of the law you are defending for us?

• Banned
Court Declines to Block Florida’s No-Match No-Vote Law | Brennan Center for Justice

Florida – On Tuesday, a federal trial court in Gainesville, Florida, refused to stop the state's "no-match, no-vote" law, a voter registration law that has blocked more than 16,000 eligible Florida citizens from registering, through no fault of their own, and could disenfranchise tens of thousands more voters in the 2008 elections. While the lawsuit compelled Florida officials to change the law on the margins, yesterday's ruling upheld severe restrictions in the updated law and poses the latest hurdle in a virtual obstacle course of Florida statutes that is preventing eligible Florida voters from registering to vote.

"This ruling puts thousands of real Florida citizens at risk this November based on bureaucratic typos," stated Justin Levitt, counsel at the Brennan Center for Justice, who argued the case on behalf of voter advocates. "Voters who do everything right, who submit forms that are complete, timely, and accurate, will suddenly find themselves unregistered when they go to vote, because someone somewhere slipped on a keyboard. It's unjust and it's unnecessary, and Florida voters will pay the price this fall."

• Banned
In other words, Dems were four times as likely to be breaking the law.

Allinbabble,

This law makes typos by clerks have the ability to steal someones right to vote.

Some clerk who doesnt like balck people can purposely type Tyrone , Tirone and a real live breathing American can lose their vote because of it.

The right to vote shall not be infringed!

do you remember that line?

Court Declines to Block Florida’s No-Match No-Vote Law | Brennan Center for Justice

Florida – On Tuesday, a federal trial court in Gainesville, Florida, refused to stop the state's "no-match, no-vote" law, a voter registration law that has blocked more than 16,000 eligible Florida citizens from registering, through no fault of their own, and could disenfranchise tens of thousands more voters in the 2008 elections. While the lawsuit compelled Florida officials to change the law on the margins, yesterday's ruling upheld severe restrictions in the updated law and poses the latest hurdle in a virtual obstacle course of Florida statutes that is preventing eligible Florida voters from registering to vote.

"This ruling puts thousands of real Florida citizens at risk this November based on bureaucratic typos," stated Justin Levitt, counsel at the Brennan Center for Justice, who argued the case on behalf of voter advocates. "Voters who do everything right, who submit forms that are complete, timely, and accurate, will suddenly find themselves unregistered when they go to vote, because someone somewhere slipped on a keyboard. It's unjust and it's unnecessary, and Florida voters will pay the price this fall."

Why do I have zero pity for Florida voters ? How many years have they had to get this right. Even the democratic party screwed them in the primaries.

Allinbabble,

This law makes typos by clerks have the ability to steal someones right to vote.

Some clerk who doesnt like balck people can purposely type Tyrone , Tirone and a real live breathing American can lose their vote because of it.

The right to vote shall not be infringed!

do you remember that line?

Much like when you fill out any paperwork.. you check for accuracy...

When I registered to vote, they asked me to verify the information on my voter registration card to make sure it was accurate... pretty simple...

Ensuring people ARE who they say they are, live where they say they live, and are eligible to actually vote (age, being a criminal, etc) is a DAMN GOOD THING

You guys are just refusing to see the reality here huh?

If you fill out your card perfectly and then a data entry person somewhere misspells your name you lose your vote.

It can happen on purpose and by accident.

Then Poof you are no longer able to vote.

If you fill out your card perfectly and then a data entry person somewhere misspells your name you lose your vote.

Oh hell, TM----just let anyone vote. Who cares anymore, really ?

Last edited:

Well... mistakes happen in life... there are no goddamn guarantees...

But like I said... when they entered my info, they handed me the card and asked me to check and verify that it is correct.. .if I were a dumbass enough not to do that check, too bad... the system for verification is there...

Again... Ensuring people ARE who they say they are, live where they say they live, and are eligible to actually vote (age, being a criminal, etc) is a DAMN GOOD THING

Yeah... because verifying that people are who they say they are is inherently racist :rolleyes:

It is inherently a gimmick to keep people of color from voting .. just as the title says.

Republicans are the majority of those who use absentee ballots to vote.

Where is the check to see if someone mailing in a ballot and never seen by any election official is hwo they are?

Let me get this straight .. the purpose of voter-id at the polls is what exactly?

OH SHOCK .. they're saying that America has a history of disenfranchising voters of color? .. I'm sure you're just so shocked at such an idea.

Why if such a thing was ever true, wouldn't here be something like a Voters Rights Act .. that would include Florida?

Yeah, but that's the past .. if discrimination against people of color still existed, wouldn't they have extended such an act .. like maybe in .. oh say .. 2006?

But only a democratic president would extend such an act, right? A republican president would know people of color can't write and no such disenfranchisement exists .. we'd never see a president like Bush sign a 25 years extension on like .. oh say .. July 27, 2006.

Last edited:
It is inherently a gimmick to keep people of color from voting .. just as the title says.

Republicans are the majority of those who use absentee ballots to vote.

Where is the check to see if someone mailing in a ballot and never seen by any election official is hwo they are?

Let me get this straight .. the purpose of voter-id at the polls is what exactly?

OH SHOCK .. they're saying that America has a history of disenfranchising voters of color? .. I'm sure you're just so shocked at such an idea.

Why if such a thing was ever true, wouldn't here be something like a Voters Rights Act .. that would include Florida?

Yeah, but that's the past .. if discrimination against people of color still existed, wouldn't they have extended such an act .. like maybe in .. oh say .. 2006?

But only a democratic president would extend such an act, right? A republican president would know people of color can't write and no such disenfranchisement exists .. we'd never see a president like Bush sign a 25 years extension on like .. oh say .. July 27, 2006.

Again... another far lefty trying to place racism into something that is blind of race and has nothing to do with race...

IT IS FUCKING VERIFICATION and ACCURACY of saying you are who you say you are.. I don't care if you are black, white, yellow, red, albino, checkered, or fucking plaid... you verify who the fuck you are and that you are eligible for voting where you are voting from

Absentee ballots are sent to the verified address of the person who went thru all the checks needed for the voter registration process.... it is not sent at random and it is not someone sending in a bar napkin with their vote... it is the same process of registration and the same ballot against the registration, just sent thru the legal US mail system

Last edited:
Well... mistakes happen in life... there are no goddamn guarantees...

But like I said... when they entered my info, they handed me the card and asked me to check and verify that it is correct.. .if I were a dumbass enough not to do that check, too bad... the system for verification is there...

Again... Ensuring people ARE who they say they are, live where they say they live, and are eligible to actually vote (age, being a criminal, etc) is a DAMN GOOD THING

your one person example doesnt mean shit.

This practice ends up keeping perfectly legal Americans from voting when they have done NOTHING wrong.

Data entry that they are checking against is more than just the voter office.

Your then too bad example is NOT in the American spirit of Democracy either.

The real measure here is that the type of "fraud" they are saying they are preventing is insignifigant.

IT doesnt exsist you fool, ITS A PHANTOM PROBLEM!

Every study of this type of fraud has shown its vertually non exsistant.

So these new laws force legal voters out of the system in an attempt to prevent fraud that doesnt exsist.

These are cold hard facts.

Every study has shown they are cold hard facts.

So what you are defending is the wholesale stripping of constitutional rights every American is entitled to.

THE RIGHT TO VOTE IS SCARED!

you are as unAmerican as a person can get.

Republican party first and Fuck the constitution is what you are saying with your defense of these tactics.

Last edited:
your one person example doesnt mean shit.

This practice ends up keeping perfectly legal Americans from voting when they have done NOTHING wrong.

Data entry that they are checking against is more than just the voter office.

Your then too bad example is NOT in the American spirit of Democracy either.

The real measure here is that the type of "fraud" they are saying they are preventing is insignifigant.

IT doesnt exsist you fool, ITS A PHANTOM PROBLEM!

Every study of this type of fraud has shown its vertually non exsistant.

So these new laws force legal voters out of the system in an attempt to prevent fraud that doesnt exsist.

These are cold hard facts.

Every study has shown they are cold hard facts.

So what you are defending is the wholesale stripping of constitutional rights every American is entitled to.

THE RIGHT TO VOTE IS SCARED!

you are as unAmerican as a person can get.

Republican party first and Fuck the constitution is what you are saying with your defense of these tactics.

You fucking leftist idiot troll..

Paperwork and clerical work will exist... you will never have 100% accuracy... but that inherent risk of mistakes (as with every aspect of life) is not denying someone the right to fucking vote...

Now purposely registering falsely to vote... that is indeed a problem and a purposeful violation of the law

Country first.. legality... prevention of fraud/multiple registration/false registration.... it is not about REP or DEM on IND or CON or LIB or whatever other party... it is not about black or white or red or checkered or amish or jewish or wiccan or male or female or whatever else....

I am not against any wholesale stripping of rights... I am against fraud violating the rights of others who have gone thru the verification and needed steps to cast their vote

You just refuse to accept the facts surrounding the issue huh?

THERE IS NOT FRAUD LIKE THIS TO STOP!

Now please fucking address that part of your twisted "logic"?

Again... another far lefty trying to place racism into something that is blind of race and has nothing to do with race...

IT IS FUCKING VERIFICATION and ACCURACY of saying you are who you say you are.. I don't care if you are black, white, yellow, red, albino, checkered, or fucking plaid... you verify who the fuck you are and that you are eligible for voting where you are voting from

Absentee ballots are sent to the verified address of the person who went thru all the checks needed for the voter registration process.... it is not sent at random and it is not someone sending in a bar napkin with their vote... it is the same process of registration and the same ballot against the registration, just sent thru the legal US mail system

You aren't very good at this, are you?

Now that droves of democrats are now using absentee ballots to vote .. guess what many republicans are saying .. EXACTLY what I said ..

How Democrats stole an election in Alabama

Democrats consistently used absentee voter ballots to steal elections due to the unmonitored settings where there is no election official or independent observer present to ensure that the registered voter is actually the person vot*ing
How Democrats stole an election in Alabama | Spero News

Oh no, republicans have never tried to disenfranchise minorities from voting

Maybe you should pursue a hobby, get a girlfriend, take a class .. but you aren't too good at this.

From your article:

Elections officials expect about 70 percent of the discrepancies will be resolved before next month's election because they are the result of clerical or typographical errors, or conflicts with names.

Secretary of State Kurt Browning told the governor and Cabinet on Tuesday that the law is necessary to maintain the integrity of the state's voter file. At the same time, he said, it is his agency's policy "to err on the side of the voter."

Forum List

Back