Juveniles and Crimes

LAfrique

VIP Member
May 16, 2011
Should a person be charged with murder the result of a crime committed when the perpetrator was a juvenile? Or should children be charged and convicted of felonies? If the system can reward people such as Dateline's "The Inside Man," then why are children not given chances for possible rehabilitation?

Don Wilburn Collins Sets Robert Middleton On Fire - Family of Splendora boy set on fire in '98 wants case reopened - Houston Chronicle

Middleton's Family Granted Award Against Child Criminal - Houston Family Wins $150 Billion Civil Suit In Son’s Death « CBS Houston

Convict Turned Informant Given Second Chance - 'Dateline' preview: Reformed drug dealer goes undercover in prison to find serial killer | ksdk.com

I was glad to know some areas have a Prisoner Re-entry Coalition to help ex-prisoners become decently gainful in society - Ex-offenders Get Second Chance with Career Fair in Reno - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -

I do not understood why the system has not figured that making criminal record available when people have served time or paid fines for offenses simply suppresses those people and make them more of a burden to rest of society, seeing they are able-bodied and yet are not employable by most employers.

I think when people have paid for their crimes, their records should be sealed; unless of course, if job sought is closely linked to past criminal activity. Remember that if ex-prisoners cannot work because of criminal record not linked to employment sought, then they become your burden.

Last edited:
Hello,

Juveniles are generally treated differently in the criminal justice system but sometimes they are treated as adults.More and more juveniles are being caught in crimes like murder, attempt to murder, rioting, dacoity and robbery.

I think it depends. Look at it on a case by case basis. Everyone is different. Murder is not always cut and dry.

In the case of murder, I think the victim's family should have a strong say in the application or not of any mitigating circumstances. As for lesser crimes, I do believe in certain special considerations for youth offenders except for crimes of violence that maim and/or handicap the victim or are of a sexual nature committed against other children.

Hello,

Juveniles are generally treated differently in the criminal justice system but sometimes they are treated as adults.More and more juveniles are being caught in crimes like murder, attempt to murder, rioting, dacoity and robbery.

Should we not then be addressing the root causes of violent or serious crimes by juveniles?

In the case of murder, I think the victim's family should have a strong say in the application or not of any mitigating circumstances. As for lesser crimes, I do believe in certain special considerations for youth offenders except for crimes of violence that maim and/or handicap the victim or are of a sexual nature committed against other children.

I agree to a certain degree: Problem here to deal with however would be uncontrolled emotion from families of victims.

I think it depends. Look at it on a case by case basis. Everyone is different. Murder is not always cut and dry.

I agree that murder is not always cut and dry: Today in Houston, jurors reached felony murder guilty verdict on Jessica Tata, young 24-year-old entrepreneur, whose act of negligence 2 years ago resulted in unfortunate deaths of 4 children in her daycare - Jurors convict Jessica Tata of murder in day care fire - Houston Chronicle

While I agree that the 22-year-old entrepreneur then is guilty of child abandonment and child neglect, I think the youthful mistake of this aspiring entrepreneur should not have been escalated to murder charge -

Interestingly, the jurors were so confused today by directives given to them that they made some mistakes in verdict and they had to be sent back to room to correct whatever mistake they made: I think whatever it was the jurors did wrong today could be grounds for new trial or a reversal in this case.

I do not think we should be destroying the lives of promising youths for youthful oversight. I pray that Jessica Tata (and other youths in same situation) get some mercy during their punishment phase.

Forum List

Back