Kansas Tax Cut Experiment Comes To An End As Lawmakers Vote To Raise Taxes

Another Republican fail....and they still think this is going to work on a national level? My own state, which has significant budgetary problems and a new Republican majority is looking at the same sort of legislation :confused:

Kansas lawmakers have voted to roll back a series of major tax cuts that became an example for conservative lawmakers around the country but didn't deliver the growth and prosperity promised by Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican.

A coalition of conservative Republicans, some of whom voted for sweeping tax cuts in 2012 or defended them in the years since, sided with moderates and Democrats to override Brownback's veto of a $1.2 billion tax increase.

The law to increase taxes over the next two years comes as legislators seek to close a projected $900 million budget gap for that same period and bolster funding for K-12 schools under a Kansas Supreme Court order.

"It's a huge vote," said state Rep. Steven Johnson, a Republican and chairman of the House tax panel, adding that legislative leadership had explored many routes to find a tax solution that would gain sufficient support in both chambers. "It's a huge vote for looking for an option for Kansas among limited options."

Floor debates on taxes ran late into Tuesday evening, but in the end, 27 senators and 88 representatives rendered Brownback's veto — which had been handed down just hours earlier — irrelevant.

Passage of the tax bill brings to an end signature tax policies of the Brownback administration. Most of those policies were part of a 2012 law that exempted owners of more than 300,000 small businesses and became a political flashpoint in recent elections.

What the hell is wrong with you folks. Don't you think the overall American economy would have ANY affect on a city or state economy. How about some of you people explain to me how extremely well the American economy has been over the last 8 fricken years and the Kansas economy just couldn't keep up.

The "overall economy" has been improving over the past five years while Kansas has done the opposite. That ought to tell you something...
It tells me is you have little understanding of what happened.

Democrats are crowing in victory about tax cuts, which means I will continue to not vote for them.

When Republicans raise taxes, it's only because they've run out of other options, and they don't brag about it or break out the champagne.

The Tea Party philosophy was a lot like the Federalist party. Absolutely correct, and overwhelmingly sound, resulting in one president elected (John Adams), and then slowly fading into the sunset until totally disbanded and dismissed, like a kooky cult of out of date has beens.....

Been there....sad place to live.
Really? Where? Some the best schools in the nation. Low unemployment. Very affordable housing. My home would be 3 - 4 million on either coast. 4 acres and 4 bed 3 bath home. Putting tons away for retirement. Lived in Anaheim Hills, California and Saddle Ridge, NJ before starting my own business in Kansas. I do miss the weather in Cali, but not anything else. And the people are amazing. Friendly, helpful, just good folks.

Another Republican fail....and they still think this is going to work on a national level? My own state, which has significant budgetary problems and a new Republican majority is looking at the same sort of legislation :confused:

Kansas lawmakers have voted to roll back a series of major tax cuts that became an example for conservative lawmakers around the country but didn't deliver the growth and prosperity promised by Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican.

A coalition of conservative Republicans, some of whom voted for sweeping tax cuts in 2012 or defended them in the years since, sided with moderates and Democrats to override Brownback's veto of a $1.2 billion tax increase.

The law to increase taxes over the next two years comes as legislators seek to close a projected $900 million budget gap for that same period and bolster funding for K-12 schools under a Kansas Supreme Court order.

"It's a huge vote," said state Rep. Steven Johnson, a Republican and chairman of the House tax panel, adding that legislative leadership had explored many routes to find a tax solution that would gain sufficient support in both chambers. "It's a huge vote for looking for an option for Kansas among limited options."

Floor debates on taxes ran late into Tuesday evening, but in the end, 27 senators and 88 representatives rendered Brownback's veto — which had been handed down just hours earlier — irrelevant.

Passage of the tax bill brings to an end signature tax policies of the Brownback administration. Most of those policies were part of a 2012 law that exempted owners of more than 300,000 small businesses and became a political flashpoint in recent elections.

Why don't they just do like California and spend money they don't have and kick the can down the road?

Decades of taxing and spending and spending and taxing, and a 5 year attempt to try to stop that is lambasted as a "failure"

Five years is enough time to see a turn around.
If they did not adjust their government budget it wouldn't do any good. People and enterprise cannot survive in an area that is overburdened by taxes. Our system of government was never intended for government employees to get richer and more benefits than the average worker.
Salaries for government workers are lower then private sector, even with benefits.

That is a very broad statement. It also probably discounts the open ended nature of government pensions, time wise.

Democrats are crowing in victory about tax cuts, which means I will continue to not vote for them.

When Republicans raise taxes, it's only because they've run out of other options, and they don't brag about it or break out the champagne.

No, when Republicans raise taxes, it's only because they can no longer pretend that cutting taxes is the miracle cure for anything and everything that ails an economy.

I live in Kansas. I wouldn't call it a dump, but it has it's own problems like any other state.

I won't go as far as JBond does in bragging about the greatness of the rural Kansas citizen.

The thing here is that no one had to raise taxes. This is not about democrats always wanting to raise taxes. This is about a dumb ass republican government that cut taxes so severely that people were forced to raise taxes.

I'll tell you what. Reading the conservatives defense of Brownback's flopped plan, and their dodging & weaving excuses for why his plan failed and was reversed by his own political party, has been funny to read.

Conservatives are deranged. And California keeps booming, btw. They are clearly a better model than Kansas.

Forum List

Back