Just Thinking

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
When people find themselves in financial dire straits, what do most intelligent people do? I know that when I've found myself in financial turmoil, I've cut my spending drastically and changed my lifestyle accordingly. I've also worked harder and more hours, at times for less pay. This was the only way I have ever been able to find that successfully improved my overall well being.

So when we as a country find ourselves in financial dire straits, why is it that the supposed answer to turning things around is a quick fix of spending even more money that we don't actually have? It seems to me that what works best for the individual should also work best for the collective, collective being us, the people of the US.

I'm sure there are many complex answers as to why our government needs to do more, but in the end, is this course we are headed on going to really help us or just do more harm?

Governments are not individuals.

Neither are they businesses.

My point is such false analogies are how we got into this mess to begin with.

People would LOVE to work harder...if they had jobs.

Today a couple million people who were productive members of society until recently are sitting idle and sweating losing their homes.

IN the vast majority of cases these newly unemployed are not unemployed because they weren't good workers, but because the economic system we cobbled together is out of kilter again, and so they are no longer needed.

Last edited:
We are in this situation because we tossed out the laws and told the police to sit at their desks and play scrabble instead of policing the streets.

Now here we are and our family is about to have brothers and sisters starving to death down the street and you think they should just save more money?

Please Please go study the great drepression and what people went through to survive?

Not just at Cato or some other right wing sight but at the history sites.

What you are asking to have us do will distroy this country. Doing nothing to fix the economy will have disastorus effects.

We are in this situation because we tossed out the laws and told the police to sit at their desks and play scrabble instead of policing the streets.

Now here we are and our family is about to have brothers and sisters starving to death down the street and you think they should just save more money?

Please Please go study the great drepression and what people went through to survive?

What you are asking to have us do will distroy this country. Doing nothing to fix the economy will have disastorus effects.

You can't blame people for not getting it, TM.

They've been fed a nearly continuous steam of lies about the economy for the last thirty years or so.

When people find themselves in financial dire straits, what do most intelligent people do? I know that when I've found myself in financial turmoil, I've cut my spending drastically and changed my lifestyle accordingly. I've also worked harder and more hours, at times for less pay. This was the only way I have ever been able to find that successfully improved my overall well being.

So when we as a country find ourselves in financial dire straits, why is it that the supposed answer to turning things around is a quick fix of spending even more money that we don't actually have? It seems to me that what works best for the individual should also work best for the collective, collective being us, the people of the US.

I'm sure there are many complex answers as to why our government needs to do more, but in the end, is this course we are headed on going to really help us or just do more harm?
We change our ways also. All the more reason the banks and corporates should never be bailed out.

For one I can see putting together social programs so people do not starve while this country get's it shit back together.

I can see getting money into programs that will help small manufactures with a hand up, not a hand out. I surely cannot see putting any of that money into the hands of the bankers for any reason.

There needs to be more money put into infastructure that benefits all. Instead of building hugh hospitals this time though build smaller clinics and put some money out there for those who want to go to college to be in the medical proffession. Our family doctor got through school on a goverment program. He opened shop in a small rural town that is very poor. In that his fulfilled his obligations of paying back the system. Great doctor. He was never in it for the money and I know their are more people out there just like him who have those ethical standards that the medical poroffession has gotten away from.

America's highway system is always in need. I would only suggest look at that with eyes wide open for the road construction business is very corrupt.

Water and sewage treatment facilities are needed throughout the country. There should not be a need for NPDS permits in any community out there for dumping raw sewage into the waterways large oir small.

Grants/low cost loans for small family farmers to build renewable energy systems. Regardless of it all everyone needs to eat and family farming gets the short end in many cases.

Fill the food pantries. This country will be needing that in the next ten years.

Put money into designing and manufacturing 12 volt household systems. It is the way of the future to run off of Solar and wind generation.

A few things I am sure others can come up with more.

Where do you dig up bullshit like this?

We change our ways also. All the more reason the banks and corporates should never be bailed out.

For one I can see putting together social programs so people do not starve while this country get's it shit back together.

I can see getting money into programs that will help small manufactures with a hand up, not a hand out. I surely cannot see putting any of that money into the hands of the bankers for any reason.

There needs to be more money put into infastructure that benefits all. Instead of building hugh hospitals this time though build smaller clinics and put some money out there for those who want to go to college to be in the medical proffession. Our family doctor got through school on a goverment program. He opened shop in a small rural town that is very poor. In that his fulfilled his obligations of paying back the system. Great doctor. He was never in it for the money and I know their are more people out there just like him who have those ethical standards that the medical poroffession has gotten away from.

America's highway system is always in need. I would only suggest look at that with eyes wide open for the road construction business is very corrupt.

Water and sewage treatment facilities are needed throughout the country. There should not be a need for NPDS permits in any community out there for dumping raw sewage into the waterways large oir small.

Grants/low cost loans for small family farmers to build renewable energy systems. Regardless of it all everyone needs to eat and family farming gets the short end in many cases.

Fill the food pantries. This country will be needing that in the next ten years.

Put money into designing and manufacturing 12 volt household systems. It is the way of the future to run off of Solar and wind generation.

A few things I am sure others can come up with more.

:clap2: Finally

I only posed the question as something to think about. You are certain doing nothing will destroy the economy. How do you come to this conclusion? Are you certain of the results based on the path we are now taking?

I'm not necessarily saying the path we are taking is the wrong one, but I do question it. Individuals and the government aren't all that different. An individual who finds themselves in financial trouble, and who then continues spending the same or even more money, and then tries to pay for it all on credit, will end up in bankruptcy. It's plain and simple.

A government that continues to borrow more and more is not likely to end up in much better shape. By pumping so much money into the economy, we could very well find ourselves seeing even stronger inflationary pressures as the buying power of the dollar sinks.

You are one of the few who understand that in order for solar and wind to be viable on a large scale, there must be a capacity to store electricity. In time, as battery technology advances, I think we will get to the point that solar and wind will become our main sources of energy.

A government that continues to borrow more and more is not likely to end up in much better shape. By pumping so much money into the economy, we could very well find ourselves seeing even stronger inflationary pressures as the buying power of the dollar sinks.

You seem to think that we are in an INFLATIONARY cycle.

We aren't.

In fact we are in what is turning out to be an extremely DEflationary cycle.

Now I quite agree that if we do this wrong and piss away money foolishly we could screw it up such that our money becomes worthless.

Have you ever started to slip on the ice while you were driving?

And when that happened, did you oversteer and end up skidding in the opposite direction?

Well, economically speaking we might do that to our economy, too, if we screw this up.

The potential harm of inflation is real and that would be catastropic.

The only problem is, if we do nothing, the potential harm of DEflation is guaranteed and probably even worse.

"So when we as a country find ourselves in financial dire straits, why is it that the supposed answer to turning things around is a quick fix of spending even more money that we don't actually have? It seems to me that what works best for the individual should also work best for the collective, collective being us, the people of the US.

I'm sure there are many complex answers as to why our government needs to do more, but in the end, is this course we are headed on going to really help us or just do more harm?"

ask Hoover

"So when we as a country find ourselves in financial dire straits, why is it that the supposed answer to turning things around is a quick fix of spending even more money that we don't actually have? It seems to me that what works best for the individual should also work best for the collective, collective being us, the people of the US.

I'm sure there are many complex answers as to why our government needs to do more, but in the end, is this course we are headed on going to really help us or just do more harm?"

ask Hoover

brilliant.

Great Depression, Great Depression, Great Depression....

Did you know that during the great depression, the government paid farmers to destroy their livestock and plowed under acres and acres of crops while people were starving and standing in bread lines?

google the Agricultural Adjustment Act of 1933

And you think the government is looking out for you.

I wonder what the current Administration will have us plowing under for the benefit of the economy

Did you know that during the great depression, the government paid farmers to destroy their livestock and plowed under acres and acres of crops while people were starving and standing in bread lines?

I wonder what the current Administration will have us plowing under for the benefit of the economy
Heck they been paying farmer/investors or anyone that could fraud a deed to keep the land idle for years. Nothing new under the sun.

Heck they been paying farmer/investors or anyone that could fraud a deed to keep the land idle for years. Nothing new under the sun.

So that makes it OK

The fucking government has no business telling farmer what they can or can't grow especially when that means destroying foodstuffs when people are going hungry.

And you you all still look to government to save you. Here's the question:

AT WHAT FUCKING COST?

What production will the government stifle under the threat of force this time under the guise of saving us?

The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule

If we do nothing and these industries fail then what happens to all the people employed by these huge industries?

Infrastructure is a great place to put the investments because you then have something to show for the money. I wish many more of you agreed back when people like me started pointing out it was crumbling a couple of years ago.

You have to realise we are helping to keep these industries alive because they keep people employed and if they die outright some other nation will be positioned to take up the slack and we would end up Buying even MORE foreign goods which sends OUR dollars elswhere without feeding our own economy.

Its so simple yet so many just refuse to understand what is really happening here. I guess we could just turn into a third world country. I dont like that choice though.

So that makes it OK

The fucking government has no business telling farmer what they can or can't grow especially when that means destroying foodstuffs when people are going hungry.

AT WHAT FUCKING COST?

What production will the government stifle under the threat of force this time under the guise of saving us?

I did not say that it makes it okay but hey take however you want your going to anyhow.

Answer your own questions.

So that makes it OK

AT WHAT FUCKING COST?

right...

please bring back the mining town.

I know walmart will save me.

please let me work for the master capitalist.

yes, if one thing is clear it's that capitalists will look out for the working man. hehehe...supply jobs...good wages...lol.

safety...

goddam:lol::lol::lol:

So when I see you at Walmart buying cheerios for $3 less a box than at the corner mom and pop store I can call you a hypocrite.

So when I see you at Walmart buying cheerios for $3 less a box than at the corner mom and pop store I can call you a hypocrite.

god some dumbaxx was just telling me some crap bout assumptions...

only time i go to the hell hole is to buy stuff for my work...which is like once a year.

Forum List

Back